FedEx Freight | Question about City Drivers & seniority

princess

smh..
Credits
Can someone explain how it works.:wavey:

For example..lets say a driver has 3-4 years in the city, and has 40-50 drivers under him, should the new drivers be given the less desireable deliveries or is there no preference to seniority when it comes to city drivers and the loads they get..

If someone could explain the actual policy that would be great.

Thanx in advance.:smilie_132:

Here it is plain and simple......
You get what you get unless you spend allot of time under the desk.

at our barn drivers at the bottom get the less desireable runs it"s not the way smokestack would like to think it's done

Not by us hate to tell ya.
I get stuff that they won't give new guys
because I can get in and out unlike them.
It is all sort and seg stuff , drop and wheel
appt res dels , not like some of the people with
less and I mean less time than me .
Ya see I don't go out with my supervisors
drinking or have them over to my houes for dinner ect.
Btw I've been there for 11 years slider.

Here in Reno we bid start times and some routes by seniority but not many. They leave themselves a lot of flexibility. All bids with a fixed start time have a 2 hour window. Everyone always starts at the bottom of their window because it is so busy. Other drivers bid unassigned various. Many of these drivers start before the drivers with a bid start time. These start times are posted every night by seniority and as long as a driver with a bid start time starts at the bottom of their window these various drivers can start earlier. This is a decision you have to make at bid time. I like my fixed start time even though junior drivers start before me. Some stem routes are bid but local routes are a different area everyday. The dispatcher does a good job of spreading around the bad and the good. We also bid some 4/10’s. These drivers get the longer stem routes but still work many hours. We have about 60 local drivers but only have about 6 bid routes maybe less. We seem to fall into a pattern where drivers will get the same area regularly but this all depends on routes that are turned into dispatch at your start time.
This is the basics of how things are done here. You throw in dock drivers and new drivers without bids and things get a little missed up. I would be interested to know how it is done where you are.

Welcome Cody.... and some good advice. Seniority gets you a place on the bid. Not run, not equipment, nuttin' else but your choice of start time.

Simple as that.

Nobody

City drivers bid on start times and tractors period ! However the senior drivers that seem to have the routes they want useually keep them. Thats not to say the dont get their share of residential and other less desirable deliveries.

When i was in city,one's @bottem got overflow an volume loads like tires an late shipments constrution you have to ask ya self would it be smart to have like a const. shipment in the mid of a 14 biller an chance missing 3 or 4 del. when you got drivers under you not coming in till late if at all.

I agree with Cody and Smokestack, every center probably does it different, at my barn, the lower drivers usually get the bad freight, but, sometimes the older drivers will get bad loads, some that require early delivery, appt's, etc, I have a lot of seniority, but the sup. will give me some bad loads sometimes because he knows I can get it off and come back, but hey I drive line tractors, every day since day one, and I dont mind, they could assign me a antique smurff, and I could complain about the bad loads, or drive a Volvo, and take the load and go.....thats how I roll, Ive had worse freight and worse tractors in my day. Its all about attitude....Ive seen guys wear them selves out with all that: what about so and so....etc, and it makes them wear themselves out griping....I prefer to make the day the best I can, because next week, I may not even touch a box......if you think you are getting dogged out, just give it a few days, you may have gravy all next week. Now assigned routes are a little bit different, if a guy has bad freight on his route, he has to choke it up....its on his route, unless like someone else said, a bad delivery may cause you to lose time on a route, they sometimes may shift that stop to another route to free up the man on the multiple stop route so he can breeze on through......but hey freight is different every day...just when you think you have it figured out, it will throw you...!

Yep I myself had one of those peddle run, I had 13 towns comunities or cities,and if they were not any one sent to help i had it all,no dock home banks 5th floor colledge const. & i did that for 7 yr 1at yr i did just like you, been on rd for 3yr .so evry one has to go through it, or like what i don't like to here <pay your dues>

Its plain and simple in the city and it makes sense.

In the city, the more &quot;seniority&quot;*** you have the earlier you start but have the most deliveries.

On the road, the more &quot;seniority&quot;*** you have the longer your day is but less manual labor is actually done

*** = sen·ior·i·ty Audio pronunciation of &quot;seniority&quot; ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sn-yôr-t, -yr-)
n.

1. The state of being older than another or others or higher in rank than another or others.
2. Precedence of position, especially precedence over others of the same rank by reason of a longer span of service.

I agree with you grizzly. here down in orlando we bid start times and tractors. Ive been on my coast route 7 yrs .i cant complain about less senior guys getting less or more .like i said with my route you get whatever fills that van up 15,16,17 20 or more deliveries +pickups..take it and be happy ......

There ya go Mitch....
End of story...................
Smokestack does the same brother.....

What about a transfer from road to city? Someone told me you go to the bottom for a year and a day and then regain your seniority, or do you stay at the bottom and move up like a newbie? I know this subject has a bad history here and I dont want to stir it up I'm just looking for a simple answer. Thanks.

I don't know Rev.
Never saw a road driver drop back in the city board by me.
I guess we will wait and see if Familyman can tell us.

Same as road, you go to the bottom and start over, we had a driver transfer to the road, within a week he decided it was not for him and went back to the city........... at the bottom, sux, make sure you know what you want before you make that leap.

FM

When you transfer from service center to service center or from line to local or local to line you go to bottom of board. If you are a long time dock worker and get driver gualified and start driving you go to bottom of that board. You keep seniority for vacation bids.

Ah, the old &quot;One Board &quot; issue. If you jump from city to linehaul or vice-versa, regardless of the date of hire, down to the bottom you go.

As far as seniority with relation to start times and such, in our center we haven't had a bid in over a year. Regardless of the bid results the CCM and staff adjusts runs/equipment/start times to suit whatever grand scheme they have in mind. Seniority only relates to vacations scheduled at the beginning of the year. ( If you decide any time after the intitial scheduling rush you need a week or a day and the bottom man has asked for it already, you are outa luck!)

Early starts get volumes/appointments and short runs, and the early starts tend to get knocked off really close to 8 hours, sometimes less. (Unless one spends time in the aforementioned position under the desk)The theory is that if they can get a few guys out the door (regardless of seniority) in short days, it will even out against the OT generated later on in the day as it becomes needed due to volume.