ABF | Question on sick days

Its been past practice, not everything is in your contact. read between the lines like they do.Grieve it ,wait for a decision. Then you did your job as a steward.
Read article 38 90 days is in there. No one gets put on a compensated day such as a holiday January 1 Unless your contract is specific. Grieve the language for a interpretation.

So if I started in June and had 90 days in I should've gotten sick days for '14 or am I not reading the post right?

So if I started in June and had 90 days in I should've gotten sick days for '14 or am I not reading the post right?
That is the way it used to be but some guys are saying that grievances have been lost on the matter. I am shocked to hear that one could have a seniority date in January or even June and not get any sick days.

Just so that I understand then... my seniority date will be 1/19/15 provided I get thru probation... Since I will have seniority after January 1st, then I will not have any sick days for this calender year 2015, right?

I already know about vacation and starting at 90% and hitting top rate after 1 year...

Just so that I understand then... my seniority date will be 1/19/15 provided I get thru probation... Since I will have seniority after January 1st, then I will not have any sick days for this calender year 2015, right?

I already know about vacation and starting at 90% and hitting top rate after 1 year...
That is what we are hearing. Welcome to ABF and our spiffy union contract.

Gotta suck it up and roll with it. I was aware of most of the new hire things to know except the sick days. Accepted the job knowing these things so just gotta make do.

Please do keep us informed.
We finally got some clearafacation on this issue. Right from the New England freight committee chairman. He said you must be on the seniority list Jan 1 of any given year to accrue sick days.That 90 day rule is no more.Your unused sick days get paid out Jan.1 and your eligible for your new ones on the 2nd.The Greviance has no merit. It sucks but it is what it is!

We finally got some clearafacation on this issue. Right from the New England freight committee chairman. He said you must be on the seniority list Jan 1 of any given year to accrue sick days.That 90 day rule is no more.Your unused sick days get paid out Jan.1 and your eligible for your new ones on the 2nd.The Greviance has no merit. It sucks but it is what it is!
You are right about that and thanks for the update.

Now wait and find out how badly they've screwed up vacations for new-hires. According to the Labor man, there is no more pro-ration of vacation time,.............EVEN THOUGH the language is still there and not lined out. I had thought that the pro-ration would move to the second year, at least,.........and give new-hires SOME vacation,........but what we're being told is that ABF is in negotiation,........with whom I'm not sure,........to establish a "60%" rule, and allow new-hires vacation after,.....19 months. All this is second-hand information. All I know is that come June 1st,....I'll be grieving for vacation for our new-hires under the tattered remnants of what's left of our vacation language,......barring some sort of MOU......I guess it would be a great help if we had current contract books,......like UPS does,....even though they ratified their contract a COUPLE OF MONTHS after we ratified ours...........Something else we should be getting ready to grieve.........

Now wait and find out how badly they've screwed up vacations for new-hires. According to the Labor man, there is no more pro-ration of vacation time,.............EVEN THOUGH the language is still there and not lined out. I had thought that the pro-ration would move to the second year, at least,.........and give new-hires SOME vacation,........but what we're being told is that ABF is in negotiation,........with whom I'm not sure,........to establish a "60%" rule, and allow new-hires vacation after,.....19 months. All this is second-hand information. All I know is that come June 1st,....I'll be grieving for vacation for our new-hires under the tattered remnants of what's left of our vacation language,......barring some sort of MOU......I guess it would be a great help if we had current contract books,......like UPS does,....even though they ratified their contract a COUPLE OF MONTHS after we ratified ours...........Something else we should be getting ready to grieve.........
And this is why I wont apply there.

I'm not following the pro-rating of vacation time. Vacation runs by seniority year and once they have two years they qualify for a week. Or don't they?
And I don't blame you.

Canary, I will have to check into this with regard to the southern conference. I was asked about the “60%” rule by one of the 2013 hires. I explained that under the “60%” rule he could take his one week vacation before his actual two year anniversary date. I hate to think I may have given the man bad advice on something as important as his vacation. Thanks for posting this so I have a chance to possibly keep from getting egg on my face.

