FedEx Freight | Purchase Transportation

Sorry, must've overlooked your post (#110). Here goes...

Actually, according to the numbers you posted in your link... http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/listen-to-the-anti-union-guys-please.62690/page-5 ...that 1% growth occurred over 4 years...from 2010 to 2014, not 2 years. I'd say 4 years shows a trend of PT starting to level off, wouldn't you agree?

If we go with your "guesstimated" number of 33.54% of the total budget for line haul expenses and 17% for transportation, I could see where PT would seem to be 50% of the total budget compared line haul...but let's also look at the profits these numbers have generated as pointed out by AFlifer.

We could also look at the other side of the coin...it was said back in the early 2000's that it cost (a loss) the company on average $800 per set to run empties down the highway. With that being said, we'd have to assume that if PT was reduced, a large portion of that 17% would result in more empty sets rolling down the road. Now if we factor in the rising cost of fuel, maintenance, wages, bennies, etc...say 12 years later, that cost (loss) would be substantially higher. By looking at this side of the coin, wouldn't it be safe to say that if the PT percentage of the total budget were lower and the line haul cost percentage was higher, the overall profit would also be lower due to the fact of the company losing money by running empties?

Again, I don't like PT's anymore than the next guy, but they are a necessary evil....and if managed properly, they can also be a benefit to the company and all of the employees...IMO.
Yea, Yea, Yea. As long as our drivers get out before them it can be a necessary evil. It's wrong no matter what you say. You can kiss Fred Smiths ass all you want but you don't matter any more then that junior driver you think should sit at home. You can can cite all the numbers you want and preach to the choir but if the company decides to put a PT in place of your run they wll. And you know you will be crying the blues!

Yea, Yea, Yea. As long as our drivers get out before them it can be a necessary evil. It's wrong no matter what you say. You can kiss Fred Smiths ass all you want but you don't matter any more then that junior driver you think should sit at home. You can can cite all the numbers you want and preach to the choir but if the company decides to put a PT in place of your run they wll. And you know you will be crying the blues!
First, I don't "think" anybody should sit at home
Second, I have been cancelled for PT, many times
Third, they have cut times just like us, we're a scheduled carrier and they're also part of that schedule
Fourth, I've never kissed Fred's ass, I just understand the concept of smart business decisions

Sorry, must've overlooked your post (#110). Here goes...

Actually, according to the numbers you posted in your link... http://www.truckingboards.com/bb/threads/listen-to-the-anti-union-guys-please.62690/page-5 ...that 1% growth occurred over 4 years...from 2010 to 2014, not 2 years. I'd say 4 years shows a trend of PT starting to level off, wouldn't you agree?

If we go with your "guesstimated" number of 33.54% of the total budget for line haul expenses and 17% for transportation, I could see where PT would seem to be 50% of the total budget compared line haul...but let's also look at the profits these numbers have generated as pointed out by AFlifer.

We could also look at the other side of the coin...it was said back in the early 2000's that it cost (a loss) the company on average $800 per set to run empties down the highway. With that being said, we'd have to assume that if PT was reduced, a large portion of that 17% would result in more empty sets rolling down the road. Now if we factor in the rising cost of fuel, maintenance, wages, bennies, etc...say 12 years later, that cost (loss) would be substantially higher. By looking at this side of the coin, wouldn't it be safe to say that if the PT percentage of the total budget were lower and the line haul cost percentage was higher, the overall profit would also be lower due to the fact of the company losing money by running empties?

Again, I don't like PT's anymore than the next guy, but they are a necessary evil....and if managed properly, they can also be a benefit to the company and all of the employees...IMO.
Good catch Red, BUT... (you knew it was coming). My 2 year number is correct. 2012-2014= 1%. You are also correct going back to 2010. Notice that you are including the only year that P/T actually did drop as a percentage (again, good catch). One more BUT. But that decline of .1% followed the year of a 3.9% increase. Again, a 3.9% increase! Followed by a .1% decrease.

One last thing to consider, why does the analogy always compare pulling "sets" of empties. Isn't it true that often, there is only one empty being pulled? I wonder, at what point it it more cost effective to pay P/T rather than company drivers? 1 tlr empty? 1 full/1 partial? Or is it only beneficial when the load factor is high on the Company trucks? Load factor is another area that FedEx has achieved massive gains over the AF days.

Just numbers, and you are absolutely right on the fact that the benefit is clearly there for the use of P/T. And FedEx has nearly perfected the reliable use of that. Again, we can only hope that those benefits are shared...

I'm tired of hearing "PT is necessary because of unbalanced lanes". The use of PT creates unbalanced lanes. With all of the PT being used and running in every direction no one can tell me that lanes are unbalanced. I've been at this company to long and I know exactly how it works. They can send a PT two hundred miles passed my terminal to another terminal and say they are not running freight in both directions. The bottom line is we have drivers sitting at home and they should be working not PT. We as drivers make sacrifices by sitting at home while PT is running. It's time for the the company to make a few sacrifices and take care of their drivers. It's total bull crap because it's not right. After listening to top management beg and plead with drivers to vote no when the Union campaign was on going because they were sorry, they made mistakes, and we'll make it right give us a chance. It makes think it was all a damn lie and this how we thank you.
It's called brow beating all legal. It won't change until you organize.

