XPO | PTO

Oh, I thought you would stand up for your less compensated brothers and refuse to accept more PTO than them as an act of defiance and principle.
I actually think that it's unfair. They work at the same place I do....Remember Conway is dead. I was actually surprised when they left ours alone, but it does give new employees something to talk about as do the other things that are different within our own company. If they chose to make a big deal out of it, of course I'd support them. Some of us know what it's like to be treated differently. Some don't. Basic differences do cause issues. (Unless it doesn't affect some. They usually don't care.)

On the PTO subject. Does anyone really know what's happening? Because from the meeting we had they said No changes for people who have been working at the company before 2017. All Employees who are hired on 2017 will have changes. My question is if your a new hire how can you have changes on something you've never had? It's just new policy for all new Employees..
Now .for us who have been working at the company before 2017. Drom what i understand was. That what ever you earned while under Conway was banked in a different account. And that the 2017 XPO PTO earnings would start being banked in a different account. Either way if you quit or got fired and you had PTO saved you would loose it all. Also that if took PTO in 2017 you would use up the new 2017 PTO before you used the 2016 PTO. So there is changes. Amd by the way they never said anything about rolling over PTO. Has anyone else noticed we are all loosing PTO?if you don't use your time every year. You stop earning PTO that means the company doesn't have to pay you and you just keep giving them production which means free money for management. But then if you do use all your PTO and get sick and have to take time off then you have to pay that time back..
So TO ME that's a big change in PTO policy.
And that's why we have PTO and not vacation or sick day. It's easier for them to make free money..
Again this is just my Opinion and what i have noticed.. I'm just a 3rd rate citizen in this company..

On the PTO subject. Does anyone really know what's happening? Because from the meeting we had they said No changes for people who have been working at the company before 2017. All Employees who are hired on 2017 will have changes. My question is if your a new hire how can you have changes on something you've never had? It's just new policy for all new Employees..
Now .for us who have been working at the company before 2017. Drom what i understand was. That what ever you earned while under Conway was banked in a different account. And that the 2017 XPO PTO earnings would start being banked in a different account. Either way if you quit or got fired and you had PTO saved you would loose it all. Also that if took PTO in 2017 you would use up the new 2017 PTO before you used the 2016 PTO. So there is changes. Amd by the way they never said anything about rolling over PTO. Has anyone else noticed we are all loosing PTO?if you don't use your time every year. You stop earning PTO that means the company doesn't have to pay you and you just keep giving them production which means free money for management. But then if you do use all your PTO and get sick and have to take time off then you have to pay that time back..
And that's why we have PTO and not vacation or sick day. It's easier for them to make free money..
Again this is just my Opinion and what i have noticed.. I'm just a 3rd rate citizen in this company..
It has changed. Under the vacation policy, we couldn't be forced to take vacation time when we were off hurt or sick. The change to the PTO system gave management the ability to "dock" us PTO time for being hurt, sick, or even off for FMLA without our approval. They can even take partials to make an 8 hour day if you left work early.
I was told any banked time before 2017 goes to a legacy bank that cannot be touched until your present PTO is zero. Like you take a week off and only have 20 hour presently, the additional 20 would come from your legacy bank. The legacy bank cannot be lost due to separation from the company and would be paid out.
Any time that you roll over and bank after 2017 will be absorbed (taken) by the company for separation of ANY reason, whether you quit, retire, or are terminated. Basically, use it or lose it policy. You can still bank or roll over time, it's just a gamble.

All PTO you had saved in your bank as of 31 Dec 16 is put into a legacy bank. Which means you will be paid those day when you leave the company if there is anything in that bank when you leave.
Going forward lets say you earn 120hrs (3 weeks) of PTO in 2017 but during that year you only use 80hrs(10 days) which means you have have a balance of 40hrs (5days) at the end of the year that balance is carried over into the next year. Now in 2018 when you put in PTO you will use the hours you received in 2018 first, then the hrs you carried over from 2017, and finally the last bank they go to is you legacy back.

Ok for this lets say you earn 2.308hrs per week of PTO. You carried over 10hrs from 2017. You have a legacy bank (prior 2016) balance of 100hrs
Now you want to take the 2nd week of Jan 2018 off (40hrs of PTO) They will first draw from the 2018 bank which is 2.308 hrs (you only worked on week in 2018). then they go to the 2017 bank and take the 10hrs. This has a total of 12.308hrs. Finally the go to you legacy bank for the rest 27.692hrs which give you a total of 40 PTO hrs pay.
You will still carry over hrs but when you put in for PTO they draw from that current year bank and go backwards from there. The big change is that when you leave here (quit, retire) they will only pay the unused balance from the current year and your legacy bank.
If you leave in 2018 and have a balance for 40hrs pto you earned in 2018, a carry over of 10hrs from 2017, and a legacy bank of 100hrs. the company will only pay you for the 2018 hrs and the legacy bank which is 140hrs. That's the BIG change.
The different is current employees have a legacy bank and new employees hired after 2017 don't.

I hope this helps if not talk to HR maybe they can explain it better.

Last edited:
It has changed. Under the vacation policy, we couldn't be forced to take vacation time when we were off hurt or sick. The change to the PTO system gave management the ability to "dock" us PTO time for being hurt, sick, or even off for FMLA without our approval. They can even take partials to make an 8 hour day if you left work early.
I was told any banked time before 2017 goes to a legacy bank that cannot be touched until your present PTO is zero. Like you take a week off and only have 20 hour presently, the additional 20 would come from your legacy bank. The legacy bank cannot be lost due to separation from the company and would be paid out.
Any time that you roll over and bank after 2017 will be absorbed (taken) by the company for separation of ANY reason, whether you quit, retire, or are terminated. Basically, use it or lose it policy. You can still bank or roll over time, it's just a gamble.

Yes just remember in 2018 and every year after you legacy bank cannot be touched until all previous years pto is at zero. So in 2018 your 2018 bank and 2017 bank must be a zero before they touch you legacy bank. So those that saved time will make out in the end.

I believe they did it this way because they know if they went to a true "use or lose" they would have a lot of call-off near the end of the year.,

I'm starting to believe some barn didn't show the same video I saw. I had a few question on it and the video explained it very well. What about you

I'm starting to believe some barn didn't show the same video I saw. I had a few question on it and the video explained it very well. What about you
We had a video. But all the new manager and HR said was. There is no changes if you been working here. if you start working in 2017 there is changes and this video is mostly for the new hire's. They said there was new cap's in how much PTO is earned but only for new hire's. Everyone stay's the same.
So my question is. If started let's say before The Doug stutler era(or 18 years ago). What kind of benefits did you earned?? Also what kind of Pension and 401 was promised when you first started? This question is for all in the different Regions.. We all ready know some regions didnt and dont get OT.

One big problem we are seeing is trying to schedule our pto time. Management is allowing less people off many weeks making it tough to get any decent weeks. I understand the seniority thing, but with 12 years in, I may not be able to get one week this summer. One big point our manager made during our "meeting" about the pto policy going forward was, the company wants you to take your pto time, not bank it. Hence the use it or lose it thing. It's going to be hard to use it if you only allow one l/h and one city driver off many weeks of the year. If you don't book whatever is left right now, you will end up taking a day here and a day there, and it won't be a Monday or Friday either. Those are gone to the senior guys too! My resolution, make friends with your primary care physician and call in. Sad, but true. I understand the need for proper staffing, but this is ridiculous.

One big problem we are seeing is trying to schedule our pto time. Management is allowing less people off many weeks making it tough to get any decent weeks. I understand the seniority thing, but with 12 years in, I may not be able to get one week this summer. One big point our manager made during our "meeting" about the pto policy going forward was, the company wants you to take your pto time, not bank it. Hence the use it or lose it thing. It's going to be hard to use it if you only allow one l/h and one city driver off many weeks of the year. If you don't book whatever is left right now, you will end up taking a day here and a day there, and it won't be a Monday or Friday either. Those are gone to the senior guys too! My resolution, make friends with your primary care physician and call in. Sad, but true. I understand the need for proper staffing, but this is ridiculous.
This is SOOO right. I also asked , for those of us with time to burn and we don't want to loose it - Is the policy still in place that allows you to take double the time of PTO to use it twice as fast?

