question

lazylarry

TB Lurker
Credits
Will they merge US Food and Sysco and cause a 'overlap' situation and have too many drivers ? When they open a new 'drop' spot in a town and hire drivers what kind of job guarantee do you get as far as them deciding to 'move' the drop spot to another town in a year. Would you then be able to follow your job ? thanks for the info.

Will they merge US Food and Sysco and cause a 'overlap' situation and have too many drivers ? When they open a new 'drop' spot in a town and hire drivers what kind of job guarantee do you get as far as them deciding to 'move' the drop spot to another town in a year. Would you then be able to follow your job ? thanks for the info.

I have no idea Larry, I am hoping that the FTC shoots this down, I mean really, 55% market share? How is that gonna fly? Here we are union and USF isn't, they won't move us to another town, to much going on here, they really can't. We really won't know what happens until if or when it goes down, I do know that the union has made it clear that we will not be bumped, sysco wants them to dovetail with company seniority, at this location, it ain't gonna happen.

Given the turnover at each company I don't think there's ever going to be a situation where there are too many drivers here. And if that day ever comes you'll find all the supervisors at QT buying powerball tickets on the luckiest day of their lives.

Given the turnover at each company I don't think there's ever going to be a situation where there are too many drivers here. And if that day ever comes you'll find all the supervisors at QT buying powerball tickets on the luckiest day of their lives.

I love QT, I venture a guess that QT is the best C-store on the face of the planet.

I give up on QT as they all have kitchens in them now. Why does every gas station need to have a restaurant attached? Delivering chicken to gas stations bites. Now all them places are even busier, just gimme my coffee dang it.

Try as they might, they'll lose the drivers they don't need long before the houses are merged.

I give up on QT as they all have kitchens in them now. Why does every gas station need to have a restaurant attached? Delivering chicken to gas stations bites. Now all them places are even busier, just gimme my coffee dang it.

Try as they might, they'll lose the drivers they don't need long before the houses are merged.

QT has awesome pizza in them kitchens, I understand the other stuff is good too, Ted, you can still get your coffee, we have a QT kitchen by the house that I go get coffee at all the time, plus we never, ever have to worry about delivering to QT!

Yeah, pizza crust is made of wheat... Dominos makes a nice gluten free pizza.

I'm just saying that I'm tired of places trying to be all things for all people. I understand the competitive nature of the... scratch that I don't understand it, gas is how much now and why? All that money for gas and you have to sell fried chicken and open a pizza shop? I was in a gas station the other day that had a bar in it. Here Pour you a stiff one while you're filling up?

So I want to take a leak and get some more coffee so I can continue to leak, maybe even buy some gasoline, if I'm not working, but I have to compete with all the customers who want a stupid fresh sandwich, and I got to wait longer in line. I only got a half hour for lunch and I need to lay down in the trailer where it's nice and cool and take a nap.

I have no idea Larry, I am hoping that the FTC shoots this down, I mean really, 55% market share? How is that gonna fly? Here we are union and USF isn't, they won't move us to another town, to much going on here, they really can't. We really won't know what happens until if or when it goes down, I do know that the union has made it clear that we will not be bumped, sysco wants them to dovetail with company seniority, at this location, it ain't gonna happen.

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately I have some experience with this 'company buying other companys' thing and they dovetailed Yellow and Roadway and closed a bunch of barns. Guys walking into a new barn and being senior to guys that worked there. We did end up with too many drivers for awhile but now it flipped back and we're short. Sysco is coming to our town with a drop yard and Im really interested. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am an ambitious go getter type but that ramp does look like hard work. (a little different than LTL, but trust me LTL has plenty of downfalls too.)

The first route I had was out of a drop yard. We pull 28' doubles here. A lot of our 28' trailers still have the spring suspension, so the cases get bounced around plenty. The "domicile" routes are usually out in the country, where there are a lot of hills and winding roads, and of course bumps. Pallets fall over quite often and it's a mess to clean up.

The drop yard was 15 miles further than the warehouse, but it was worth it not to have to see the boss every morning.

I was on this route from January until school let out, then they eliminated two of the routes, then they moved the drop yard somewhere else. So the drop yard may or may not be permanent, it may not work out for them. You will have a job permanently with Sysco, but you may end up driving a long way... They may already have drivers living in that area where they want to put the drop yard, if it's union and the bid by seniority, you may not get a route out of that drop yard for a while, but if say, they are senior people each with 4 or 5 weeks vacation and if there is 4 of them running out of the drop yard, you can bid their route while they are on vacation, and maybe you spend half the year running out of the drop yard.

It's getting late, I hope this all made sense. I'm pillow now.

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately I have some experience with this 'company buying other companys' thing and they dovetailed Yellow and Roadway and closed a bunch of barns. Guys walking into a new barn and being senior to guys that worked there. We did end up with too many drivers for awhile but now it flipped back and we're short. Sysco is coming to our town with a drop yard and Im really interested. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am an ambitious go getter type but that ramp does look like hard work. (a little different than LTL, but trust me LTL has plenty of downfalls too.)

LTL and foodservice are two different animals, I hate LTL, I love foodservice, I love the work, the close customer contact, its hard labor and takes alot of strength and endurance, I don't ever want to get out of it, I turn 47 here in a few days and I hope I can do it till I'm 60 and retire. I went to shuttle and that was ok but I am so glad to be back on delivery that I don't know what a bad day is anymore.

PM me with any questions you don't want to air out on here and I will be straight with you Brother!

GT

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Out of KC warehouse shuttles are run to 9 or 10 different yards within 3-4 hours of the main warehouse. To my knowledge they've never moved or closed any, but in the slow season (wintertime for the Lake of the Ozarks) the drivers may have routes cancelled or sometimes have to drive to another yard to cover vacations/call-ins.
Most of the drivers working out of the warehouse gripe to no end and turnover is atrocious, but it's opposite in our shuttle yards. More laid back, less supervision, and big city Sysco money with smaller town cost of living. With one recent exception (one guy got fired for cell phone and all his friends quit too) we have NO turnover in our shuttle yards.
If it weren't for the kids and wanting them to grow up near our families I'd try to work out of one of our yards in SW MO or the Lake.

So I want to take a leak and get some more coffee so I can continue to leak.
And I want that coffee fast which makes me want to scream at people "if you're going to spend 15min putting so much crap in your coffee that it no longer tastes like or resembles the drink it's supposed to be please either go to Starbucks or move to the side so I can get my man coffee and be on my way".

Casey's still has great pizza. Kwik Trip is another good c-store.

If I EVER went back to food service it would be in a drop yard. I don't want to see my boss every day. But I would go to hauling gas before I go back to food service.

When I started at the beer company, I was at a drop yard it was great, if I was still at the drop lot I would probably be going "This beer hauling is great, I don't know what peoples beef with it is?" The guys were all cool, nobody was on your back, it was smooth sailing. Then they moved me to the main warehouse with all the big shots keep changing routes meddling with everything, miss loading trucks screwing around to no end so much so that I got disgusted and applied to work at GFS and Budweiser. Already took a phone interview with GFS!

One of the other beer drivers I talk to told me "When I started I was at the drop lot. It was great no bosses nothing just smooth sailing, lower stop counts and high case counts." Unlike what I was getting 25 stops and 300 cases. Now I get 25 stops and 600 cases and in the next 3 weeks they will probably throw me some place else right as I am starting to get the hang of where I am going.