ODFL | Pulling the wrong load.

JIM BOB

06/47-08/20
Rest In Peace
Credits
It used to be if you pulled a set and one of the trailers was wrong you got half pay.Both wrong,no pay.How does it work now ?

It used to be if you pulled a set and one of the trailers was wrong you got half pay.Both wrong,no pay.How does it work now ?

Never had that happen so can not be sure. Have had relay drivers bring me wrong trailers and if you do not call at the relay point and let central know you will lose the pay that is designated. Double and triple check your equipment drivers it pays

Wrong trailer

I pulled a wrong trailer out of MRT to HKY a long time ago and they took my pay away from me if though the trailer was going to PITT they still said they trailer went the wrong way. I was always told if you screw up and pull a wrong trailer or trailer no money at all!!

:smilie_132: Kevin

I always take the extra 2 minutes and match the seals. Its easy to get in a hurry and hook 586792 when you needed 587692. Its funny how 2 trailers that are 1 number off can be in the same yard.

I'm big on the double check method checking seals and trailer numbers before leaving a yard and so far it's worked as far as never having pulled a wrong trailer. I have hooked a wrong trailer on the yard but caught it when checking the seals.
I've always heard that you get nothing for a wrong pull since they have to pay someone else to pull it back, whether you get half the set right or not. I have spoken to people that pulled wrong trailers and that's what happened to them.
Of course we envoke the EIRI NASCAR ruling so it is never written on paper and it depends on who you are.

The double check system also works for safety. When I leave the yard I know I have the right trailers, seal numbers, all hooks, latches, brakes and airlines are right. I check all of this directly before I leave. Also I check all Hooks, airlines and latches, seals anytime I lose sight of equipment for more than a few seconds. Like at a truck stop. Watch for frozed up brakes in the winter.

no pay

One trailer might be right the other wrong,doesn't matter anymore.You pull anything wrong....NO PAY AT ALL.I know about it..........sad but true.

One trailer might be right the other wrong,doesn't matter anymore.You pull anything wrong....NO PAY AT ALL.I know about it..........sad but true.

If a terminal has RFID on the gate,2 dispatchers on duty ( Central and terminal ) and the driver has a cell phone number in the computer why can't the load be turned around within a few minutes ? Granted the driver made a mistake but there are safeguards in place to stop this if they're used.

If a terminal has RFID on the gate,2 dispatchers on duty ( Central and terminal ) and the driver has a cell phone number in the computer why can't the load be turned around within a few minutes ? Granted the driver made a mistake but there are safeguards in place to stop this if they're used.

Because that would take effort and thought. It's policy that if a seal number doesn't match when you fill out the hook card the dispatcher is supposed to walk out and physically check the seal and trailer. How many terminals do this? How many give you a hook card? How many care? It's easier to hang it all on the driver.
I will say that at HAR they will walk out no matter the weather and check if a seal number or something doesn't match. This is obviously a result of good terminal management, something very rare at OD.

In there defense I had a situation where central was trying to get ah old of a team to intercept a wrong pull.

I know from personal experience, at least at GBO, that the responsibility is all on the driver.

More than once I have gone out to get my trailers and find that the trailers on the hook card don't match the one's on my bills. The first time this happened I went back to dispatch to clarify and told them they made a mistake. Their response, "we made no mistake, that is why we give you hook cards and bills at the same time. You verify all is correct for hook card, bills, seals, & trailers because it is ALL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY."

Now I start my double check while in dispatch as soon as I get my hook card and bills. If they are not the same I have them correct it before I step foot out the door to hook them up.

At FXFE they used to take 1/2 pay away for a wrong pull, then someone reported this to the labor board, so now you get paid for the trip even if wrong trailers were pulled, then you get 3 days off without pay to think about it. Which way was better? Careful what you wish for.

FM

I know from personal experience, at least at GBO, that the responsibility is all on the driver.

More than once I have gone out to get my trailers and find that the trailers on the hook card don't match the one's on my bills. The first time this happened I went back to dispatch to clarify and told them they made a mistake. Their response, "we made no mistake, that is why we give you hook cards and bills at the same time. You verify all is correct for hook card, bills, seals, & trailers because it is ALL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY."

Now I start my double check while in dispatch as soon as I get my hook card and bills. If they are not the same I have them correct it before I step foot out the door to hook them up.

Ahh consistency, not all terminals give you the hook card and bills before hooking. Some only give you the hook card. I've had the trailers reversed on the hook card so I've had the heavy one on the back. I've had that happen even with the bills as the weight on the mnifest was wrong.