It's called brow beating all legal. It won't change until you organize.
What proof do you have that organizing will change anything? YRCF uses PT and so does ABF. They are reportedly contractually bound to limit it to no more than 7%, but I've witnessed people bitching about whether or not the company is being honest about the percentage because they won't release the figure the way FedEx does. I witnessed a case of a YRCF team that sat for 3 days while PT ran, and ABF drivers are complaining left and right about the Werner trucks pulling their trailers.

Organizing will not change anything. FedEx will never stop using PT, and anyone under the impression that a contract will change that is a fool. A contract can limit them, but it will NOT stop the use of PT. It's called a contract negotiation, not a contract imposition. The Teamsters can not tell FedEx how to run their business.

Organizing will help as the company is bound by law to hand over the numbers upon request. However it is up to the shop Stewards and the employees to stay on top of these things. YRC, is being audited by the IBT on every decision they make, because of the MOU they are currently under.

I will say this, anyone who thinks that organizing wont help is seriously misinformed. Organizing does one thing, it makes the company follow the rules. The company is now bound by work rules (A contract) that everyone has to follow including the employees. I was a teamster for 20 years and when I came to FXF I couldn't believe how paranoid people here are for their jobs.

Organizing will help as the company is bound by law to hand over the numbers upon request. However it is up to the shop Stewards and the employees to stay on top of these things. YRC, is being audited by the IBT on every decision they make, because of the MOU they are currently under.

I will say this, anyone who thinks that organizing wont help is seriously misinformed. Organizing does one thing, it makes the company follow the rules. The company is now bound by work rules (A contract) that everyone has to follow including the employees. I was a teamster for 20 years and when I came to FXF I couldn't believe how paranoid people here are for their jobs.
Dancing around the irrelevant point you just made in an attempt to derail this thread, I will set it back on track.

Please present proof that organizing will prevent FedEx from using purchase transportation. That is the point of this thread.

Any discussion related to organizing in general and whether or not it would help OVERALL, as you just said, should be directed to the appropriate thread regarding the Union Debate.

This is in no way an attempt to derail this thread, its the truth! They definitely would still use purchase transportation! Where did I ever say they wouldn't? But, the numbers would be about 10% or less. Just like the rest of the organized companies. How is that statement irrelevant? BTW if your a Canadian contractor does this debate even pertain to you? Dont be angry because some of the informed people on this board want a little protection.

This is in no way an attempt to derail this thread, its the truth! They definitely would still use purchase transportation! Where did I ever say they wouldn't? But, the numbers would be about 10% or less. Just like the rest of the organized companies. How is that statement irrelevant? BTW if your a Canadian contractor does this debate even pertain to you? Dont be angry because some of the informed people on this board want a little protection.

We need to be careful here because this might need to be in the union thread. Who says it will be 10% or less?

Purchase transportation affects us too, so this particular debate is something that I can contribute to.

What makes you think I'm angry? You're talking about the union while the rest of us are talking specifically about PT. There's a discussion meant for the big debate itself. A discussion I mostly do not partake in as, to this point, none of the terminals I can travel to are signing cards.

If you want your protection, go and exercise your democratic right. I'm not trying to stop you. I AM setting the record straight, because too many people are under the mistaken belief that the Teamsters can stop FedEx from using PT. You quite literally agreed with me after contesting what I said. I never said organizing wouldn't change anything in general, I was stating specifically to the elimination of purchase transportation. If you want to talk about getting organized, go to the appropriate thread.

One last thing to consider, why does the analogy always compare pulling "sets" of empties. Isn't it true that often, there is only one empty being pulled? I wonder, at what point it it more cost effective to pay P/T rather than company drivers? 1 tlr empty? 1 full/1 partial? Or is it only beneficial when the load factor is high on the Company trucks? Load factor is another area that FedEx has achieved massive gains over the AF days.
My guess would be that a set (two pups) equals one PT. In almost every case, the company will run a load and an empty with a company driver vs a half loaded PT due to the cost involved....and I'm assuming that PT gets the same rate whether they're fully loaded vs half loaded. The only time where I could see a partially loaded PT leaving the yard would be in the case where the center that loaded the PT was out of company drivers....although at our center, I've seen Central make the decision to sit on the freight till the PM due to lack of drivers vs running a partially loaded PT....and in those cases, the freight can still make service on the PM, although the windows for making that service become smaller.

Didn't Watkins use some contractors? Seems to me they would have kept them if they wanted to go that route. That being said I've always thought the line haul guys at Fedex freight were much more likely to get replaced, I figured Fedex would buy a truck load carrier to handle a lot of that work.
I guarantee that's the next move in the making....to buy our own truckload carrier.

