ABF | Question on linehaul

Moneyman01

Proud to be a dad!
Credits
I see that ABF is hiring for linehaul here in MN. What is it like starting out? Are you a system driver and gone all week or do you just go out and back? Thinking about throwing my application in but if I gotta be gone all week I won't because I can't be gone all week long. Also back when I was 18 I was casual on the dock for a couple months. But during those 2 months they only called me twice then I quit and found a different job. Will that affect me?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'm a road driver out west. You are usually 1 night and back the next day. I have been extended 2 to 3 day but that is rare. This is a great co. to work for. I have no regrets coming here. Good luck:bgroovy:

I am wondering why they have 25 + locations looking for line haul now? Seasonal for vacations? Retiring drivers? What gives let us know. Thanks

Probably a combination of retirees and vacations. This is one of the few remaining career jobs in trucking. Once you get through your first year, and hit your stride, they expect you to be here for the next 25 or 30 years. Because of that,....and other conditions peculiar to the trucking industry in general,....truck drivers are at least 10 years older than the rest of the working population,.......and there's a glut of us Baby-Boomers right around retirement age. Once all the chatter and fluff and B.S. about the Affordable Care Act dies down by next year, and guys like me realize you don't have to wait to Medicare age to retire, because Obamacare has made it much more affordable than the COBRA Act bill you used to get prior to age 65,.......there will be the King-Hell Mother of all driver shortages,......and, believe me, the employers know it. That's why you'll see a big hiring push in the trucking industry in the next couple of months. Pick a good one. Pick a career one,...if you're changing jobs now.

I see that ABF is hiring for linehaul here in MN. What is it like starting out? Are you a system driver and gone all week or do you just go out and back? Thinking about throwing my application in but if I gotta be gone all week I won't because I can't be gone all week long. Also back when I was 18 I was casual on the dock for a couple months. But during those 2 months they only called me twice then I quit and found a different job. Will that affect me?

I would say that if you were a casual you didn't really quit, you weren't hired to start with. And the rest would depend on how you did those two days and what you did with your life since then. Make sure your app is clean, dot all your "I's" and cross all your "T's", one error and they figure if you're not smart enough to fill out an app you're not smart enough to work for them. Don't omit any tickets or accidents, they find them too. If you can't remember the details on one tell them what you can remember on your app.

It was also 8 or 9 years ago. I had a accident on Thursday. No cars involved just me not paying attention to my surroundings and my trailer hit a concrete dock. It won't be on my record. Would I still have to list that? Since no cops came?

Was anything damaged? Does your company know about it? I'd recommend putting it in. If you don't and they find it you're toast.

Yeah my trailer was damaged. Also corners of the block on the dock broke

Yeah my trailer was damaged. Also corners of the block on the dock broke

Definitely do not leave it out. Can't tell you if having had it is a problem though. I'd expect that if everything else came up good it shouldn't be a problem as long as you didn't have a string of them.

That's my first accident I've ever had. 8 years of driving semi and my first accident

165 just hired on 2 and they are going to hire on 4 to 5 more asap. Only 1 driver is retiring that I know of at this time. There is more freight and now Werner pulling our loads:ranting2:

Was anything damaged? Does your company know about it? I'd recommend putting it in. If you don't and they find it you're toast.

If it was property damage and reported,yes let them know. If any doubts, put it on paper. Better to explain it later, then to have them find out. Good luck. Not a bad company to work for once you get some seniority.

That's my first accident I've ever had. 8 years of driving semi and my first accident

ABF does an extremely though background check. If you leave it off, you will probably not get hired. If you do get hired and ABF finds out in the first year, you will most likely be fired. ABF is serious about subterfuge (lying). Better safe than sorry.

How hard is it to get hired on at ABF? There looking for both city and linehaul and I'm going to put my application in for both. I would really like to get hired on. But my work history sucks. I've jumped around alot because hours get cut to under 30 a week. I also moved to wi and 2 years later moved back to mn.

165 just hired on 2 and they are going to hire on 4 to 5 more asap. Only 1 driver is retiring that I know of at this time. There is more freight and now Werner pulling our loads:ranting2:
We just hire 3 @ 184 & they want 6 by August.... All 3 sat home today, they won't last long....

310 just hired 1 guy. We just had one retire two weeks ago. We're looking at a second guy. Probably put him on next week. Probationary with seniority in 30 days, or at least , that's what I'm told. Got to keep them busy,.....oilfields hiring like crazy around here,...too much competition for drivers,....let 'em sit home more than two days in a week,....they'll be gone like a shot,......and our local terminal will pick up a reputation for jerking around new hires. Can't have that. Mgmt. understands 1980's hiring practices don't work nowadays. We'll probably have half our seniority board retire in the next three years,....including me......

310 just hired 1 guy. We just had one retire two weeks ago. We're looking at a second guy. Probably put him on next week. Probationary with seniority in 30 days, or at least , that's what I'm told. Got to keep them busy,.....oilfields hiring like crazy around here,...too much competition for drivers,....let 'em sit home more than two days in a week,....they'll be gone like a shot,......and our local terminal will pick up a reputation for jerking around new hires. Can't have that. Mgmt. understands 1980's hiring practices don't work nowadays. We'll probably have half our seniority board retire in the next three years,....including me......
Thats what they did here 30 & were put on, every trucking company in my area is having problems getting drivers I hope they find something for them to do...

One reason why I want to get hired on now at ABF. So I can get seniority when drivers retire. Baby boomers are retiring and I'm 27 so I have plenty of time ahead of me

I got my application in. I applied for both linehaul and city even though I don't really want to do city. Will it hurt my chances if I call the terminal? Who would I ask for?

I got my application in. I applied for both linehaul and city even though I don't really want to do city. Will it hurt my chances if I call the terminal? Who would I ask for?

Call can't hurt, ask him where you stand with your app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk