TForce | Question about unions

pops11359

TB Lurker
Credits
I asked this question in the ABF boards and was told to ask on the UPS boards.

Currently at fedex negotiations are on going at clt and eph, and organizing talk has picked up again at my barn. With all of the negative talk I read on the forums what do I tell people about why we should organize? It seems there are a lot of unhappy people with the teamsters with contracts being violated and nothing bring done about it. I'm not trying to start any arguments, in fact I am in favor of organizing. But was just wondering what do I tell the people that are either on the fence or don't want anything to do with the teamsters?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

1. There should be clear work rules, even though UPS Freight management breaks the rules constantly I have been paid in grievance money due to there failure.

2. There is no will I get a raise this year. Your raises are negotiated well in advance and the only way you don't get that raise is if it is voted on.

3. Benefits are clear. You know what you are going to get for your medical insurance for the life of the contract. You know what your retirement benefits are going to be for the life of the contract. You renegotiate these terms every contract and normally they either stay the same or get better.

4. Job protection. Even the best employee makes a mistake at some point. With the union you have someone fighting to keep that mistake from costing you your career.

5. Seniority. You will be able to bid NORMALLY depending on what your contract says, on the job, or run you will do within your classification, unless you are one line seniority like we have in the northeast.

These are just 5 of the reasons I used when I was helping with the organizing of UPS Freight before the card check agreement was announced.

1. There should be clear work rules, even though UPS Freight management breaks the rules constantly I have been paid in grievance money due to there failure.

2. There is no will I get a raise this year. Your raises are negotiated well in advance and the only way you don't get that raise is if it is voted on.

3. Benefits are clear. You know what you are going to get for your medical insurance for the life of the contract. You know what your retirement benefits are going to be for the life of the contract. You renegotiate these terms every contract and normally they either stay the same or get better.

4. Job protection. Even the best employee makes a mistake at some point. With the union you have someone fighting to keep that mistake from costing you your career.

5. Seniority. You will be able to bid NORMALLY depending on what your contract says, on the job, or run you will do within your classification, unless you are one line seniority like we have in the northeast.

These are just 5 of the reasons I used when I was helping with the organizing of UPS Freight before the card check agreement was announced.
From some of the things I've been reading though it seems the are a lot of instances that the union hasn't back the members when there are legitimate grievances, is this your experiences? And has it happened at your location.

Other questions I have after reading your contract.
1)What is the difference between a road driver and a LHD, it sounds like our use of xtra board drivers, they just make less the road drivers.
2)I didn't see (or maybe just didn't understand) how much UPS contributes to your pension plan.
3)Didn't understand whether you can or if it can limit the amount of freight that is put on rails, especially if there is freight that is determined to go both ways. I understand the use of purchase on 1 way lanes, but rail freight goes both ways. Can it be negotiated how much is actually put on rails?

Other questions I have after reading your contract.
1)What is the difference between a road driver and a LHD, it sounds like our use of xtra board drivers, they just make less the road drivers.
2)I didn't see (or maybe just didn't understand) how much UPS contributes to your pension plan.
3)Didn't understand whether you can or if it can limit the amount of freight that is put on rails, especially if there is freight that is determined to go both ways. I understand the use of purchase on 1 way lanes, but rail freight goes both ways. Can it be negotiated how much is actually put on rails?

1. Unfortunately this is were the company tried to pull a fast one on us. There is no LHD drivers, it was to companies attempt to create a two tier pay system within our ranks. Yes it is still in the contract and could be enforced but so far there isn't any drivers.

2. We get paid $112.00/a month per year we work if we retire at 65, or 55 with 30+ years or 60 with 25+ years of service.

3. This is our biggest fight within the company. There is no clear language in the contract on rail freight. It says they cannot use contractors unless it is 1 way freight and we know this is being abused and lied about daily. You can negotiate anything in the contract, but you also need to have it made clear, no grey areas that is what we have in our road driver part of the contract.

4. Make sure there is a monetary slap on the hand if they don't follow the contract. Right now if they break our contract they get a slap on the wrist and then they go and do it again. The company doesn't have to pay for it. Make sure everything is in black and white, DON'T EVER let there be anything that you hear it makes common sense, we don't need it in writing. YES YOU DO, everything. Make sure that there is 2 breaks clear in the contract, our doesn't have breaks in the contract so those states that don't mandate breaks don't get them. Make sure everything is in writing, the company is going to look at any way to bypass the contract to save them money, DONT LET THEM.

Make sure there is a monetary slap on the hand if they don't follow the contract. Right now if they break our contract they get a slap on the wrist and then they go and do it again. The company doesn't have to pay for it. Make sure everything is in black and white, DON'T EVER let there be anything that you hear it makes common sense, we don't need it in writing. YES YOU DO, everything. Make sure that there is 2 breaks clear in the contract, our doesn't have breaks in the contract so those states that don't mandate breaks don't get them. Make sure everything is in writing, the company is going to look at any way to bypass the contract to save them money, DONT LET THEM.
These are all very good points, you would think that that was the first contract the Teamsters ever wrote the way it was all left out. :shrug:

These are all very good points, you would think that that was the first contract the Teamsters ever wrote the way it was all left out. :shrug:

Thank you, there is so many things I think about that could of been better in our contract, but the one thing I am very happy about is we have the job protection of the Union. It sound stupid because you would think if you just do your job and do it very good they would leave you alone, but that's not the way UPS does things. If you deliver 3 stops an hour in one city then you should be able to do 3 stops an hour in all cities and they constantly are over managing you to the point of making the job no fun anymore.

I've worked non-Union & Union. I prefer Union. Are they perfect no way. Sppollock explained it very well. I'm a rddr & former steward. As far UPS abusing the subcontracting language. It blows but our fearless leaders negotiationied the contract & there is a gigantic loophole. But I also understand UPSF won't stay in business long if we are deadheading 250 mi empty to pick 1 loaded pup like back in the Overnite days. As far as pension new guys get 105 or 110 per month per yrs of service. Employees who averaged over 72k are in Overnites old formula basically 50% of gross salary for 30 yrs minus if u need healthcare & spouse death benefit. There's more to it buts that's the basic of the plan. With 55 yrs old & 30 yrs of service & no retirement penalty. Basically UPS had to change pension formula or they would be in trouble also. I don't like the new pension plan but understand the need to change. The old plan was not set up for the wages of today. Something good is better than nothing.

Oh no you don't say,corruption in the union,whats our world coming to?
One more reason why I have to take a pension fund cut starting next year.

Good luck recruiting new members with union figures caught with their fingers in the cookie jar.
No me I'm not bitter,just a tad disappointed in my union.