ABF | pse question?

352- Avenel is running 3 PSE loads a night. Orange Conn. Wilkes Barre Pa & Hagerstown Md.. Freight seems to be very good. Sales dept is doing a good job selling the new service & transit times are very good.

I hate to ask this, but, What is a PSE Driver?

Article 18, page 83 of your NMFA book gives a brief description about what it is. I was under the impression that all the terminals in our state were supposed to get at least one PSE driver (also called RPM). Ask one of the other city drivers at your terminal to see when the implementation date will be for 005 as I know for sure that 005 was included in the COO proposal.

Any PSEs around Orange, CT here?

Anyone from the Northeast here? Would like to check up from 188/BUR, especially since the position that they hired for hasn't been created yet. And yet we stand around laid off waiting for the clouds to clear...

Which comes first, the business, or the position? Without the position, you move no freight, without freight, no job.

Anybody been on the starting line for this? How did your terminal handle it? Word up North here is we're too far from Orange for NDXP, but nothing on doing possible meet & turns with Carlisle.:hide:

Just curious & laid off until further notice...

Anyone from the Northeast here? Would like to check up from 188/BUR, especially since the position that they hired for hasn't been created yet. And yet we stand around laid off waiting for the clouds to clear...

Which comes first, the business, or the position? Without the position, you move no freight, without freight, no job.

Anybody been on the starting line for this? How did your terminal handle it? Word up North here is we're too far from Orange for NDXP, but nothing on doing possible meet & turns with Carlisle.:hide:

Just curious & laid off until further notice...
Here at the Rock (004) they had to hire two new fulltime positions for the dock/city before they could implement the NDXP but that was before we had a layoff. Our COO states that the company must hire for the number of positions being created for PSE or bring back the number of employees required to fill the positions from those that are on layoff. Also, our NDXP positions can only be filled by dock/city employees and the meet and turn runs (if we ever get that started) will be for road bid only.

New PSE Out of the Blocks

That is the sense that I got, that the CO is hiring before they get the work in place, so as to not leave customers hanging.

Only problem is that now they've got all the help they need in BUR, but freight's dropped thru the floor up here. They are pretty good at making money with what they do, but I get the sense, they almost don't want to try something up here if it doesn't make $$. Now would be the time, as a third of us up here are chilling out right now, lots of free time to try things out.

Only word is what's in the book, so far. Our BA is trying to convince them to post a bid to get things going, but I get the feeling that the work isn't there yet. Since it's a 40 hr bid separate from city, and we have no more road bid, it would be awesome for me if it got to the bottom, and then if it got slow, I'd get bumped the next week. My calculations would suggest an expensive person on the dock if things dropped off, so maybe that's the hitch?? Heard they recently expanded it down South or out West?

This board is good to share the news, because I can tell you we don't get a whole lot of news on the street as an EOL terminal, especially when things in CAR get slow too...

At 051, our PSE driver hasn't driven in over 2 months. The Hickory and Raleigh PSE men are in here every night picking up and dropping off our freight while our man just works the dock or yard. The bad thing is that our PSE man has about 12 years with the company while the other PSE guys in our region are new hires. What about "Seniority always prevails"? If you want my opinion, somebody is getting screwed!!!:nutkick:
HD75

If at first you don't succeed

I can definitely see where that conflict is, especially if YOU guys picked up YOUR freight for regional delivery, and then there is not enough to send your guy out, but THEY have enough to come to you, so then it has to move, right?

We at 188/BUR as an EOL terminal have almost the opposite problem. We generate more O/B than I/B (when it's busy, we get a ton from the border up north), and recently I heard thru the office that linehaul is having a problem with too many MT miles, so they were limiting road drivers bringing up MTs from PA if not enough freight. So what do we use to load? I am just glad I don't get to figure these things out. As far as PSE work goes up here, same deal, having to balance the work with the available drivers. We have plenty of drivers available, but not enough freight. Heard from one of our supervisors about Carlisle holding frieght past closing since not enough to fill trls, and stuff is stuck in Midwest due to weather.

I wonder if they have load coordinators play with blocks before they get hired, to see how they do?:hysterical:

The funny thing is they still make $$, wish I had that problem right now!

hey lowman
what's happening to you up north is what usually occurs to small remote end of the line terminals
pse was designed for major areas / regions of high density
it does not work well in low traffic freight lanes