XPO | Puzzling

I won't hit "like" on that one. But we all go after the same customers so that makes sense.

Did you ever think you would wish for the days of high gas prices?

It's funny (ok not really) but when gas is too high, the economy suffers. When gas is too low, the economy suffers. Everything is so much more volatile too. I remember growing up gas never fluctuated too much farther than $.89 to $.99/gallon, now it can fluctuate $.50 in a day.

If this economy stays slow like this for the rest of the year, everyone will start slashing freight rates to put something in their trailers. It's a dog eat dog world out there, and some companies will haul freight for free if they have to, just to keep their drivers working. Others will have mass layoffs if this doesn't change soon. It's looking and sounding like a tough year up ahead.

Just went back to work today after enjoying a 4 day weekend thanks to them giving me convenience and PTO days for last Friday and Monday of this week. Now the first thing they told us at our am briefing was that more days off will be available this week. Half way through my peddle run they sent out a mass text asking guys if they wanted tomorrow,(Wed.) off. I declined and said that I'd volunteer to take Friday though. Wow! I'm getting to be a part-timer...or is it considered semi- retirement? Things are slow...and things aren't quite moving yet cause of the big snowstorm in the mid-Atlantic states. I'm liking this even though it is eating up my banked PTO's. I guess I'd better use them up anyway cause next year XPO may not do a PTO thing and I'll end up loosing them anyway.

Just went back to work today after enjoying a 4 day weekend thanks to them giving me convenience and PTO days for last Friday and Monday of this week. Now the first thing they told us at our am briefing was that more days off will be available this week. Half way through my peddle run they sent out a mass text asking guys if they wanted tomorrow,(Wed.) off. I declined and said that I'd volunteer to take Friday though. Wow! I'm getting to be a part-timer...or is it considered semi- retirement? Things are slow...and things aren't quite moving yet cause of the big snowstorm in the mid-Atlantic states. I'm liking this even though it is eating up my banked PTO's. I guess I'd better use them up anyway cause next year XPO may not do a PTO thing and I'll end up loosing them anyway.

My buddy today (no not Carter) said two weeks ago they were giving CC DAYS and he thought man I'm to far down list(6 years in) to ever get a CC day. Well today his luck changed and he was asked. He turned down since he was already at work.:bgroovy:

We're getting plenty of work at my SC in the Indy region, what region are you in?

Time off and spending time with the family is fantastic, but when CC days are being given out like candy, that means the freight levels are really bad. I know that this is a slow time of year for everyone, but based on what I'm hearing, everyone expected to stay steady for this early party of the year, especially when you consider combining Conway's freight with XPO's freight.
Most posts on here are slowing changing over from (back at the announcement date) being optimistic, over to more pessimistic since the changeover/rebranding is moving so slow. Maybe I'm mis-reading the thoughts, but that's what it sounds like to me.
:idunno:

Time off and spending time with the family is fantastic, but when CC days are being given out like candy, that means the freight levels are really bad. I know that this is a slow time of year for everyone, but based on what I'm hearing, everyone expected to stay steady for this early party of the year, especially when you consider combining Conway's freight with XPO's freight.
Most posts on here are slowing changing over from (back at the announcement date) being optimistic, over to more pessimistic since the changeover/rebranding is moving so slow. Maybe I'm mis-reading the thoughts, but that's what it sounds like to me.
:idunno:

I think it's the uncertainty of it all, with a soft freight market to boot.

We're getting plenty of work at my SC in the Indy region, what region are you in?

Northeast region SN. We were slow until today. The roads are all cleaned up in the Mid- Atlantic area and all that snow bound freight down there is rushing up our way now. I know that that's the case cause I asked if I could take Friday off expecting them to say , "sure...PTO or CC," Rather I was told "we already got one guy off and we don't want to get caught short handed.", (code for u can fill out a PTO request form but I doubt that you'll get it off). Isn't it amazing the way these guys adjust and change things like the wind just to suit their own agendas? Our FOS even asked for volunteers to work this coming Saturday to saddle up and go chase freight for our sc...amazing ,simple amazing!!! So much for another long weekend.

My buddy today (no not Carter) said two weeks ago they were giving CC DAYS and he thought man I'm to far down list(6 years in) to ever get a CC day. Well today his luck changed and he was asked. He turned down since he was already at work.:bgroovy:

Hey RF48...tell your bud to call dispatch before he heads into work the next time, sure would same him the trip if they approved his request the day before for a PTO or CC day.

Northeast region SN. We were slow until today. The roads are all cleaned up in the Mid- Atlantic area and all that snow bound freight down there is rushing up our way now. I know that that's the case cause I asked if I could take Friday off expecting them to say , "sure...PTO or CC," Rather I was told "we already got one guy off and we don't want to get caught short handed.", (code for u can fill out a PTO request form but I doubt that you'll get it off). Isn't it amazing the way these guys adjust and change things like the wind just to suit their own agendas? Our FOS even asked for volunteers to work this coming Saturday to saddle up and go chase freight for our sc...amazing ,simple amazing!!! So much for another long weekend.
We worked all our line haul drivers Monday and Tuesday, ran a few empties each way. I was surprised, thinking we would be slammed after the storm. Last night we sat two drivers. Maybe it will pick back up tonight, based on your post? I know our city is starving for work, and not due to the storm(Boston region).

Good point, I'll trade a slow economy and low gas prices for a thriving economy and high gas prices any day.
It's a 'can of worms' scotch. Energy is 'ground zero' for the economy. Everything stems off of the cost of energy. Let's face it, the 'Great Recession' is still VERY fresh in everybody's mind. $150/barrel crude oil does very few people any good. Who it DOES benefit is the greedy oil companies who, if you recall, were the few companies that were making RECORD profits during that perilous time. Yeah, it's a little slow right now, following a pattern in an election year. No reason to believe the sky is falling.

We worked all our line haul drivers Monday and Tuesday, ran a few empties each way. I was surprised, thinking we would be slammed after the storm. Last night we sat two drivers. Maybe it will pick back up tonight, based on your post? I know our city is starving for work, and not due to the storm(Boston region).

We got a bit busy Monday and Tuesday, the wave passed and we are back to a crawl.

Jacobs was at a conference. Hitting up the big 3PL's for freight. We also lost a government contract Menlo had. $2 billion dollar deal went to FedEx. Competition will get fierce until things pick up. Not exactly breaking news. We all been there and done that. Sometimes freight is up, other times it's just not.

I got an update on my potential long weekend this morning. At the conclusion of our AM briefing this morning I asked my I/b super, " what's the freight flow look like", to which he said to me , "You know, I might be able to get you the day off tomorrow. I'll text you later and let you know before I leave today." Apparently the freight flow for tomorrow is not all that spectacular cause he shot me a text later telling me that I'm all set for the day off tomorrow. Sooooooooooooo...it looks like another back to back long weekend ahead and I'm lovin' it. Good thing I got enough PTO's to cover these long weekends. My only concern going into 2017 is...will XPO keep the same PTO policy as far as the accrual rate per years of service that we currently? I just hope that it will not be downgraded or eliminated altogether.

Even our dock workers aren't all working. They are changing up the schedule to try to get them their hours, but fos's are accommodating drivers first, which is nice for a change. No linehaul run of me off the outbound, I worked our fac last night and ended up running, but it's real slow. Tis the season!
Yeah, that was an issue, if there are not enough runs, do dock workers have to go home so regular Drivers can work the dock or do the dock workers work dock,,,