SAIA | Questions about SAIA

JBC

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey Guys,

I'll be retiring from the Air Force (20 yrs) and plan to attend a PTDI-certified school. I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a few questions.

-Will SAIA consider recent grads?
-I live near Pensacola. Can I request the P'cola terminal?
-I've only seen SAIA day cabs. Are hotels paid for when OTR?
-Is the work consistent? I'm hearing a lot on other boards that freight in down and drivers are sitting.
-Are there opportunities for advancement? i.e. opportunities to move into management after learning the business as a driver.

That's all for now. Maybe your answers will spawn more questions. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to trucking boards JBC. It's good to have ya along for the ride. I'm sure some of the Saia guys will be along soon to answer all your questions.:smilie_132:

Hey Guys,

I'll be retiring from the Air Force (20 yrs) and plan to attend a PTDI-certified school. I'd appreciate it if someone could answer a few questions.

-Is the work consistent? I'm hearing a lot on other boards that freight in down and drivers are sitting.
-Are there opportunities for advancement? i.e. opportunities to move into management after learning the business as a driver.

That's all for now. Maybe your answers will spawn more questions. Thanks in advance.

I beleve SAIA wants at leat a years prior experience. Go to the terminal you are interested in and speak with the Terminal Manager--he or she would most likely be your source for an interview, anyway.

I have been with SAIA for a year and drive the system. I have not been cut the whole time I've been here, let alone layed off like I read about in other LTL forums. I don't know of any other road drivers that have been laid off, either. I get my miles every week.

You will stay in a motel or bunkhouse when you are away from your terminal, unless you are a team driver driving a sleeper unit.

I am a happy SAIA driver, others may have different outlooks.

Based on what I've seen with Management turnover, :chairshot: you may not want to go there. Hope this helped.

Sambo,
Thanks for the info. I will certainly swing by the P'cola terminal and act on your suggestion.

We will hire out of school for a dock to driver training program in SEA. 12 weeks on the dock and hostling. They you work with an experenced driver and graduate up to a full driver. Takes a year. But you are working and you will have your bennifits.

I beleve SAIA wants at leat a years prior experience. Go to the terminal you are interested in and speak with the Terminal Manager--he or she would most likely be your source for an interview, anyway.

I have been with SAIA for a year and drive the system. I have not been cut the whole time I've been here, let alone layed off like I read about in other LTL forums. I don't know of any other road drivers that have been laid off, either. I get my miles every week.

You will stay in a motel or bunkhouse when you are away from your terminal, unless you are a team driver driving a sleeper unit.

I am a happy SAIA driver, others may have different outlooks.

Based on what I've seen with Management turnover, :chairshot: you may not want to go there. Hope this helped.

Bunkhouse????Didn't know Saia used them.Thought they were a thing of the past,or they really need to be.

saia

our line driver will either turn and come back to the same terminal, or they will pay for a hotel, some terminal have a buck house

Hey Guys,

Seniority retention

Company senority applies in regards to vacations and benefits. If you transfer from one terminal to another and stay within the same work unit (city, dock, linehaul, clerk, etc.) you retain work unit senority. If, as in my instance, you transfer from one work unit to another, then the seniority clock/calendar resets. Company seniority still applies to vacation choices, and other things that are affected by the same.

It would be nice to see the company do two things in this regard:

First when transferring from one work unit to another allow a 90 day window to return in case the employee and job don't make a good fit.

Second, once an employee serves a calendar year in the "new" work unit then the employee would regain the lost seniority.

Just wishin'