With the company policy in hand, the manager, HR, or HRO would have no choice but to honor the policy...it's that simple.
Maybe the driver is to lazy to obtain a copy of the policy, it's not that hard!
You always have an excuse for everything, sometimes I think you just make ::shit:: up! No matter what these guys say you just keep coming to the rescue of the company!! I'm sure these guys aren't just making all this up?? It's almost sicking to read how you protect the wrong doings of the company!

You always have an excuse for everything, sometimes I think you just make :::shit::: up! No matter what these guys say you just keep coming to the rescue of the company!! I'm sure these guys aren't just making all this up?? It's almost sicking to read how you protect the wrong doings of the company!
:off topic:

Maybe you, and others, can start a thread concerning just me since you guys are so infatuated with me and my opinions!

I guarantee that's the next move in the making....to buy our own truckload carrier.
We already have our own truckload. FedEx uses PT for truckload also. We always get slammed with charcoal from May till July, and last year our new manager decided it was to much of a pain to try to pick it up so the had the "FedEx Truckload" pick it up. Our driver spent 6 hours signing and separating bills to be loaded on each trailer. When the trailers were loaded our driver Would put a seal on it, call the managerso he could close it and send the PT driver off with copies of the bill of landings. Our Manager did that two or three times a week for two months.

PT is unfortunately something we have to deal with. Up here, we use PT for a lot of purposes. We have an account with a valuable US customer that we farm to Challenger Motor Freight because it requires sealed trailer service and takes a week for enough freight to fill a 53 footer floor loaded (not to mention we can't seem to figure out how to linehaul our own 53 footers over the border).

We farm out Toronto-Winnipeg because most of the freight is going west, with little coming back. We farm out some of the runs between Calgary and Butte (used to be all of them) but are slowly bringing them in house. We farm out the entire operation in Halifax because it's too expensive, and that's what we did with Vancouver before opening our own terminal. With it closing soon, I imagine it will go back to the way it operated before.

And the union won't save you from PT. YRC and ABF both use PT and they suffer the same consequences. Every time the drivers grieve it, they are told the exact same thing and the union will not fight it because jobs are not LOST. Hate it all you want, PT is here to stay.
Excuse me.I must interject on the ABF YRC use of PTS and grievances.Most if not all of our union members at the above mentioned unionized companies.Are filing grievances and are being awarded grievance pay for the Contractual agreement violated.The last pay out for violating the CONTRACTUAL agreement at YRC Freight.Was to the tune of 200,000.00 dollars.Some CONTRACTED union members who filed.Were awarded up to at least 800.00 per violation.Whereas FedEx freight employees get nothing.Not hating.Because I'm a friend of labor and not a friend of corporate pigs.Go Union or go home.

Purchase transportation affects us too, so this particular debate is something that I can contribute to.

What makes you think I'm angry? You're talking about the union while the rest of us are talking specifically about PT. There's a discussion meant for the big debate itself. A discussion I mostly do not partake in as, to this point, none of the terminals I can travel to are signing cards.

If you want your protection, go and exercise your democratic right. I'm not trying to stop you. I AM setting the record straight, because too many people are under the mistaken belief that the Teamsters can stop FedEx from using PT. You quite literally agreed with me after contesting what I said. I never said organizing wouldn't change anything in general, I was stating specifically to the elimination of purchase transportation. If you want to talk about getting organized, go to the appropriate thread.

Not just democrats believe in protection. I said the Union will stop fedex from using more than 10% purchase transportation and that is the truth. People like you will run around in circles just to try and justify your position. As a contractor I understand why you would not want FedEx unionized! It would stop you from taking advantage of your hired drivers. I have seen first hand the garbage wages you guys pay your drivers:)

Not just democrats believe in protection. I said the Union will stop fedex from using more than 10% purchase transportation and that is the truth. People like you will run around in circles just to try and justify your position. As a contractor I understand why you would not want FedEx unionized! It would stop you from taking advantage of your hired drivers. I have seen first hand the garbage wages you guys pay your drivers:)

This isn't the union thread so I wi tread lightly. I asked you before and you ignored it, who says the union will limit purchase to 10%? Your new here so you missed a lot of the discussion, if people try to suggest what the union won't get for you we get attacked, so your not going to come on here and claim things you have no way of knowing.

johndeere402st: 917123 said:
This isn't the union thread so I wi tread lightly. I asked you before and you ignored it, who says the union will limit purchase to 10%? Your new here so you missed a lot of the discussion, if people try to suggest what the union won't get for you we get attacked, so your not going to come on here and claim things you have no way of knowing.
I feel compelled to reply on that 10% pts.Because in our contract (if you're union).It states clearly that the company can use up to 4% pts.and up to so much percentage wise on the rail.At YRCF that pts % ticked up by 2%.Allowing for a total of 6% pts.Alot more legalise to that pts language.Hopefully you get the meaning.Without a contract.You can let your feet decide Or sit at home waiting for a work call