XPO | PTO

There are 52 weeks in a year. Drivers with higher seniority take most of the desirable weeks for vacation. The solution: limit how many weeks senior drivers may bid.

What if we applied this logic to start times? The drivers that start at 6:00am get to make it home for dinner , that's not fair to the junior drivers so senior drivers have to split their bid with drivers that don't have enough time to bid early starts.

Or , let's do it for linehaul - these short runs and all this time on the dock can't be fair to the newer drivers. Let the drivers on the longest runs split their bid with the junior drivers.

I know this seems ridiculous , but where do you draw the line? I guess it depends on if you are a junior or a senior driver.
Seniority rules are supreme in a union shop. And used to some extent in non-union shops. AS a newbie there were some rules I didn't like because I was @ the bottom of the board. 17 years later I say 'Thank God for seniority. '

There are 52 weeks in a year. Drivers with higher seniority take most of the desirable weeks for vacation. The solution: limit how many weeks senior drivers may bid.

What if we applied this logic to start times? The drivers that start at 6:00am get to make it home for dinner , that's not fair to the junior drivers so senior drivers have to split their bid with drivers that don't have enough time to bid early starts.

Or , let's do it for linehaul - these short runs and all this time on the dock can't be fair to the newer drivers. Let the drivers on the longest runs split their bid with the junior drivers.

I know this seems ridiculous , but where do you draw the line? I guess it depends on if you are a junior or a senior driver.
You dont draw a line.. its called seniority nobody felt sorry for me when I couldnt get a prime vacation these newer guys expect to much. i wonder how they would act with a dash fan for air cond, no power steering, spring ride

You dont draw a line.. its called seniority nobody felt sorry for me when I couldnt get a prime vacation these newer guys expect to much. i wonder how they would act with a dash fan for air cond, no power steering, spring ride
Exactly. ABF Indy hired a 23 year old person for full time employment. They were 2 weeks past their 30 day probation period & were bitchin to any one who listen as to why they had to take the worst runs each day, or the floor load that had to be swung off a van to a pup. Needless to say they are still there. Maybe because they could not find a starting job of 21.00 an hour any where else. Imagine that. von.

We are only allowed 3 drivers combined line haul and city on any given day to be off .It really has more constraints to who can have off than anything. I always felt we should allow part time drivers to fill in these time periods during heavy demand. There has to be people that want only to drive part time. If the works not there than they don't work.

We are only allowed 3 drivers combined line haul and city on any given day to be off .It really has more constraints to who can have off than anything. I always felt we should allow part time drivers to fill in these time periods during heavy demand. There has to be people that want only to drive part time. If the works not there than they don't work.
Not sure the amount at my barn but I do know they post the weeks that only 3 are allowed off

Yes, most terminals are allowing less drivers offf on a given week. There lies a bigger problem. Let 4 drivers off a week instead of reducing the number to 3. As far as finding part time drivers, they cant even find full time drivers. Conway/XPO has a bad reputation with how they treat their people. 10 yrs ago people were knocking down the doors to work here.

Yes, most terminals are allowing less drivers offf on a given week. There lies a bigger problem. Let 4 drivers off a week instead of reducing the number to 3. As far as finding part time drivers, they cant even find full time drivers. Conway/XPO has a bad reputation with how they treat their people. 10 yrs ago people were knocking down the doors to work here.
Back then that's why they could treat you like dirt because there was a line outside the door wanting your job. Not like that anymore.

If it hard to keep driver at you location I sure this rumor on the street wont help either. The word on the street is XPH is losing all it long linehaul runs effected Jan 1. any truth to that.
Not a rumor! We were informed of this change on Wednesday and we're told it's company wide,company wide means just xph unless anybody else is losing their longest runs.we haven't heard of anyone else losing runs,short,long or otherwise,seems very much like retaliation for voting for the union. Feels very much like a tactic "watch this all you potential union voters,try and organize and see what happens" well if it is they'll have some 'splainin to do and we do have people investigating this as we speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a rumor! We were informed of this change on Wednesday and we're told it's company wide,company wide means just xph unless anybody else is losing their longest runs.we haven't heard of anyone else losing runs,short,long or otherwise,seems very much like retaliation for voting for the union. Feels very much like a tactic "watch this all you potential union voters,try and organize and see what happens" well if it is they'll have some 'splainin to do and we do have people investigating this as we speak. If ANYONE is losing runs please email where and what to [email protected] Thanks
So what splaining would the XPO have to do. Just because you voted in the union doesn't mean everything the company does is a retaliation. You may think so. The company still has the right to run its company the best way it sees fit. The only thing they can't do is close your barn down as far as I know. They can cut runs and even take zip codes away you service and give them to other barns. This is one of the big problem with an end of the line barn going union before the big FACs. Go investigate but I don't believe your going to find any wrong doing.

