SAIA | Quarterly Meetings

bareknucklebrawler

TB Lurker
Credits
Is management talking about how important it is" we stay union free to be competitive" at anyone else's meetings ? It was a hot topic at ours , the activity at other companies really has corporate's attention.

They are doing this because FedEx freight and Conway joined the teamsters at a handful of locations in the United States. So, naturally, Saia is freaking out and hitting the panic button with both fists.

I was thinking the same thing, kind of reminds me of how they acted a couple of years ago when DLS had that thing going.

Well, I have said this before on this forum...it is INFINITELY cheaper to take care of our guys before things go bad, and be proactive, rather than reactive and be "chasing" solutions. My best example is the hiring bonuses that they offer. I have suggested that perhaps the company should offer drivers a bonus to stay, rather than dangle the carrot for perspective drivers. I used the example of safety. If a City guy goes 2 years without a preventable accident, give him/her $1000 bonus. Make it so that safety means something. Also, its incentive for drivers to be safe, and to stay with Saia if they know that such a bonus is coming. When I suggested this, management literally laughed in my face, and told me that I was stupid for even suggesting it. That was the conversation (I recorded it). But instead, they offer THOUSANDS of dollars to drivers who don't work here, hoping to get them to jump ship where they are and come here. This is just a business practice and philosophy that I do not agree with, and I think it's high time that management start thinking of current people, rather than prospects. For me, it's also a respect issue. Remember the motto of "respect and integrity drives our business"? Well, I don't think either of those is true in this way, and a lot of ways. It's too bad that it takes a union scare for them to even pay attention. I am against unions in general, but they had better get it together or the union will find its way in.

Well, I have said this before on this forum...it is INFINITELY cheaper to take care of our guys before things go bad, and be proactive, rather than reactive and be "chasing" solutions. My best example is the hiring bonuses that they offer. I have suggested that perhaps the company should offer drivers a bonus to stay, rather than dangle the carrot for perspective drivers. I used the example of safety. If a City guy goes 2 years without a preventable accident, give him/her $1000 bonus. Make it so that safety means something. Also, its incentive for drivers to be safe, and to stay with Saia if they know that such a bonus is coming. When I suggested this, management literally laughed in my face, and told me that I was stupid for even suggesting it. That was the conversation (I recorded it). But instead, they offer THOUSANDS of dollars to drivers who don't work here, hoping to get them to jump ship where they are and come here. This is just a business practice and philosophy that I do not agree with, and I think it's high time that management start thinking of current people, rather than prospects. For me, it's also a respect issue. Remember the motto of "respect and integrity drives our business"? Well, I don't think either of those is true in this way, and a lot of ways. It's too bad that it takes a union scare for them to even pay attention. I am against unions in general, but they had better get it together or the union will find its way in.

Well said. I to feel that they need to be more proactive with current employee's. A safety bonus would be nice.

Every other freight company gives bonuses. Hell there's 1 that has profit sharing. I'm surprised we don't get safety bonuses. Instead they say better be safe or you can look for another job

Better with than without, try negotiating on your own and see where it gets you today, good luck

Perhaps it would take a union to gain a couple of terminals to get the company to open its eyes a little bit. They can't possibly continue down this path of naivety...

Perhaps it would take a union to gain a couple of terminals to get the company to open its eyes a little bit. They can't possibly continue down this path of naivety...
Saia treats us more than fair ... We don't need a union ... And the first terminal that tries that will see a side of Saia they wish they haven't .... You would only lose with a union ... A union will never be part of the Saia legacy.

