SAIA | question-bid run eliminated

scout

TB Lurker
Credits
what is saia's policy if your bid run is eliminated? i have 3 yrs line,9 yrs with company.has anybody been in same situation,if so how did it work out? thanks

what is saia's policy if your bid run is eliminated? i have 3 yrs line,9 yrs with company.has anybody been in same situation,if so how did it work out? thanks

There are a couple of ways the company can go about it. The least confusing way is for everyone to re-bid. The way they did it at our terminal is called a "bump". You can take anyone's run who has less senority than you or you can also choose to run the system. If you choose to bump, the person you bump has the same choice you did of bumping someone or taking a system run. It does that all the way down until Someone chooses the system run, or gets all the way to the bottom and someone is forced into the system.

There are a couple of ways the company can go about it. The least confusing way is for everyone to re-bid. The way they did it at our terminal is called a "bump". You can take anyone's run who has less senority than you or you can also choose to run the system. If you choose to bump, the person you bump has the same choice you did of bumping someone or taking a system run. It does that all the way down until Someone chooses the system run, or gets all the way to the bottom and someone is forced into the system.

And that is exactly how it was handled at my terminal. We now have another sys driver. Who, by the way has senority when it comes to covering vacations.

Since we are on the subject of bid runs, I thought i would chime in with a couple of facts that most drivers don't know.

First, if you bid on a run and decide you do not like it you can volunteer to run the system. You must contact linehaul and let them know of your decision. I've heard this causes a rebid to happen, but I have yet to see it.

Secondly, let's say you don't like your run and another driver does not like their run. The 2 drivers mentioned can switch runs with each other without causing a rebid. You must notify your TM and also linehaul. In theory, everyone on the board can change runs without rebidding if it's agreed on (goodluck with that though). I say that b/c 3 drivers at my terminal swithced their runs around last week.

Since we are on the subject of bid runs, I thought i would chime in with a couple of facts that most drivers don't know.

First, if you bid on a run and decide you do not like it you can volunteer to run the system. You must contact linehaul and let them know of your decision. I've heard this causes a rebid to happen, but I have yet to see it.

Secondly, let's say you don't like your run and another driver does not like their run. The 2 drivers mentioned can switch runs with each other without causing a rebid. You must notify your TM and also linehaul. In theory, everyone on the board can change runs without rebidding if it's agreed on (goodluck with that though). I say that b/c 3 drivers at my terminal swithced their runs around last week.
This happened here in CLT a couple of months ago, driver wanted off run, we rebid from him down. Now, the switching of runs would not go over to well here. Man, what a stink there would be.:BlahBlah:

Linehaul and city are two different departments and cannot cross bid. City drivers can run volunteer runs on weekends, holidays, etc.

If one crosses from one department to the other, then in that department their senority starts over for the purposes of work assignment. All bidding for work assignments applies within the department.

Company senority then applies for benefits only.

i've heard city drivers bid on runs at our larger terminals, but i do not know for sure. at my terminal you run whatever you are put on. you can ask for a specific area, but that does not mean you get to run it for sure.

The city bid on start times also but not the location of the route!! Lets say you come in at 10 am and you love the part of the city you work and a 9 am opens up!! You might have to run a different route at the 9 am start time!! But if you stay at 10 am you keep the same area bid after bid!! You can move up to a earlier time and same route sometimes if the moon and all the stars align just right!!

Sounds like in DLS that when you clock in what ever delivery route is ready is the one you get handed.

Now that is what I call a really fine way to build up both customer and employee relations.

I guess relationships with people don't matter any more. Just make the numbers look right. It seems that management is so isolated(meaning locked in their office) that they don't know what is going on in the real world.

We don't give a care, any you can't share!

hell, awhile ago the regional manager started this deal where our early drivers had to take all of the frieght that was there at the time even if it was out of route. one driver had deliveries all over a large county just to make the trailer full. cross docking they called it. they have since stopped that crap.