XPO | PTO

Its a policy that says we are going to STEAL from you if you quit or get fired. There should be a law against it and I will bet you someone will sue over it. How can you take something that has already been earned and saved? Oh wait, they already did it in 2009 and we did nothing about it.
You think this is bad there are companies that are use or lose and if you quit or get fired don't have to pay you a dime of you vacation time.

What a crock of :::shit::: !!!! What is the logic in this ...will somebody please explain ? You earned It! What the :censored: is up with these people? They must stay up all night to think of ways of screwing Us !!!

Ok somebody's gonna justify this Tic tock tic....
How is this any different then union pensions decreasing there retiree month payment. Didn't they earn it too

Last edited:
Its a policy that says we are going to STEAL from you if you quit or get fired. There should be a law against it and I will bet you someone will sue over it. How can you take something that has already been earned and saved? Oh wait, they already did it in 2009 and we did nothing about it.
Somebody gets it.:clapping:

Some of you need to see what other companies are doing with vacation time and see we don't have it that bad. This is the first place I worked were you started accruing PTO time after you 90 days and was able to carry time into the next year. At most places you have to work at least 1yr to get paid vacation time and then it takes 5 or more years to get 3 weeks. On top of that your vac time is use or lose and if you are fired or quit they pay you nothing for anytime you have not used. I heard that the bosses have until march 17 to let them know if they are going to use ALL of the PTO time they have saved by 2019 and if they don't they lose it. They can also sell it back to the company for 50cents in the dollar.

I think they just don't want the financial liability if people banking hundreds of hours for years and years waiting on a retirement payday. Just positioning us to have to take what we earn yearly or lose it.

I think they just don't want the financial liability if people banking hundreds of hours for years and years waiting on a retirement payday. Just positioning us to have to take what we earn yearly or lose it.
At least they are not touching what we will have saved up by the end of this year. For now.

I have a question - Did anyone that had the meeting get ANYTHING in writing? I know we didn't.

What difference would that make? I think they're being very careful about how they make changes these days- they're not going to rile up the natives by lying to your face or pretending they didn't tell you something.

Its a policy that says we are going to STEAL from you if you quit or get fired.

It's not stealing- they're saying that you after 1 Jan. you have to use everything you accrue each year or you lose it when you quit. If you don't quit or get fired, you don't lose it. If you spend it all before you quit, you don't lose it. You still get everything you have saved up until 1 Jan, and everything you accrue in the year you leave.

It's all spelled out, and nothing is retroactive. No one will lose anything if they quit until 2018 at the earliest. What are they stealing, exactly?

There should be a law against it and I will bet you someone will sue over it.
Come on. What are you going to sue them for? You want a law that says companies have to pay you everything you accrue, period, end of story? What do you think that's going to do to the amount of PTO you get?

How can you take something that has already been earned and saved?
They aren't. Everything you've gotten, you keep. Next year, the "saving" part is conditional. It doesn't belong to you.

I think they just don't want the financial liability if people banking hundreds of hours for years and years waiting on a retirement payday.

You can still get the retirement payday- the only things that will cost you PTO time are quitting and getting fired.

Its just another phase in the race to the bottom.

Like FBN said, we're a long way from the bottom. Even our new employees will be doing better than the senior men at a lot of LTLs when it comes to PTO.

What difference would that make? I think they're being very careful about how they make changes these days- they're not going to rile up the natives by lying to your face or pretending they didn't tell you something.

It's not stealing- they're saying that you after 1 Jan. you have to use everything you accrue each year or you lose it when you quit. If you don't quit or get fired, you don't lose it. If you spend it all before you quit, you don't lose it. You still get everything you have saved up until 1 Jan, and everything you accrue in the year you leave.

It's all spelled out, and nothing is retroactive. No one will lose anything if they quit until 2018 at the earliest. What are they stealing, exactly?

Come on. What are you going to sue them for? You want a law that says companies have to pay you everything you accrue, period, end of story? What do you think that's going to do to the amount of PTO you get?

They aren't. Everything you've gotten, you keep. Next year, the "saving" part is conditional. It doesn't belong to you.
If something was in writing , it would indicate some type of forethought placed into implementation of this policy. I'm sure the legal and human resources people vetted this change thourouly but little to no time was spent on explanations and information for affected employees.

Seems to be a pattern/style of management. Little to no concern about an effective rollout of something new , when if done correctly in the first place , could have avoided confusion and misunderstandings.

Now , you have multiple messages being sent out based on the interpretations of terminal managers and whomever else the new policy gets filtered through.

I'm sure this will get fixed - but it didn't need to be a problem in the first place.

You can still get the retirement payday- the only things that will cost you PTO time are quitting and getting fired.

Like FBN said, we're a long way from the bottom. Even our new employees will be doing better than the senior men at a lot of LTLs when it comes to PTO.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a union man say in a different thread that you have to work 2yrs before you earn vacation time. And I thought the union look out for its members

If something was in writing , it would indicate some type of forethought placed into implementation of this policy. I'm sure the legal and human resources people vetted this change thourouly but little to no time was spent on explanations and information for affected employees.

Seems to be a pattern/style of management. Little to no concern about an effective rollout of something new , when if done correctly in the first place , could have avoided confusion and misunderstandings.

Now , you have multiple messages being sent out based on the interpretations of terminal managers and whomever else the new policy gets filtered through.

I'm sure this will get fixed - but it didn't need to be a problem in the first place.
I don't know about you but ours was typed out very nicely on a slideshow. Someone had to type that up and after I read it there was no misinterpretion on my part I understood it completely

I don't know about you but ours was typed out very nicely on a slideshow. Someone had to type that up and after I read it there was no misinterpretion on my part I understood it completely

Yeah, we got ours in a PowerPoint as well. I did notice at the bottom of the slides a disclaimer that said they are for internal use only and are not to be distributed.

The telephone game isn't something I think they're going to be able to fix. If you're not getting the same videos and PowerPoints and whatever else is getting sent out, then that's a problem they can and should fix.

If the concern is about how contaminated the message gets second- or third-hand on a message board like this or on the FAC dock, I don't see how they can prevent that. We read the slides the managers were using to explain the policy- hard to spin it that way.

Anyway... they sat us all down and explained it and gave us a chance to ask questions- what else should they do?

How is this any different then union pensions decreasing there retiree month payment. Didn't they earn it too
I'm not going to debate the union thing any longer and it doesn't belong in this topic . The difference is a few of the pension plans out of hundreds are underfunded . This PTO policy unlike that is being funded and offered by a company that is making money and doing better month over month and can afford it. :off topic:

We shouldn't lose anything at this point with a profitable company and the current high demand for drivers. If you use the argument that our PTO policy is better than the competition and we haven't bottom out yet than I feel bad for you that your self worth is so low. If we allow a race to the bottom to include us it only perpetuates all of are wages and benefits degrading industry wide. I know the free market bullshit and that's where it's going but we are fools to let it happen . If left to the free market the outcome will be people doing this for nothing and the safety of are roadways will become unbearable. Don't follow the mind set they everything is ok to take from us.

It is your responsibility to make sure you know the new PTO policy inside and out and ask questions.
This company so far has not been a good communicator . Ask if your not sure and don't be afraid to ask the rationale as to why its changed.

I have not seen the new policy yet but as far as what I here they went in a different direction with the new hires from what we were told by Bruce Moss a couple months ago. I applaud this if it's is the fact. It will allow us to hire better Quality drivers. I don't mind being wrong if it benefits us

Last edited:
What's wrong with using all of your PTO time?[/QUOTE]

Around my barn with my lower level of seniority it is impossible for me to use all of my PTO time. We have around 200 drivers and for the past 6 months or so they have only been allowing 5-7 maybe 8 at most off on any given day, they claim this is due to the high number of people on "light duty" but no one believes that line! What I'm getting at is first they start chopping the # of people allowed to scheduled PTO, now they say they won't pay us what we accure going forward if we leave, how convienent for them seeing as how I don't have much choice but to let my PTO build up since us bottom feeders aren't able to schedule any