XPO | PTO

I haven't heard any rumors of that yet . But I have been told that new hires are limited to 3 weeks after five years by Bruce Moss. Is anyone doing vacation bids yet? Do you think thell mess with Con-way legacy employee PTO?
I know all other US based Xpo entities are limited to 15 days of PTO..

I'm glad at Xph that PTO being one of are current terms of employment that they can't mess with ours

Last edited:
At our terminal employees can only bid 2 weeks at a time. Basically everybody requests the 2 weeks and 5 single days, if any, they want the most. Next week everyone with vacation left requests the next 2 weeks and single days they want the most, etc. The idea is to give people who aren't earning 6 or 7 weeks a shot at getting some of the premium days to. I don't agree with it but I understand it. In my opinion if you've been here 25 years you should be able to decide which 7 weeks you want off first and the low man just gonna have to put the time in.

At our terminal employees can only bid 2 weeks at a time. Basically everybody requests the 2 weeks and 5 single days, if any, they want the most. Next week everyone with vacation left requests the next 2 weeks and single days they want the most, etc. The idea is to give people who aren't earning 6 or 7 weeks a shot at getting some of the premium days to. I don't agree with it but I understand it. In my opinion if you've been here 25 years you should be able to decide which 7 weeks you want off first and the low man just gonna have to put the time in.
Hey when I started 25 yrs ago I didnt a summer vacation either

Do you think thell mess with Con-way legacy employee PTO?

I don't. We get a lot more PTO than other LTLs- so they can cut it for new hires and no one loses anything. On the other hand, if they took PTO away from the veteran employees it would bring all of the paranoia and suspicion that they've been trying to knock down rushing back all at once. And yes, it would probably push some barns toward those guys on the corner. Not worth it.

I'm glad at Xph that PTO being one of are current terms of employment that they can't mess with ours

Freezing current terms is all well and good until it's no longer as good as what the rest of us are getting. No telling what might happen in the next 5 or 10 or more years.

In my opinion if you've been here 25 years you should be able to decide which 7 weeks you want off first and the low man just gonna have to put the time in.

I think that's going too far- PTO is one of the things that keeps people around, and what good is it if all you get is the third week in February or some other useless date for 20 years?

I don't. We get a lot more PTO than other LTLs- so they can cut it for new hires and no one loses anything. On the other hand, if they took PTO away from the veteran employees it would bring all of the paranoia and suspicion that they've been trying to knock down rushing back all at once. And yes, it would probably push some barns toward those guys on the corner. Not worth it.

Freezing current terms is all well and good until it's no longer as good as what the rest of us are getting. No telling what might happen in the next 5 or 10 or more years.

I think that's going too far- PTO is one of the things that keeps people around, and what good is it if all you get is the third week in February or some other useless date for 20 years?
I disagree, part of getting those good weeks off is digging in and putting the time in. Again seniority doesn't mean much here but vacation time for a driver who stuck it out matters.

I think as it has become harder to retain drivers as pay and benefits have stagnated or regressed. One tool upper management can use to try to retain drivers is trying to give less senior drivers a chance to bid on prime weeks. They can do this by only allowing those of us with seniority to bid only part of are earned PTO in the first round during selection period to allow less senior employees some of the prime weeks. Like i said its very difficult to please everyone. I have been at the bottom of seniority list and its very frustrating to say the least if you can't get the days you want. I feel for you. The guys who have endured 20 plus years of Con-way/XPO employment (lets face their are less demanding company's to work for) have earned their PTO time and the right to use it as they see fit in the bidding process They have all earned it and been at the bottom.

Last edited:
There are 52 weeks in a year. Drivers with higher seniority take most of the desirable weeks for vacation. The solution: limit how many weeks senior drivers may bid.

What if we applied this logic to start times? The drivers that start at 6:00am get to make it home for dinner , that's not fair to the junior drivers so senior drivers have to split their bid with drivers that don't have enough time to bid early starts.

Or , let's do it for linehaul - these short runs and all this time on the dock can't be fair to the newer drivers. Let the drivers on the longest runs split their bid with the junior drivers.

I know this seems ridiculous , but where do you draw the line? I guess it depends on if you are a junior or a senior driver.

