Question for the "Higher Ups"

Sandman88

TB Lurker
Credits
Over the years I have been at Jevic Transportation, I have seen alot of "penny pinching." Now, can someone please explain to me why part time workers get up to four weeks vacation and five personal days, and Jevic will not match our 401k like they have for years?? It seems to me like we could save alot of money if we did not pay thousands of dollars to these guys that truth be known 95% of them all have full time jobs with good benefits. I know for a fact that most carriers do not give these type of benefits to there part time employees. And now we, for some reason, can't take a personal day until the second week of March, why is that? They say we can only use one personal day every ten weeks, if you take away the first ten weeks, we have 42 weeks to fit in five personal days. Which means in the last two weeks of the year everyone will be wanting to take a personal day in fear that they might not get paid for it the way this company seems to be scrounging around for money, that if we don't take them Jevic might make us forfeit the day(s) we don't take. If someone can look at how much money we give away, (i.e. partimers with vacations and personal days) Jevic could save alot of money. Even if they did not want to invest in their employees 401k, they could put toward maintaining the equipment that we have like the trailers, forklifts, dock doors, dock plates, and pot holes on the yards you could loose a truck in. Please, someone help me out in understanding this operation.

I don't think we give any partime worker benefits.. or ever have!!! Jevic prefers to hire full time, but sometimes we just cant find "good" help and have to settle for temp's.
the temps do not get benefits from jevic, however they may make time and a half from the temp agency. I have known people that came here for partime work because of a loss of hours at their regular job,or a layoff, or maybe a personal reason that requires another income, but that's what happends in our life. If it happend to you, you would do the same!I'm sure it did not effect your hour's or mine. Jevic has allways be good place to get a job, you should have been here back in the early 90's, people use to beet the door down to get in here,This was the job to have........... we pay'd our due's

I don't think we give any partime worker benefits.. or ever have!!! Jevic prefers to hire full time, but sometimes we just cant find "good" help and have to settle for temp's.
the temps do not get benefits from jevic, however they may make time and a half from the temp agency. I have known people that came here for partime work because of a loss of hours at their regular job,or a layoff, or maybe a personal reason that requires another income, but that's what happends in our life. If it happend to you, you would do the same!I'm sure it did not effect your hour's or mine. Jevic has allways be good place to get a job, you should have been here back in the early 90's, people use to beet the door down to get in here,This was the job to have........... we pay'd our due's

i know a girl that works pt in the office
and get a vaca,but not sure about bennies

yep skull back in the day!!! beleave it or not
we use enjoy comming to work, the job was great... I remeber there use to be bunches of guys leaving out together in the morning taking to turnpike west and all you herd on the radio was "damn Jevic" and it was a solid line of jevic trucks running down the center lane. everbody took notice, it was impressive!!!

well if they would learn how to take care of the people they have instead of how they can crap all over them!! they would still be beating down the door, but then there would be some folks have to do some work aka "recruiting" but hey what do i know "i just hold a steering wheel".

me at 0645 today

timdescentzo5.jpg

be safe out there today boys!
gotta go now, moms calling me now for some
hot coca.

Guys, I didn't mean benefits as in medical and stuff. I meant benefits as in vacations and personal days. Both are types of benefits.

Look, I have been here going on 13 years, I have paid my dues also. All I am asking is why part time workers get vacations and personal days. If they want to work here to supplement their income I have no problem with that. If you are part time you should get paid if you work, if you take a day off you don't get paid. It's simple really.

What do you care if they get "beneifits" or not? Maybe for some it is their only job. Jevic can't pick and choose whom they are going to give benefits to by whether or not it is their second job or not.

Maybe Jevic should take away your paid lunch. That might be a good way to save money. I am sure that would not be an option for you.

hey ckowal16 i dont think you are getting the point. these people are only part timers, and the do get a paid vacation and personal days. BUT here is the point, why should they get this? most are only here maby 4 hrs a day, while the rest of us are here 60+ hrs a week. and it also states in the company hand book that only FULL TIME employess get this. NOW if you want to give away your bennies to help them out go right ahead nobody is stopping you, hell why dont you give them your paycheek! and this is not the part time guys hired outside of the company, but these are the guys hired by the company. and i do know a few good eggs who work hard ,but they told my that most of the partimers like on the dock do as little as possible and try to hide for 4 or 5 hrs jut to get the pay and the so called BENNIES

Thank you!!!! Finally someone understands what I am trying to say!!! Come on ya'll think about it, Jevic could save alot of money if they do away with P/T vacations and personal days. It's all about trying to keep the Titanic afloat for as long as we can. If your like me, you hate to see all your years and time invested in this company go to waste. Thanks again mothertrucker!

Pick a better analagy Eugene,The titanic sunk
on it's maiden voyage anyway.. I think were a little past our maiden voyage. Yes we can stand to tighten up a little, however I think the company is trying to keep workers available to fill the positions around the summertime. I know at J1 durring the summer months we have around 20-25 local drivers per week on vacation, and we end up with temp's and anybody they can find off the street, maybe if we made it a little more enticing we could keep decent part timers
both dock and behind the wheel, you can save all you want, how do you move the freight without people.....................

Part Timers

hey ckowal16 i dont think you are getting the point. these people are only part timers, and the do get a paid vacation and personal days. BUT here is the point, why should they get this? most are only here maby 4 hrs a day, while the rest of us are here 60+ hrs a week. and it also states in the company hand book that only FULL TIME employess get this.

As far as I know, they only get pro rated vacation pay for how many hours they work per week. If they work 1 day per week. they get 8 hours vacation pay.

Exactly. They are pro-rated. They take the average hours per week and that is their vacation pay.

Maybe Jevic should get rid of all the part-time employees.

There must be some sort of perk to keep the part-time guys if you think they are needed.