So what splaining would the XPO have to do. Just because you voted in the union doesn't mean everything the company does is a retaliation. You may think so. The company still has the right to run its company the best way it sees fit. The only thing they can't do is close your barn down as far as I know. They can cut runs and even take zip codes away you service and give them to other barns. This is one of the big problem with an end of the line barn going union before the big FACs. Go investigate but I don't believe your going to find any wrong doing.

When these knuckleheads tried to vote here the company cut runs before there was even a vote. Still haven't recovered from that. We lost a bunch and it never returned. Good luck getting upset over that.

Just curious. Many rumors going around about how bad they cut you guys. What did they leave you ? We heard they rerouted a bunch of freight also. So that you will have fewer runs to boot.

When these knuckleheads tried to vote here the company cut runs before there was even a vote. Still haven't recovered from that. We lost a bunch and it never returned. Good luck getting upset over that.

Just curious. Many rumors going around about how bad they cut you guys. What did they leave you ? We heard they rerouted a bunch of freight also. So that you will have fewer runs to boot.
The only run they cut out was Richmond. We will no longer run that out of here. They made these cuts before over the years and they brought them back. The Richmond will be Run into Hagerstown and delay freight a day possibly. We have a problem with very late arrivals delaying are inbound.
We will have the same amount of runs.
As for this being retaliatory I don't see it as that. If for some reason it comes to light that it was we will deal with that.
We are so operationally challenged and overwhelmed right now and the customers are suffering because of it. We are hoping they can get this place better managed soon. The drivers as always are keeping the ship afloat through their hard work.

Last edited:
You mean take vacation time you schedule and convert it too 5 sick days we can no longer schedule? That would really suck!
Of course if they did that they probably blame it on some government policy and people would buy into.
Let's hope that's just a rumor.

They be stupid to do that.
That would suck for you guys not trying to be a smart ass but I keep forgetting that won't apply to me.

Last edited:
I doubt this. Why? Because we used to have this set up. And since I've been here , once it's gone , it's gone.
I think there not talking about gaining 5 sick days but reclassifing some of your PTO. The only reason it would work for the company as it would keep you from bidding 1 week during the bidding process thus allowing more weeks open and give the company more people on staff at Any given time.
Sick time can be more strictly managed and discourage to use vs regular PTO.
Again all speculation.. we will find out soon enough.
Hopefully it will all stand the same

I think there not talking about gaining 5 sick days but reclassifing some of your PTO. The only reason it would work for the company as it would keep you from bidding 1 week during the bidding process thus allowing more weeks open and give the company more people on staff at Any given time.
Sick time can be more strictly managed and discourage to use vs regular PTO.
Again all speculation.. we will find out soon enough.
Hopefully it will all stand the same
I didn't say we would gain or loose days in one category or another. In the past we had sick days. In the past we had vacation time without having to accrue time to use them.

According to the company , getting rid of these practices of sick days and vacation days without having to accrue time to use them save millions upon millions of dollars , based on bookkeeping differences.

I don't see the current management giving up any money or time to drivers.

I didn't say we would gain or loose days in one category or another. In the past we had sick days. In the past we had vacation time without having to accrue time to use them.

According to the company , getting rid of these practices of sick days and vacation days without having to accrue time to use them save millions upon millions of dollars , based on bookkeeping differences.

I don't see the current management giving up any money or time to drivers.
Good point

Hold on guys bend over and grab your ankles there's a reason they are starting to enforce a point system for sick days and tardiness ....
What happened to good ole Con-way days ? Its all about doing more with less now more than ever.