pup safety

vbobcat1980

TB Lurker
Credits
I would like to know how much weight can you load on a pup.I know it suppose to be 20,000 pounds per single axle.Some of these pups are leaving some terminals way overweight.They are putting all the weight in the nose of the trailerand when you raise the leg it starts to tilt.Also when you unhook from the trailer with a heavy load,it starts to tilt.the driver has to stay under the pup until they take weight off it .This is very unsafe,especially if you are at a terminal that is closed and you are the only one there.I saw this happen recently and an accident was avoided.Easyrider or Leadfoot ultra I would appreciate if you would addressed this before a driver or switcher gets hurt.Some of the drivers are Concerned. Thanks

I agree.Pups are new to a lot of our employees including dock workers.It would be wise to give some of these guys a crash course in proper loading of pups.It would not only help in the legal aspect of weight distribution and safety but fuel consumption also.I would venture to guess,a badly loaded set of pups from GBO to NAS would waste a minimum of 10 gallons of fuel per trip.

Agree, also im concerned about the age of the air lines on the dollies...many companies replace them at regular intervals, wilson seems to run em till they break 0.0 Im no vet but it makes sense to me that they loose some flexibility over time and get bridle, then when a tire shreds pieces are flung right at the red line! pop that and ur rear pup locks up! Also I keep seeing tire pressures being uneven on duals, this means one tire is taller than the other and more weight rests on one than the other and more heat created causing premature failure. Atl shop laughed at me when i mentioned that...*head scratch...am i being too anal 'bout it?

you can get by with 26,000 on a pup *IF* it is loaded correctly. the rear has the be pretty light though. since you guys have all tandems, i do not know precisely but i think it's about 39,000-41,000 per set assuming they are regular pups and don't have the logistics bars. our single axles can take 44 on regular and 42,000 on logistic pups. i hope this helps.

you can get by with 26,000 on a pup *IF* it is loaded correctly. the rear has the be pretty light though. since you guys have all tandems, i do not know precisely but i think it's about 39,000-41,000 per set assuming they are regular pups and don't have the logistics bars. our single axles can take 44 on regular and 42,000 on logistic pups. i hope this helps.

You should start seeing a few new single axle Volvos out on the street.They have already been passed out.Also,the new pups are equipped with the logistic bars..

That helps a lot ,thank you Demo :smilie_132:

This is correct, I've had a lead with 27k and the set totalling 42k and was not over axle. Have heard as much as 28k and still bein legal. It's all in how it's loaded.

I've been pulling pups for almost 30 yrs. one thing I always carry with me is a long air line with universal gladhands on both ends.If you blow atire or get stuck with a bad air line at a dark terminal ,you can bypass the dolly and get moving again

I've been pulling pups for almost 30 yrs. one thing I always carry with me is a long air line with universal gladhands on both ends.If you blow atire or get stuck with a bad air line at a dark terminal ,you can bypass the dolly and get moving again

very helpful info. there are times i have been at a dark terminal with only one dolly. i would have been screwed if there were any problems with the airlines. it's really not that unsafe. if you think about it, it is just like pulling a van with a single axle.

But you gotta be careful when you use it, its not exactly legal,but it will get you to a shop or the last coulple of miles home.I would'nt want to have to explain it's presence running between trailers to a DOT inspector [no sense of humor]

Kudos to Daylitedean! I wouldn't do it myself, better safe than sorry. Every action has consequences and that risk is too great for me.

C.Y.A. (Cover Your "Attributes") :1036316054: