Yellow | Question for the Overland Park boys about City equipment

What kept it from swiveling on the 5th wheel? Or did it have 2 side by side 5th wheels?
The cab was flat against the front of the trailer. I think the frame locked to the landing gear. The kites were 24' bullnose pups. I heard from a guy who drove one way back in the day that trying to turn corners with those rigs sucked because of the drive axle being in the middle.

The whole combination was designed to look like CF's old straight truck/pup combos. PennDOT never called them on it.

Imagine the cost to trucking companies today, if regulations were not mostly standardized.
The money spent by CF to develop those specialized models, was made possible by regulation. 48 contiguous states with individual length, width and height specs?
Oh, the chaos! :17142:

Imagine the cost to trucking companies today, if regulations were not mostly standardized.
The money spent by CF to develop those specialized models, was made possible by regulation. 48 contiguous states with individual length, width and height specs?
Oh, the chaos! :17142:

Say what you want about CF. but they rebuilt their own equipment in house, and had innovations that made sense, like the counter-balanced dolly, air start, auto oilers and behind the cab coolant reservoirs. They were not the most glamorous trucks on the road but everything on them worked and CF knew how to move freight.

If I remember correctly, the fifth wheel had an extra long slider arrangement which let it slide from over the rear axle to just behind the cab. I think there was some kind of locking setup like large pins or something on the rear of the tractor frame which slid into holes in the trailer frame or vice versa. Not exactly sure about that though. The trailer landing gear was cranked back and forward by some kind of chain drive setup also. It's been a long time and all of what I just said may have come to me in a dream. :452:

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hcc/2011/11/Keystone-Squeeze-Play/3705211.html
Did you have weight distribution problems with setting the 5th wheel all the way forward or back? von.

Did you have weight distribution problems with setting the 5th wheel all the way forward or back? von.

I don't know the answer to that Von, I never operated that equipment. My occasional time at CF was as a P&D casual when things were slow at PIE back in the 1980's.

The cab was flat against the front of the trailer. I think the frame locked to the landing gear. The kites were 24' bullnose pups. I heard from a guy who drove one way back in the day that trying to turn corners with those rigs sucked because of the drive axle being in the middle.

The whole combination was designed to look like CF's old straight truck/pup combos. PennDOT never called them on it.

If I remember correctly the landing gear adjusted forward and back on the trailer chassis. It was done by a crank attached to a chain drive arrangement which slid the gear forward and back.

If I remember correctly the landing gear adjusted forward and back on the trailer chassis. It was done by a crank attached to a chain drive arrangement which slid the gear forward and back.
Seems like a lot of money spent to specialize the equipment to load just 1 more skid that didn't cover the cost. Just wondering. von.

Seems like a lot of money spent to specialize the equipment to load just 1 more skid that didn't cover the cost. Just wondering. von.

I think it was to be able to run pups across the 300+ miles of PA without having to reload that freight into long boxes just for that relatively short stretch. Imagine running pups from the west coast all the way to the Ohio/PA line and having to reload there just to complete the trip.

I think it was to be able to run pups across the 300+ miles of PA without having to reload that freight into long boxes just for that relatively short stretch. Imagine running pups from the west coast all the way to the Ohio/PA line and having to reload there just to complete the trip.
Yep. Lead boxes were PA only because they weren't bullnose, special built for the application, but the kites could be from anywhere.

That was the way I heard it, anyway. It made sense under the rules of the time, even if it seems absurd today.

Remember when you could not run pups on 80 in Iowa? Down Route 66 in Illinois,west on 36 across Missouri, then cut up into I think, Rulo,NE, to get back to 80?

Say what you want about CF. but they rebuilt their own equipment in house, and had innovations that made sense, like the counter-balanced dolly, air start, auto oilers and behind the cab coolant reservoirs. They were not the most glamorous trucks on the road but everything on them worked and CF knew how to move freight.
CF remains a much missed carrier. I remember their trailers being everywhere around the Toronto area right up till the end.

Canadian Freightways rolled the eastern P&D operations in with their domestic Epic Express division afterwards. The only place the white with green and red stripes & CF logo remained was out west. The CF logo remained on Interport Sufferance Terminal in Toronto for a number of years though. But for many in Toronto who were used to the familiar sight, CF disappeared pretty much overnight just like in the US.

Canadian Freightways rolled the eastern P&D operations in with their domestic Epic Express division afterwards. The only place the white with green and red stripes & CF logo remained was out west. The CF logo remained on Interport Sufferance Terminal in Toronto for a number of years though. But for many in Toronto who were used to the familiar sight, CF disappeared pretty much overnight just like in the US.
I saw one in Winnipeg last time I was there, but it was 6 yrs ago...

Pennsylvania is a huge pain for trucks unless you're on the interstates. There's signs everywhere telling you where trailers that are 102" wide and longer than 48' can't go, as well as doubles.

Navigating Pennsylvania with a sleeper and a 53' is hard, man.

Pa. has always been a pain in the butt for trucks, around 1967 Ryder Truck Lines only had 45' which were illegal
in Pa. they acquired Harris Express, within a month Pa. made them legal, we didn't run pups on east coast back then

Pa. has always been a pain in the butt for trucks, around 1967 Ryder Truck Lines only had 45' which were illegal
in Pa. they acquired Harris Express, within a month Pa. made them legal, we didn't run pups on east coast back then
I too, worked for Ryder as well. Weren't certain series 45s legal because the tandems (which were fixed) slid forward further? I remember swinging loads from one trailer to another for that reason

I too, worked for Ryder as well. Weren't certain series 45s legal because the tandems (which were fixed) slid forward further? I remember swinging loads from one trailer to another for that reason
Possible, I know the only trailers we ran from the carolinas, were Harris Ex., or was fined, theirs were 40'

I saw one in Winnipeg last time I was there, but it was 6 yrs ago...
From Winnipeg to Vancouver is where Canadian Freightways operates. And they still have some trailers that run the old logo. You'll even see new trailers with old logo mudflaps.

As far as I know, Canadian Freightways retains the rights to the CF logo. Although their operating logo is their TransForce one, they haven't switched them all. As for Epic Express, they were merged into TransForce's Kingsway Transport and all their old CF-style equipment is gone.