When I was in the position of being low man on the pole I wished I could have top picks but I also realized I had a paid pension and a 401K with match, 10 paid sick days, hourly safety bonus and an excellent ICP bonus. I knew if I hung in there I would get a better pick eventually but I also had these incentives as listed to make it worth my time. Now these are all gone and Jr men look to see what do I have that keeps me here? Management looks at it what can we give them to retain them that really won't cost us anymore. Its easy to take from the top if we allow them that freedom.

Well if you made a phone call to HR, you could get that fixed. Your terminal is doing it wrong. Senority gets to pick all their weeks, without a limit. I believe senority should account for something and picking vacation time is one of them. Weve all been in the same low senority position and not been able to get the weeks we wanted. When I was there, my kids were in school and I would have loved to have some prime weeks. Now I get them and I cherish them, just like the low senority guys will one day. I think the problem now is the younger generation cry about everything. We just dealt with it, its the way it was and the way it should stay. I really dont think theyll change the bidding process. Its one of the quickest ways to get this place to organize. Deal with it, if you stay long enough youll get the good vacation weeks too.

Well if you made a phone call to HR, you could get that fixed. Your terminal is doing it wrong. Senority gets to pick all their weeks, without a limit. I believe senority should account for something and picking vacation time is one of them. Weve all been in the same low senority position and not been able to get the weeks we wanted. When I was there, my kids were in school and I would have loved to have some prime weeks. Now I get them and I cherish them, just like the low senority guys will one day. I think the problem now is the younger generation cry about everything. We just dealt with it, its the way it was and the way it should stay. I really dont think theyll change the bidding process. Its one of the quickest ways to get this place to organize. Deal with it, if you stay long enough youll get the good vacation weeks too.
100 percent correct.

They pulled that at our terminal last year but I don't think it will float this year. It's very hard for them to retain and attract new drivers st our location maybe it's not at others and thats why they can stick to original selection process.

I think as it has become harder to retain drivers as pay and benefits have stagnated or regressed. One tool upper management can use to try to retain drivers is trying to give less senior drivers a chance to bid on prime weeks. They can do this by only allowing those of us with seniority to bid only part of are earned PTO in the first round during selection period to allow less senior employees some of the prime weeks. Like i said its very difficult to please everyone. I have been at the bottom of seniority list and its very frustrating to say the least if you can't get the days you want. I feel for you. The guys who have endured 20 plus years of Con-way/XPO employment (lets face their are less demanding company's to work for) have earned their PTO time and the right to use it as they see fit in the bidding process They have all earned it and been at the bottom.

WOW! You are sounding like the "Participation Trophy, Everyone's a winner, and We don't keep score generation.
I'm on the bottom of the list and I believe the senior guy should be able to bid all there time off at one time, they earned it. I take my vacation in the fall and winter months or early spring. I found out that it's cheaper, there less crowds, and all the ankle bitters (kids) are in school.

I worked for other companies and seen a lot of different vacation policies but none as good as this one. The company I left to come here gave you one week vacation and 2 floating holidays after 1 full year of employment and it was use it by Dec 31 or you lose it. They also have a limit on the number of driver allowed off in a week just like here.

They pulled that at our terminal last year but I don't think it will float this year. It's very hard for them to retain and attract new drivers st our location maybe it's not at others and thats why they can stick to original selection process.

If it hard to keep driver at you location I sure this rumor on the street wont help either. The word on the street is XPH is losing all it long linehaul runs effected Jan 1. any truth to that.

There are 52 weeks in a year. Drivers with higher seniority take most of the desirable weeks for vacation. The solution: limit how many weeks senior drivers may bid.

What if we applied this logic to start times? The drivers that start at 6:00am get to make it home for dinner , that's not fair to the junior drivers so senior drivers have to split their bid with drivers that don't have enough time to bid early starts.

Or , let's do it for linehaul - these short runs and all this time on the dock can't be fair to the newer drivers. Let the drivers on the longest runs split their bid with the junior drivers.

I know this seems ridiculous , but where do you draw the line? I guess it depends on if you are a junior or a senior driver.

There is no need to draw a line. That why they call it a SENOIRTY LIST.
If you don't like it then leave or stick it out and in time you will be near the top