Estes | Question ?

steercrazee

TB Veteran
Credits
If it's your day off do you have to answer the phone if it's a call from your terminal? I know they were looking for volunteers to work the weekend but i didn't volunteer because i already had plan made and it would have screwed them up. I assume that's what the call was about toes if i wanted to come in and take a load. They left no message on my phone so i assumed it wasn't very important. I silenced my phone for bed and forgot to turn it off when i woke up. I noticed the missed call later on in the day. Its strange they are mandating weekends for some and still looking for volunteers when they are cutting runs during the week.

It all depends on freight volume by day… they cut runs during the week because they don’t have the freight on that day to fill that lane… on the weekend they have to get freight moved for service Monday… I would have called them back and if offered politely declined. If it’s work and it’s my day off I’ll answer the phone but it doesn’t mean I’ll say yes to whatever they’re asking…

It all depends on freight volume by day… they cut runs during the week because they don’t have the freight on that day to fill that lane… on the weekend they have to get freight moved for service Monday… I would have called them back and if offered politely declined. If it’s work and it’s my day off I’ll answer the phone but it doesn’t mean I’ll say yes to whatever they’re asking…
I would have answered had i had my phone on but by the time i seen it in the afternoon it was to late in the day to so i just let it be.

I didn't always answer the phone. :6799:

If it's your scheduled day off and nobody has said anything to you at all the prior week how can they say you are suppose to be on call? If you are suppose to be on call and always be by your phone shouldn't you be getting paid if you have to stop your life at a moments notice to clean up the companies mess of ill planning? Sounds like the Union helped you fix it which is one of the good things the Union was good for not letting companies run all over their workers in situations like that.

Unions have state by state agreements, also region by region. For example , a terminal could be made into a break bulk to force 10%ers to work Saturday and Sunday breaking freight. If you are a bottom guy, that would translate you working three days weekday and weekend. I find the way Estes does it to be better. If no one is giving you points for not answering phone why worry about it? You can't blame them for trying? No harm no foul.

If it's your scheduled day off and nobody has said anything to you at all the prior week how can they say you are suppose to be on call? If you are suppose to be on call and always be by your phone shouldn't you be getting paid if you have to stop your life at a moments notice to clean up the companies mess of ill planning? Sounds like the Union helped you fix it which is one of the good things the Union was good for not letting companies run all over their workers in situations like that.
The extra board has no scheduled off day, you were required to be available 24/7 if you have hours.
The dispatcher told me 2 hours prior he didn't see me getting out anytime soon.
After I was discharged I filed a grievance for the trip, the company agreed to pay me, ( Antlanta turn I think)
It did not go before the committee, the company agreed.
The company said they would no longer tell a driver his position on the board.
I filed on that also and they agreed to keep past practice in place.

If it's your day off do you have to answer the phone if it's a call from your terminal?
No.

I have very high expectations regarding work quality and effort while the folks I am paying are on the clock. However, their time belongs to them.. I have zero expectation for them to monitor their phone calls, texts or emails when I am not paying them to do so.