Thus was never popular , but it would be useful in situations where there's a lot of PTO and few open days available. It would always be better to use the PTO and get paid than to loose them.

I asked , how far will management go to make sure that drivers are able to schedule PTO? Does management hold ANY responsibility if staffing is too short to allow PTO to be used? Will drivers be forced to call off? Will drivers be forced to to take undesirable days off?

Still not clear on companies position , but I am clear on what I will do.

Wow you they are only allowing 2 drivers off per day. How big is your barn. We can have 5 off at a time with a few weeks were we are limited to 3 per week

This is SOOO right. I also asked , for those of us with time to burn and we don't want to loose it - Is the policy still in place that allows you to take double the time of PTO to use it twice as fast?

Thus was never popular , but it would be useful in situations where there's a lot of PTO and few open days available. It would always be better to use the PTO and get paid than to loose them.

I asked , how far will management go to make sure that drivers are able to schedule PTO? Does management hold ANY responsibility if staffing is too short to allow PTO to be used? Will drivers be forced to call off? Will drivers be forced to to take undesirable days off?

Still not clear on companies position , but I am clear on what I will do.
As far as I know you can still request up to 12hrs per day 60 per week. It is all paid at straight time.
The reason this was changed is the linehaul drivers lose a lot when they take off

We had a video. But all the new manager and HR said was. There is no changes if you been working here. if you start working in 2017 there is changes and this video is mostly for the new hire's. They said there was new cap's in how much PTO is earned but only for new hire's. Everyone stay's the same.
So my question is. If started let's say before The Doug stutler era(or 18 years ago). What kind of benefits did you earned?? Also what kind of Pension and 401 was promised when you first started? This question is for all in the different Regions.. We all ready know some regions didnt and dont get OT.
What does the Doug Stutle era have to do with anything. Con-Way is dead. If you don't like the way this company is heading then why didn't you fork out 3 billion and buy it and run it the way you see fit.
What was given or promised 18yrs ago was 18yrs ago was with a different company. I sorry to but it time to get over it.

What does the Doug Stutle era have to do with anything. Con-Way is dead. If you don't like the way this company is heading then why didn't you fork out 3 billion and buy it and run it the way you see fit.
What was given or promised 18yrs ago was 18yrs ago was with a different company. I sorry to but it time to get over it.
It's funny you keep saying Conway is dead and to look in the bone yard. I did look in bone yard i didn't see any of the upper management or Head HR in there. But i still see them running this company the way Doug made his money. Just because they changed the name of the dog doesn't mean it's not a dog. Even in the last meeting they said we ****ed up we should have stayed with the old customers. And were going to try to get them back. But guess what. If the worker's aren't there to support the business that 3 billion dollar credit will tumble like a house of cards. Maybe you don't realize but upper management got their bonuses before the holidays. How was yours??

You guys need to remember that it was under Dougie's regime that you had your vacation converted to PTO , automatically loosing a week right off the top. It was under Dougie's regime that you lost your pension. I believe that it was under Dougie's regime that you started paying or at least a lot more towards your health care. Give him the credit he deserves!!!!

Wow you they are only allowing 2 drivers off per day. How big is your barn. We can have 5 off at a time with a few weeks were we are limited to 3 per week
About 50 drivers total, 10-12 l/h. Beginning or end of several months, quarters etc, one city, one l/h. I don't know if we aren't trying or aren't able to hire drivers. I don't know if we will hire in the spring. My barn not real busy, but nobody sits home.

About 50 drivers total, 10-12 l/h. Beginning or end of several months, quarters etc, one city, one l/h. I don't know if we aren't trying or aren't able to hire drivers. I don't know if we will hire in the spring. My barn not real busy, but nobody sits home.
It is suppose to be 10 percent of the TOTAL number of drivers. And they are NOT suppose to split that total between city or linehaul. 30 drivers -3 off; 50 drivers -5 off.
Anything other than that is only limited by end of quarter limitations. And possibly some other historically busy days that may be more specific at your barn.

It's amazing how perspectives can change... at OD there's no worry about how many guys can get what week of vacation, we don't even bid on it. You fill out a request and it gets approved or not and I haven't ever been denied a vacation request, prime summer weeks and all. Somehow the freight gets moved and I take off when I want.