Yellow | Question.

Interesting points. I'd like to see statistics on age breakdown vs. comp claims just out of curiosity. Funny, I remember long ago it was younger guys who went out on comp every spring with back problems so they could have long summer "vacations".

Incidentally, how do older workers cost the company more for pension fund costs? Aren't pension contributions the same for all employees?

They don’t. I was lazy & lumped everything under 1 single banner. Or I could blame it on all the vicodin I have been sucking down today. Either way it gives me something to work on in my retirement. Von.

Your comment on age & getting rid of the old folks is dead on the money. They see older workers as a long term expense problem. If not for a Union you wouldn't have anybody over 50 working there. In 2014 ABF work comp cost went up 35 % according to a letter they sent out to all the barns. You want to keep the share holders happy. Lower your cost, raise the stock price. How, get rid of older workers who cost them a lot of money & remove the pension fund cost. It will happen just a matter of when. von.
Interesting points. I'd like to see statistics on age breakdown vs. comp claims just out of curiosity. Funny, I remember long ago it was younger guys who went out on comp every spring with back problems so they could have long summer "vacations".

Incidentally, how do older workers cost the company more for pension fund costs? Aren't pension contributions the same for all employees?
I didn't get the same thing out of his post that you did. :confused1:
I do not see where Von makes a correlation between age and comp claims. Nor do I see where he says that pension costs are more with the elderly workers. He mentioned all of them in his post, sure, but he did not say that one caused the other. The only ways that the older workers cost the company money is in vacation costs and their work habits. Most have gotten wiser and work smarter with self preservation being more important that productivity. And ironically the older, slower and wiser workers should have lower comp claims rates, which do result in a net savings. The companies are short sighted in the costs associated with a reckless fast paced worker.

G
I do not see where Von makes a correlation between age and comp claims. Nor do I see where he says that pension costs are more with the elderly workers. He mentioned all of them in his post, sure, but he did not say that one caused the other. The only ways that the older workers cost the company money is in vacation costs and their work habits. Most have gotten wiser and work smarter with self preservation being more important that productivity. And ironically the older, slower and wiser workers should have lower comp claims rates, which do result in a net savings. The companies are short sighted in the costs associated with a reckless fast paced worker.
Good post.
It is just that.
Older.
Wiser.
Self-preservation.
And also help the next generation of union workers there and the ones that will come in.
All the generations before did it. It's up to us to preserve even the little we have now.

And I don't see where I said anything in my post that you claim I did. Show me where I said that Von made "a correlation between age and comp claims". I specifically said "Interesting points. I'd like to see statistics on age breakdown vs. comp claims just out of curiosity." How do you interpret that statement to mean I'm questioning Von in any way?

In addition, where did I claim that Von said that "pension costs are more with the elderly workers"? Here's the statement he made - "Lower your cost, raise the stock price. How, get rid of older workers who cost them a lot of money & remove the pension fund cost. I simply asked for clarification on that by asking "aren't pension contributions the same for all employees."

It appears that it's you who seems to misinterpret a post.

And I don't see where I said anything in my post that you claim I did. Show me where I said that Von made "a correlation between age and comp claims".
Right here. And funny, you left out the part where you said, "funny...", without adding <snip>, that's dishonest.
Funny, I remember long ago it was younger guys who went out on comp every spring with back problems so they could have long summer "vacations".
In addition, where did I claim that Von said that "pension costs are more with the elderly workers"?
I see that implication right here.
And with that you are on your own, I'm not going to waste my time with you any longer.

Right here. And funny, you left out the part where you said, "funny...", without adding <snip>, that's dishonest.

I'm not misquoting/editing anyone's post, I'm repeating a portion of my own comment. See the difference?

I see that implication right here.

"Seeing the implication" is solely on the reader, that's not the same thing as something being specifically and unequivocally stated by the author.

And with that you are on your own, I'm not going to waste my time with you any longer.

As I alluded earlier, if that were only true. :smile new:

I'm not misquoting/editing anyone's post, I'm repeating a portion of my own comment. See the difference?

"Seeing the implication" is solely on the reader, that's not the same thing as something being specifically and unequivocally stated by the author.

As I alluded earlier, if that were only true. :smile new:
Oh well. We... Even I say things I shouldn't. Not saying anyone did. But can't we all just get along. I know we have differing opinions.
But show some love brothers.. And sisters. We can get through all this.
:smilies 19296:

Well let me post something I know to be true give or take 200.00. In the 5th year of the last master freight contract, ABF was paying 35,000.00 a year to the IBT for pension & medical. 20 grand went to the pension & 15 grand to the medical side. This was told to me by Brian Buhle who is the Secretary Treasure Local 135 & who is the lead contract negotiator for Local 135 & the Joint Council 69. This time I decided not to be lazy, hence the in depth research for this post. One would think I have to much time on my hands.

This is a personal post. Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal and belong solely to the post owner and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual.

All content provided on this post is for informational purposes only. The owner of this post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.

And if you can make heads or tales of my disclaimer, your a better person than I am. von.

Last edited:
Well let me post something I know to be true give or take 200.00. In the 5th year of the last master freight contract, ABF was paying 35,000.00 a year to the IBT for pension & medical. 20 grand went to the pension & 15 grand to the medical side. This was told to me by Brian Buhle who is the Secretary Treasure Local 135 & who is the lead contract negotiator for Local 135 & the Joint Council 69. This time I decided not to be lazy, hence the in depth research for this post. One would think I have to much time on my hands.

This is a personal post. Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal and belong solely to the post owner and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual.

All content provided on this post is for informational purposes only. The owner of this post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.

And if you can make heads or tales of my disclaimer, your a better person than I am. von.
Huh? :17142:
I just stated facts. Along with the letter which says it all. I know they can come back and look at social media when it comes down to it. But I try to watch what I say because of that. Nuff said.