Don't get me wrong, I am against unions in general. My point is that the best way to keep a union out is to take care of business in house. Meaning that maybe management should try to take a fresh approach to running the company. My opinion is that drivers and dockworkers are the heart and soul of the company. They are the face of the company. I dare say that the public sees drivers on the road and at customers far more than they see a salesperson or TM. So, because these are the "front line" people, it certainly would not hurt to show a little more respect, listen to their concerns, and show a genuine interest in them as people and employees. This is a service industry, and it all boils down to people. None of this other crap like projections, numbers, etc...means diddly squat unless you have people who care about loading freight, transporting freight, and delivering freight. You can't teach people how to care, but you can make them feel like they matter. Unfortunately, Saia has lost its way, and it is becoming more and more of an issue daily. So now they are backpeddling as fast as they can to try to avoid the union scare. Be proactive and make the environment conducive to people wanting to work here and make it a great place to be. OD understands this, and practices it. Their reward for this is lower turnover, and more importantly, the unions don't even sniff at them because they know its a waste of time.

Saia treats us more than fair ... We don't need a union ... And the first terminal that tries that will see a side of Saia they wish they haven't .... You would only lose with a union ... A union will never be part of the Saia legacy.

From a man who's been here 4 months, put a few more years under your belt and see how you feel.

Jack Knife hit the nail on the head. Wait for the honeymoon to wear off...there may be a different tune in the air

Don't get me wrong, I am against unions in general. My point is that the best way to keep a union out is to take care of business in house. Meaning that maybe management should try to take a fresh approach to running the company. My opinion is that drivers and dockworkers are the heart and soul of the company. They are the face of the company. I dare say that the public sees drivers on the road and at customers far more than they see a salesperson or TM. So, because these are the "front line" people, it certainly would not hurt to show a little more respect, listen to their concerns, and show a genuine interest in them as people and employees. This is a service industry, and it all boils down to people. None of this other crap like projections, numbers, etc...means diddly squat unless you have people who care about loading freight, transporting freight, and delivering freight. You can't teach people how to care, but you can make them feel like they matter. Unfortunately, Saia has lost its way, and it is becoming more and more of an issue daily. So now they are backpeddling as fast as they can to try to avoid the union scare. Be proactive and make the environment conducive to people wanting to work here and make it a great place to be. OD understands this, and practices it. Their reward for this is lower turnover, and more importantly, the unions don't even sniff at them because they know its a waste of time.
Things will get better.

From a man who's been here 4 months, put a few more years under your belt and see how you feel.
I've seen the ugly side of this company ... Nothing is perfect ... Do you expect perfection? This company is moving in the right direction ... You know nothing about my knowledge of this company.... Just because I haven't work here that long means absolutely nothing ... I keep my mouth shut about the people I know here ... People that have first hand knowledge of the inner workings of this company ... Things you can only get when you have been in this business for 40+ years .... The contacts I have made in all those years I keep private .... As do they .... I've got nothing to prove to you guys .... I suggest you just do your job and don't concern yourself with me.

I want the best for Saia. With that said, I try to strive for excellence in everything I do. I don't think its worth the time to put in the effort unless its 100% I take a lot of pride in my job here with Saia, and it just knaws at me that I look to some folks with the "Manager" title and consistently see them just going through the motions. I'm sorry, but I hold them accountable just as much as they hold me accountable. They are in their respective positions for whatever reason, and all to often its like they forgot what got them there in the first place. They have lost their vision, their drive. I haven't. And when you make suggestions, ask questions, whatever...for them to show no respect but disrespect, that bothers me. I think it's wrong. I think it's something that needs to be addressed. I wake up everyday with the goal in mind to do it better today than I did yesterday. I have the outlook that things will get better, and I feel they will. But, on the other hand, I really wish they would improve in some areas that I can see as "key."

I've seen the ugly side of this company ... Nothing is perfect ... Do you expect perfection? This company is moving in the right direction ... You know nothing about my knowledge of this company.... Just because I haven't work here that long means absolutely nothing ... I keep my mouth shut about the people I know here ... People that have first hand knowledge of the inner workings of this company ... Things you can only get when you have been in this business for 40+ years .... The contacts I have made in all those years I keep private .... As do they .... I've got nothing to prove to you guys .... I suggest you just do your job and don't concern yourself with me.

damn why are you still a p&d driver, with all your knowledge you should be a regional manger or at least Rick O's toilet paper handler.