TForce | Question for any of the city drivers

webidiot said:
you shouldn't lie to your customers...O was not a good company and never would have been...and upsf that is still open to discussion...
Sorry you feel that way.... Overnite has been a very good company to work for these past 20 plus years and I clock in every morning knowing that I will get a honest days pay for an honest days work.

You have to look long and hard to find another company that pays as well and has as good of benefits that we get today. And I am look forward to the same with UPS Freight. :smilie_132:

wassesname said:
customers ask if we got a raise and if we are union, good questions. some day we will have a good answer instead of something we make up. UPS wants consistancy.
I get those questions as well. I just answer them with honesty. I say yes we recieved our annual raise in January and we are a separate freight division of UPS and remain non-union. :smilie_132:

Silverhawk1 said:
Sorry you feel that way.... Overnite has been a very good company to work for these past 20 plus years and I clock in every morning knowing that I will get a honest days pay for an honest days work.

You have to look long and hard to find another company that pays as well and has as good of benefits that we get today. And I am look forward to the same with UPS Freight. :smilie_132:

ABF, New Penn, Roadway, Yellow all pay better, and it didn't take me too long to figure this out. Ditto on the benefits.

Coincidently, these are also all union jobs.

So Webidiot are you impleying I lied?I just stated the..

simple facts.
That Overnite closed on April 30th,than became UPS Freight on May 1st.

Thats what happened didn't it?

Wherever I go I'm always joking around.
I'm forever smiling and having a good time.

If someone is having a bad day I do,or say what I can to cheer them up.

I will admit some people just don't want cheering up.
With thoses types I say as little as possible,and help them out as much as I can.
So I can get out of there the sooner the better.

I know some people love to see me come to their business, because of my happy go lucky attitude,and willingness to do whatever it takes to unload or load their freight.

But there are those that think I'm a lunatic because I'm happy no matter whats happening in the world.
They say I'm preaching to them.

But I'm just trying to give them tips to live their own lives happier.

Either way some of my customers love to see me,others can't wait to see me leave.

Thats life no matter how hard I try you can never please everyone.

I want to make Heaven my home,webidiot,and my bible states that there won't be any liers there.

So I wouldn't lie to save my life.

I'm sorry if I gave anyone that impression from any of my posts?

Silverhawk1 said:

Silverhawk, If there had been no Teamsters for those 20 plus years do you think thay pay and those benefits would be the same as they are now?

CFer said:
Silverhawk, If there had been no Teamsters for those 20 plus years do you think thay pay and those benefits would be the same as they are now?
You know CFer, I remember a time when "O" paid no OT and was one of the lowest paying outfits. Thank God for IBT!!

hugnlug said:
You know CFer, I remember a time when "O" paid no OT and was one of the lowest paying outfits. Thank God for IBT!!

hugnlug, I also remember the time they offered you overtime after 44 or 45 hours but wanted you to sign a waiver passing on the overtime pay.

The guys in my area that didn't sign the waiver never got more than 44 hours a week.

Sometimes I think we were better off with straight time?

With them paying more for the overtime hours,I don't see many hours anymore.

At my terminal we all have floating start times.
My TM lets the highest senority drivers know the afternoon,or evening before what time to start the next day.

Everyone else on the list is to make a phone call to the terminal that morning.

For those of us that come in for early specials,appointed loads.

At my terminal all of us that do so are up the list.
We also have daily routes when we return from our first assigned loads.

The drivers that call and have to start later ,they get all the night work,and us highier senority drivers go home after our P & D routes.

Before we were being paid overtime,us highier up's saw a lot more hours with less drivers on the clock.

Given our current hourly rate we may be better off working under the old system on straight time?
Or not?Math was never one of my better subjects.
I'm sure I'll have some help coming with this post.
thanks in advance.

well guys..ups itself did not inform their own,,I was at the ups customer service to make a delivery and the gals there didnt even know what we were,,,I had to tell them that THEIR ups bought us ,, she took our term. phone number so they wouldnt have to turn the over wt frt away,,and tell the cust to call us.
now is that sad or what that them selves didnt know, makes me feel welcomed!

begone said:
well guys..ups itself did not inform their own,,I was at the ups customer service to make a delivery and the gals there didn't even know what we were,,,I had to tell them that THEIR ups bought us ,, she took our term. phone number so they wouldn't have to turn the over wt frt away,,and tell the cust to call us.
now is that sad or what that them selves didn't know, makes me feel welcomed!

Now that is a tell hard to believe. But I guess it's possible.

skeeter I thought the same thing standing there when the gal said it,,,If anyone should have know i would think that their staff would know first to push the heavy frt to us

begone said:
skeeter I thought the same thing standing there when the gal said it,,,If anyone should have know i would think that their staff would know first to push the heavy frt to us

I have heard some of the city drivers say some of the customers were still looking for Overnite. I can't believe the sales department can't get the word out better than that. Also I hear the UPS isn't pushing it till they get us in shape to handle what they have in store.

Don't worry UPS WILL get us up and going.:wavey:

Hello ladies and gental men, and I am now back for a bit after a lengthy away time.

If you all follow market trends you will notice that all the big players in THESE marketS, LTL, AIRFREIGHT , TL, Are buying all the small trucking outfits out. One of the resons for this and probably the biggest reason for this is to offer a worldwide portfolio to customers offering the biggest and best portfolio for all thier transpotation needs. By buying all of these small outfits not only does this allow us to gain more marketshare,(without building new) but to have less competition allowing us to set price.

People talk as if though we are going to be the only buyout, I say not but time will tell.

Rite now if UPS turns up the volume on us (Sales) it will kill us therefore ruining the business they purchased. O had double digit growth over the past several years and will continue to do so the way they have been doing it for now.

You all must remember the salesstaff of UPS can sell ltl now. But our business is no more than what we have had in past years.

The reason for this is present just in that statement I had made above.

If you look at the realestate UPSF has in comparison to the competition you would notice as far as realestate is concearned these compeating companies are not only bigger but they can cover a territory bigger and faster than we can. We are currently as fast if not faster than the competition in some areas , but they are very few
and far apart.

To put us in this realm they will have to deliver us from the old evil and deliver us to the new. Doing this not only in benni changes, mgnt. changes policy changes.operational changes, to name a few, But to expand current coverage and double profitable base.

So if it seems as if though we are sitting still for now, then what I have mentioned above is just the beginning. This will get worse before it gets better.

This next buyout, wich I am sure will happen within the next couple of years or sooner, will not only expand our services, create a new customer base, but will offer continuous growth at less the cost of building, staffing and building customer base in a area we are not currently in and will allow to double up on current profit in the areas we are doubled up in. Allowing us to expand and have the means to provide service efficiently.

I'm still running into people that don't know,..

its a real pain,they all say no we don't have anything for UPS when they see my uniform.
Or they say one of your package guys already picked our boxes up.

Late friday at my last pickup,the shipper was turning me out the door,becuase all his UPS was already picked up.
Than said the only thing I have left for pick up is Overnite.

Than I have to inform all of these customers about the change over which they all say they hadn't heard.

I'm woundering where are all the sales people?

How does our company think their going to gain any more buisness if the customers don't know whats going on?

I thought being rebranded with a global company such as UPS would put us in a good place to grow.
But so far its turning out to be one big pain in the neck for all of us pickup,and delivery drivers.