Canary, I will have to check into this with regard to the southern conference. I was asked about the “60%” rule by one of the 2013 hires. I explained that under the “60%” rule he could take his one week vacation before his actual two year anniversary date. I hate to think I may have given the man bad advice on something as important as his vacation. Thanks for posting this so I have a chance to possibly keep from getting egg on my face.
You're welcome, Brother. I already have the proverbial egg on my face. I told one of our new-hires,...who started May 5, 2014,....that, for vacation purposes only,.....as per the contract,....his "first year" was the period between May 5 and May 31,...since he didn't even achieve 60 days, there is no pro-ration of his "first year",....and subsequently no vacation time was earned for the period. Now,....as I saw it, since they have moved the vacation schedule back one week, the pro-ration period would move to the second year,....which would've been the period between June 1st, 2014, to May 31st, 2015. Our new-hire has worked pretty much every day,.....so, as I saw it,......even under pro-ration,....by May 31st, 2015, he would've earned pretty much 5 days, or darn close, since he hasn't missed a day, and it doesn't look like he will. Lo and Behold,.........ABF says that the pro-ration language is "no longer valid",.......and that our new-hire wouldn't receive a week's vacation until,............June 1st,....2016! The last meeting we had with ABF's labor man had nothing to do with vacations,....but at the end of the meeting, during the informal chit-chat,....he mentioned that vacations were a problem, and that they were "looking for a solution". Subsequent phone calls by my B.A. determined that there is some sort of negotiations going on ,....to...."fix".... the problem. Good Grief! Here comes another MOU.....

It seems that the ONLY people applying here are guys trying to get back in the pension,.....It certainly ain't for the wages or benefits,...our aren't very much higher than the non-Unions,....in spite of the propaganda that says we're the "highest compensated",........Yeah,....Right,.....tell it to the Marines,....And,....since we were yanked out of the NMFA ,.........by the son of the man that created the NMFA,......YRC's vacation policy is MUCH better than ours,.......And,.....after the legislative **** of the ERISA Act of 1974 in December with passage of the "Crimenibus" bill,..........our pensions are now on a tenuous basis. If you would've told me 40 years ago, that after spending my youth, strength, innocence, and precious family life making trucking executives rich,....that they were going to only give me 70% of what they've promised me for a pension,.......I would've certainly done something different,.....something with more social stature,....like male giglio,.....or freelance honey-dipper,.......In about 5 years,......all these LTL companies are going to "hit the wall". There ARE no new people coming into this industry. And,....if LTL executives think that they can operate like the Truckload companies,.....where there is 100% turnover of employees in a year, and at any given time, 80% of the drivers in Truckload are in wage progression,.....they are kidding themselves. Those Truckload guys,......and a lot of gals,...spend 95% of their time behind the steering wheel,..............whereas those of us in LTL spend 95% of our time in the trailer and on the dock, handling freight. In about 5 years, you'll see a plummeting of competency, and a precipitous rise in freight claims, delays, and accidents,...........because RIGHT NOW 75% of us are within 5 years of ,......what's left of our retirement. WE WON'T BE THERE FIVE YEARS FROM NOW!,.........And,.....let the clown show begin.............

Sure would help if we had up-to-date contract books,......like some OTHER carriers I could think of ,......Right, Jimmy, Tyson, Gordon?

have you tried Lakeville Motor or Standard? or do those shops have traps in their contracts as well?
I have a job at Holland. I wouldn't downgrade to Lakeville or Standard. If it weren't for ABF's vacation policy I would go there to restore my pension and take a slight pay raise.

I have a job at Holland. I wouldn't downgrade to Lakeville or Standard. If it weren't for ABF's vacation policy I would go there to restore my pension and take a slight pay raise.

I am aware of your job at Holland, your post looked like you had thought about moving somewhere else. Last I knew, Lakeville paid a significant amount into the pension, and had comparable pay and benefits. I'm not sure about Standard, but I know they also pay into it, and figured I would throw it out there.

whats so bad about Lakeville? I've seen their contract, it looks like a good job on paper, and their equipment looks good.