ABF | Question on sick days

AkitaDog

TB Regular
Credits
I know under article 38 of the nmfa it says we our entitled to five sick days between Jan.1 -Dec.31 If not used you can cash them out.Here's the question... We have a brother who has a seniority date of Jan.2 or 3rd of 2014 so is he entitled to his 5 sick days? Payroll told him he wasn't because he was hired after the 1st and I say their full of crap!

I know under article 38 of the nmfa it says we our entitled to five sick days between Jan.1 -Dec.31 If not used you can cash them out.Here's the question... We have a brother who has a seniority date of Jan.2 or 3rd of 2014 so is he entitled to his 5 sick days? Payroll told him he wasn't because he was hired after the 1st and I say their full of crap!
They are right. If you hired on Dec 31, the next day you would have "earned" your sick days.

It used to be after working a 60 days in a contract year for us before it was changed to calendar year. Therefore I would think he should be eligible for them.

But it is rare that payroll makes mistakes on these types of things.

OK, what does your supplement say? Mine still requires the 60 days worked in the contract year. I would find it hard to believe that a man hired in early Jan would not be eligible for sick days for the year.

OK, what does your supplement say? Mine still requires the 60 days worked in the contract year. I would find it hard to believe that a man hired in early Jan would not be eligible for sick days for the year.
We had a guy hired about the second week of January last year. He just got his sick days Jan 1. TM allowed him to call in sick without discipline but also without pay.

We had a guy hired about the second week of January last year. He just got his sick days Jan 1. TM allowed him to call in sick without discipline but also without pay.
Welcome to the New Teamsters :shrug:

It used to be in ours too when they ran with the contract.They use to pay April first before they changed it to a calendar year.

Read article 38 and see what it says. I could not find it in my supplement.

Read article 38 and see what it says. I could not find it in my supplement.
I guess it's time to call your biness agent but from what yrc-atm reports I wouldn't be too optimistic.

No, we just had this issue with our new hires.....I'm afraid that if you got hired Jan 2nd, you'd have to wait 364 days,....AND work one day into the new year to get five sick days. The 60 day provision no longer applies, since they changed from April 1st, to calendar year Jan. 1. Essentially, this change happened two contracts ago,......however, no one really noticed until ABF started their massive hiring program,.........and we found out that, once again, ........the company screwed new-hires. It's a wonder that anyone even considers coming to work here,........since they cheat you out of sick days,........and you don't get vacation for,......two? years........It's like working back in the 1920's. Of course,....the smart whizz-kids at the top see nothing wrong with all of this,........and Jimmy, Tyson, and Gordon are AWOL.......So,.........About 5 years from now, the desperate cries for ANY one-armed parapalegic with a CDL will resound throughout the land,......but ABF and YRC will have shut their doors long before that because they just couldn't meet their customer's needs,........due to lack of drivers.........

He could have backed his hire date back 30 days form the start of his casual time in some regions which would have afforded him the sick pay. He is entitled to it this year for sure. And as for the company hiring him after the first of the year to avoid paying the first years sick pay. They have always done that even when we got them on April 1.

It was and still is a money thing. YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!

Unfortunately the new hires won't find this out until their decision is made and it is too late. Those of us with whiskers knew nothing about it. I'd bet that many TM's don't know and even less will pass it on to those prospective new hires.

Didnt they take your sick days this last contract? Oh no, just a weeks vacation...about the same thing. They have wanted that for many many years and finally got it this time around. I think canary is right. If I was hired today, I would have to wait until jan2 of next year to use them.

We fought this battle too and you must have a seniority date prior to Jan. 1 in order to be entitled to 5 paid sick days. On the other hand, when I was hired new employees had to wait 3yrs before getting top pay. New hires in this contract receive top pay after only 1yr and the starting pay is now 90% of full pay rather than the 75% of full pay I started at. I know if given the choice, I would have given up the 5 paid sick days for the 15% pay-raise and the additional 2yrs working up to it.

That used to be the job of the stewards and BA's. That was back in the day when we had some sort of BROTHERHOOD! YOUR BROTHER ALWAYS!
We still have the right to attend new employee orientation,...on company time, no less. I wonder how many stewards are using that provision. Here in Local #30, we made up a two-page fact sheet for new-hires that answers basic questions about healthcare, seniority, and PTO. Me, or my ass't. steward always try to grab the new-hire in a private area, and explain the new vacation/sick day qualifications. We had a new-hire who had jammed a splinter in his hand, and didn't report it for fear of losing his job. I didn't know about it until I had gotten back off vacation, and he had gone to the emergency room,.....on his own money,....to get the infected splinter out. Needless to say , I was glad that we had set up a meeting,....we work different shifts,.....and we were able to get a Worker's Compensation claim set up for him,......company wasn't happy, but an injury is an injury,.....and he was reimbursed for his out-of-pocket expenses. If for no other reason, it's very important for a Union steward or official to meet with new-hires at least within a month of them getting hired.

In this business if you don't get injured somehow, some way you must not be doing your job. Wouldn't it be something if they started writing us up for NOT getting injured?