Questions about Sysco Foods Inc hiring

truckdriverwife41

TB Lurker
Credits
My husband used to work for Sysco in Cleveland years ago. He left to move out of state for a time. Since he moved back home he has been trying to get back in. He just had a forth interview this past week and they again sent him another letter that they hired someone more qualified. My husband has over 26 years truck driving experience and he has been doing nothing but driving a truck for years. He is local not otr and still each time he applies it is the same letter. I am wonder if this is just that they don't or want to rehire. He is a very dedicated worker and doesn't mind hard work, doesn't call off it. The interviewer always tells them he is what they are looking for then he gets this we chose someone more qualified letter.

Any ideas
Chrissy

26 years? How old is he? It may be Sysco's way of age discriminating without actually saying so. I doubt they want to hire an older man, especially if they aren't desperate for help, I can see their thinking, us older guys in this business are more prone to getting hurt, if we get hurt and go out on comp, we cost the company money, we are a liability.

So he has been driving CMV's since age 16? 42 shouldn't be to old to get hired with Sysco, it could have been someone with more foodservice experience, and younger, companies like Sysco love food experience, a guy thats been used to doing this for a while transitions easier, easier than a newbie thats never delivered any groceries.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Yeah he started driving when he worked for the market so that is when he learned how to drive a truck. He has been working in delivering food service only all this time. So he has it. He has the experience that is what stuns us and since he worked at Sysco up until 95 he knows their operations.

They keep calling him back for interviews but no hires. But thank you about the age thing one thing to clear my mind of.

Yeah he started driving when he worked for the market so that is when he learned how to drive a truck. He has been working in delivering food service only all this time. So he has it. He has the experience that is what stuns us and since he worked at Sysco up until 95 he knows their operations.

They keep calling him back for interviews but no hires. But thank you about the age thing one thing to clear my mind of.

Yea, 26 yrs, I pictured him closer to 50, so at 42 age shouldn't be a factor, if he left on good terms, then he should be good, if he had a do not re-hire stamped on him they would have told him at time of interview. Something to think about, 1995 to now, operations have changed, so has product, if he hired on today, it would be like hiring on new. He has food experience, so IDK why they keep passing him over, unless the applicants he is competing with really are better qualified.

Are some of the places he has been working since Sysco brand names? Do they throw food, or bump docks? Seems to me they would and should want to hire him.

Has he tried others in the area? Sysco is not the only foodservice company in Cleveland. 42 is not old for this job at all. The other yard drive at my yard is 43 and had zero foodservice experience when they(the company) hired him. The two Sysco drivers on the otherside of the fence from us are both in their 40's, we all talk.

Try http://www.northernhaserot.com/ Northen Haserot is owned by the company I work for. He would be very happy there ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
He is working for Euro now but only 3 days a week. We have been considering US Foods and Northern Haserot. I think I will put in an app for him.

Yeah I know some companies you don't know what they want. My hubby never calls off work I think in his life time 3 days at the most. He is very dedicated to work in fact a workaholic.

I am going to submit his resume right now. ty

He is working for Euro now but only 3 days a week. We have been considering US Foods and Northern Haserot. I think I will put in an app for him.

Yeah I know some companies you don't know what they want. My hubby never calls off work I think in his life time 3 days at the most. He is very dedicated to work in fact a workaholic.

I am going to submit his resume right now. ty

If he never calls of and a workaholic he will fit right in with us ;) Defiantly send one to Northern Haserot ;)

Not sure if they are looking or not but you never know. I know the sister company in Erie is, they are setting up drops yards all over the place. Taking a play out of Sysco's playbook. Oh wait, the Director of Operations spent 30 years with Sysco, LOL.

I'm not sure if Frito lay has OTR jobs there but they pay well and have great bennies, pension. Not a typical OTR job. They just call it that to make us feel like we are truck drivers.