Yellow | Question for the Overland Park boys about City equipment

LEHIGH vALLEY

TB Veteran
Credits
We have a lot of 40,45,& 48 ft city trailers deadlined for different reasons. Now I hear a rumor that when the smaller city trailers are gone, There gone and will not be replaced with the execption of getting new 40 foot, 102 wide liftgates.
Uh, Dose anyone in charge understand that in Pennsylvania any 102 wide trailer over 28 1/2 feet is restricted to the national network and approved roads according to the PennDot website? What the hell good is it to have a 40 foot trailer if I can't take it legally on the back roads?
Maybe someone in safety or operations could check this out? I'm not taking a $400+ hit because somebody think they know what the hell they are doing.
Come on Overland Park, Do you frekin job for once!!!!!
Here's a hint. 96 inch wide trailers can go anywhere in Pennsylvania.

We have a lot of 40,45,& 48 ft city trailers deadlined for different reasons. Now I hear a rumor that when the smaller city trailers are gone, There gone and will not be replaced with the execption of getting new 40 foot, 102 wide liftgates.
Uh, Dose anyone in charge understand that in Pennsylvania any 102 wide trailer over 28 1/2 feet is restricted to the national network and approved roads according to the PennDot website? What the hell good is it to have a 40 foot trailer if I can't take it legally on the back roads?
Maybe someone in safety or operations could check this out? I'm not taking a $400+ hit because somebody think they know what the hell they are doing.
Think ill take a does of aspirin after reading this because thE OP boys dose not understand

Sorry, but I haven't seen a 96" trailer on the road since before 95, unless it was hauled by a non US carrier.

Who even makes them?

Who the heck would buy one for anything other than scrap?

We have two, one is the Mechanic's shed, the other is the file document and janitorial shed.

Can they only be pulled by a pair of oxen or Clydesdales?

I would say you answered your own question where you said,you heard a rumor...Relax.

I would say you answered your own question where you said,you heard a rumor...Relax.
Rumor was pretty high and did not come out of our terminal. As for 96 wide's not being made anymore I agree 100%. What you have to understand is when PennDot gets a bug up their ass then so do the Cops, State, Local and otherwise.
Look I'm just trying to get someone to look into this a little. If we have to go out in pups that's ok. No problem! Just don't give me a 102 wide and think for one moment that lawn mower or skid of wood flooring is gonna get delivered.
The Law, However dumb we might think it is, Is the Law.

DejeAEc.jpg

:rulz:

California will be updating the local fleet statewide due to emission compliance. Provide delivery address and I will work with a CRST team I know, for weekend backhaul .
The team may need to take an LOA to allow enough time to move the equipment to Midwest. Please contact our dispatcher to set it up,@ TheHat.com....

I have no skin in this. But, would be kind enough to quote the State Law number, or chapter & verse? I don't doubt what you said, but I think after all these years the law has changed to meet current state or nation wide operations. von.

Sorry, but I haven't seen a 96" trailer on the road since before 95, unless it was hauled by a non US carrier.

Who even makes them?

Who the heck would buy one for anything other than scrap?

We have two, one is the Mechanic's shed, the other is the file document and janitorial shed.

Can they only be pulled by a pair of oxen or Clydesdales?
My employer has only 96" pups. Custom made for our product, which is 7' long.

Our 53s are 102, tho...

I have no skin in this. But, would be kind enough to quote the State Law number, or chapter & verse? I don't doubt what you said, but I think after all these years the law has changed to meet current state or nation wide operations. von.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Go to the Penndot web site and under forms & publications look for publication 411. it gives an overview of the law and approved truck routes for each County in Pennsylvania.
It's a very large pdf file so give it time to download.
Hope that helps

Last edited:
Pennsylvania is a huge pain for trucks unless you're on the interstates. There's signs everywhere telling you where trailers that are 102" wide and longer than 48' can't go, as well as doubles.

Navigating Pennsylvania with a sleeper and a 53' is hard, man.

The state was always a PITA for trucking. Remember when CF and others had to break down Thruway doubles in that short portion of I90 near Erie PA? You could run long doubles between Boston and Chicago on the Turnpikes except for the short PA section of I90 there.

The state was always a PITA for trucking. Remember when CF and others had to break down Thruway doubles in that short portion of I90 near Erie PA? You could run long doubles between Boston and Chicago on the Turnpikes except for the short PA section of I90 there.
Didn't they have special rigs with weights and hitches for that stretch back before the short doubles were legalized federally? Or how about CF's Pennsylvania Doubles where the lead didn't articulate?

Didn't they have special rigs with weights and hitches for that stretch back before the short doubles were legalized federally? Or how about CF's Pennsylvania Doubles where the lead didn't articulate?

Yes, CF handled the "doubles" problem in two ways.

On the I90 section where PA didn't allow LCV's (Thruway doubles) to cross the PA section they had tractors with huge blocks of concrete where the fifth wheel would be and they would pull the kites across with the converters still under the trailers.
image001_sml.jpg

On I80 where double pups were still prohibited they used special longer wheel base tractors and special lead trailers. These tractors would slide further under those special trailers to essentially convert the combination into a "straight job". That unit then pulled a pup with a converter under it as usual.
ra_cf_frtlnr_slider.jpg

What kept it from swiveling on the 5th wheel? Or did it have 2 side by side 5th wheels?

If I remember correctly, the fifth wheel had an extra long slider arrangement which let it slide from over the rear axle to just behind the cab. I think there was some kind of locking setup like large pins or something on the rear of the tractor frame which slid into holes in the trailer frame or vice versa. Not exactly sure about that though. The trailer landing gear was cranked back and forward by some kind of chain drive setup also. It's been a long time and all of what I just said may have come to me in a dream. :452:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2011/11/Keystone-Squeeze-Play/3705211.html

Last edited: