FedEx Freight | Question about write ups

Oh yeah, btw.... what should I do to prepare for the OS interview? Lololololol!
I'm guessing I'm too late, to advise on this... If not, you could/should point out your desire to complete the Driver apprentice program, and secure your CDL. Then encourage him to convince you of the benefits of going into leadership. That's just one possible approach. :idunno:

From your other post, it sounds like you are not going to pursue the CDL. Nothing wrong with that, if you've made that decision. You'll go on salary and get lots of hours. Just push through it and keep focused on your ultimate goal, whatever that is. :onthego:

I'm guessing I'm too late, to advise on this... If not, you could/should point out your desire to complete the Driver apprentice program, and secure your CDL. Then encourage him to convince you of the benefits of going into leadership. That's just one possible approach. :idunno:

From your other post, it sounds like you are not going to pursue the CDL. Nothing wrong with that, if you've made that decision. You'll go on salary and get lots of hours. Just push through it and keep focused on your ultimate goal, whatever that is. :onthego:

Ty for the post, SwampRatt. What I really want to do is be an Operations Supervisor first, and then get my cdl by going through the ddc during my off hours, so that if a position for management opens up somewhere, I'll be able to drive a city route, like my Operations Manager does sometimes.

Ty for the post, SwampRatt. What I really want to do is be an Operations Supervisor first, and then get my cdl by going through the ddc during my off hours, so that if a position for management opens up somewhere, I'll be able to drive a city route, like my Operations Manager does sometimes.

At all my years at FedEx I don't ever think I ever seen a red shirt drive a city route before.

I'm not overly familiar with that side of the operation, but when a salaried person runs a route instead of an hourly employee, isn't that padding the terminals numbers?

OM running a city route? Very interesting. To my limited knowledge, once you hit management, you can't down grade, so to speak, to an hourly position.

Why would they give out a spot in the DDC for someone that might drive some time? FXF needs FT drivers, not a manger that wants to get a CDL for fun.

Be aware Cali, once you go into management, there is no path to drive via the DDC program. If you are already a driver, it is possible to "return" to driver status. It's rare, but I've seen it go both ways, a few times.

As far as O/M doing "some driving", that is not really supposed to be done, except in rare and dire emergency situations, IMHO. If that is a frequent occurrence, Houston, we have a problem...

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. I thought it was an actual path with FXF- I mean it seems sensible that our OM has a cdl, and the ability to run a priority route if the situation with a driver is dire. I assumed that the facility manager had the knowledge to assume OM roles, until the OM was able to resolve the situation-usually within the workday. I guess I was wrong...sorry for rustling so many feathers, guys.

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. I thought it was an actual path with FXF- I mean it seems sensible that our OM has a cdl, and the ability to run a priority route if the situation with a driver is dire. I assumed that the facility manager had the knowledge to assume OM roles, until the OM was able to resolve the situation-usually within the workday. I guess I was wrong...sorry for rustling so many feathers, guys.
Your not rustling feathers, it's just better if you get through the DDC before you go into management, that way if it's not what you thought, with a cdl you can always go back to driving. Also not trying to throw ice water on you, but a phone interview is just the first interview, nearly all apps get a phone interview, you won't know anything until you get a in person interview as if they are interested in moving you up. Good luck on your career, sounds like you have a plan so don't get disappointed and hang in there.

Don't think you rustled any feathers but I bet a few eyebrows went up.
Think long and hard about where you want to go in this organization.

I'm not overly familiar with that side of the operation, but when a salaried person runs a route instead of an hourly employee, isn't that padding the terminals numbers?
A good friend of mine was the terminal manager at FedEx freight, and went out to make pickups on many occasions when he was short drivers just to make sure the pickups were not missed. I would think an applicant for management with a CDL is a big plus.

Well, my in-person interview is next week. I asked around, and found out that there are several "qualified" individuals for the Ops Supervisor position. I like FXF-- I just wish they had more opportunities for everyone interested in the LTL industry, because it is a very cost effective choice for those who may not have the full knowledge or resources to commit in today's nationwide commerce needs. Again, thanks to all that posted in this thread, and wish me luck!

Well, my in-person interview is next week. I asked around, and found out that there are several "qualified" individuals for the Ops Supervisor position. I like FXF-- I just wish they had more opportunities for everyone interested in the LTL industry, because it is a very cost effective choice for those who may not have the full knowledge or resources to commit in today's nationwide commerce needs. Again, thanks to all that posted in this thread, and wish me luck!
Quite often seniority has more weight than qualifications. Don't be discouraged if things don't turn out the way you want. Do pursue the driver training, it is an invaluable asset.