Questions about Columbus Ohio

Discussion in 'Dayton' started by ColumbusTrucker, Dec 8, 2015.

1. ColumbusTrucker

ColumbusTrucker New Member

Are there any drivers on here that work out of the Columbus, Ohio terminal?

2. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

I do. What's up?

3. ColumbusTrucker

I want to apply there sometime after the first of the year when I get my HazMat endorsement. I'm just wondering how the drivers there like it. I've heard a lot of positive comments from Dayton drivers.
    What types of schedules do transportation drivers work?
    Thanks in advance.

4. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Make sure you also get the tanker endorsement. This is for a new rule regarding bulk liquid totes of hazmat. Though it's very rare to be in a situation where you need it to comply with that law, they want everybody to be qualified just in case. I believe all LTLs want tanker endorsements nowadays as well. We don't pull doubles, so that one isn't required, but most of us have that endorsement also.

Dayton is a very good company that is privately owned, financially sound, and growing. They treat drivers very well compared to the complaints I hear from drivers at other LTLs.

The thing about Columbus is that it is a small service center compared to the other LTLs in town. There aren't a ton of drivers and there is basically no turnover, so they rarely hire for Transportation off the street. They typically hire for P&D, and if an opening comes up in Transportation, they will offer it to the city guys and give it to the highest seniority driver who is interested. However, most city drivers actually want to stay put, so it is possible that you could get a Transportation gig after just a short time in the city. It happens, but if you aren't interested in P&D at all, I'd look elsewhere. The company is growing, so who knows. Transportation staggers runs from around 8pm - 10pm, and they get back in the morning depending on where all they were sent. About half are scheduled runs and half are open, where you might bounce around all over the place during the course of the night.

Good luck. PM me if you have any other questions or need more specifics.

BROWN22 and Enforcer75 like this.
  5. ColumbusTrucker

I appreciate the info. I have a tanker endorsement, just need the hazmat. I have nothing against doing P & D, I've just heard that Transportation/Linehaul is where the money is. I'd be cool with doing P& D though, if that's what gets me in the door.
    The DF Columbus terminal is only 5 miles from my house, so it'd be sweet to get on there.
    Thanks again for the info. Stay safe.

6. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Yep. Good luck, man.

7. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

My neighbor of 14 years is working in the Indy office for the last 17 years. We talk in general about the business. In a kidding way we ask each other if we know anybody CDL qualified, and if so send them our way. That said, if I was going to apply @ a non-union LTL trucking company, Dayton would be the first and only company I applied to until they turned me down or hired me. I know some of their drivers on the street in Indy from doing pickups & deliveries. They say the same thing. They like where they work. I also think their medical premiums each week are very low for this industry. But they don’t pay OT & their retirement is a typical 401K. I am proud & blessed to work for a trucking company under a contract with the Teamsters. I also suspect that the working attitude and demeanor between management & the rank & file is better than @ our barn. Being under a CBA always changes how managers & the employees inter react. It’s the nature of the beast. Based on what I hear & see in Indianapolis, Dayton Freight is the best non-union trucking company to work for. If you have every bit of information for the company you are applying to, (mailing address, name of supervisor or someone who remembers you, phone #,MVR, DAC Report, current physical, past 10 year history with written reference letters, etc ) it will show them you have your act together. Since most companies want you to apply on line, that format can limit what info they have to decide if to bring you in for the interview. By taking all of the paperwork to the Terminal Manager that might have a positive influence on hiring you. Oh yea, the people who interview you might be old school like me, wear some work boots or work shoes, not tennis shoes. It might make a difference. In approaching a potential new employer, looking like you belong there can go a long way. Von.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    ColumbusTrucker and coondogg like this.
  8. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Thanks, Von. Good to hear a Union man giving DFL respect. One correction, though: Dayton pays overtime to P&D drivers after 40 hours, which was a big consideration for me. And you are right about the management/driver relationship. We don't have an us-versus-them problem. It's a really positive atmosphere. All things considered, it is a really good place to work.

9. ColumbusTrucker

10. vongrimmenstein

Your welcome.

11. vongrimmenstein

I did forget that. I was thinking more along Old Dominion OT policy which is nothing or after 60 hours. I don't know many people that want to work past 60 hours. Do you?

coondogg likes this.
  12. coondogg

coondogg Freight Herder

Not when it's P&D work. I don't mind really long days when it's a job where you're mainly just driving, or where there's a lot of sitting waiting to get loaded. But this is different. So yeah, I want true OT.

icuicp and vongrimmenstein like this.