FedEx Freight | Questions about the CLT area

Canadian Flyer

They Call Me CF, Eh
Credits
I'd ask where this was more relevant to me specifically, but the SEFL board is practically dead, so I'm posting here to get wider coverage.

As of January, I'm a broker at Speedy Transport. Scheduled linehaul to Charlotte for SEFL is my primary job, though I might turn up at the occasional Holland terminal for extra work.

So I'd like a lay of the land, as it were. I've never been to North Carolina before, and I figured my pals here at FedEx would be the best to ask.

And for those interested, pictures of my 2013 Kenworth T660 will be forthcoming once it's lettered and plated. I'm looking forward to running stateside again.

I'd ask where this was more relevant to me specifically, but the SEFL board is practically dead, so I'm posting here to get wider coverage.

As of January, I'm a broker at Speedy Transport. Scheduled linehaul to Charlotte for SEFL is my primary job, though I might turn up at the occasional Holland terminal for extra work.

So I'd like a lay of the land, as it were. I've never been to North Carolina before, and I figured my pals here at FedEx would be the best to ask.

And for those interested, pictures of my 2013 Kenworth T660 will be forthcoming once it's lettered and plated. I'm looking forward to running stateside again.

SEFL has three Charlotte terminals. Two on the north side of town, and one on the south side of town. One is strictly a break bulk.

I-77 is generally a parking lot through the Lake Norman area in both directions. (Mooresville/Huntersville suburbs).

Stay away from the Pilot truckstop off of Statesville ave. It is small and peppered with drug dealers and lot lizards. You'll be mugged or worse.

There really isn't any truck stops in Charlotte. You have to travel north on I-85 to Kannapolis at exit 63, or south on I-77 to Fort Mill and Rock Hill South Carolina to have access to one.

Right now coming south on I-85 through Concord near the speedway is construction, so it backs up fairly often around the 52 mile marker.

What else can we help with?

SEFL has three Charlotte terminals. Two on the north side of town, and one on the south side of town. One is strictly a break bulk.

I-77 is generally a parking lot through the Lake Norman area in both directions. (Mooresville/Huntersville suburbs).

Stay away from the Pilot truckstop off of Statesville ave. It is small and peppered with drug dealers and lot lizards. You'll be mugged or worse.

There really isn't any truck stops in Charlotte. You have to travel north on I-85 to Kannapolis at exit 63, or south on I-77 to Fort Mill and Rock Hill South Carolina to have access to one.

Right now coming south on I-85 through Concord near the speedway is construction, so it backs up fairly often around the 52 mile marker.

What else can we help with?
I believe I'll be coming into CLT proper, though I'm not 100% certain on that as Speedy is very hush hush about the relationship between them and SEFL. No data I can currently lay my hands on will inform me which terminal SEFL uses as the gateway to Canada.

I believe that I'll be coming in on I-77 as I will be crossing the border in Buffalo unless I have southbound freight destined for Holland. Should be around mid-day, and Speedy claims drop and hook.

Truck stops aren't particularly important as I'm running team with my dad. We'll need a Pilot to stop at for fuel somewhere along the way, but that's basically it.

Not a lot I can add, but if your travels take you through western North Carolina/East Tennessee, be very cautious of non-interstate roads.

http://tailofthedragon.com/tail-of-the-dragon-info/trucks-on-the-dragon/

IMG_8120.jpg-nggid03139-ngg0dyn-200x200x100-00f0w010c011r110f110r010t010.jpg

0916_rear.jpg-nggid0274-ngg0dyn-200x200x100-00f0w010c011r110f110r010t010.jpg

77 is a good road. The occasional wind and fog on Fancy Gap in Virginia from mm 8 to the Stateline of NC can be a nuisance.

NC only has one set of scales on 77. They're at mm 100 and yes they're open often.

You'll probably be going to the north side terminal but I'm not positive. I'll see what I can dig up.

77 is a good road. The occasional wind and fog on Fancy Gap in Virginia from mm 8 to the Stateline of NC can be a nuisance.

NC only has one set of scales on 77. They're at mm 100 and yes they're open often.

You'll probably be going to the north side terminal but I'm not positive. I'll see what I can dig up.
Much appreciated!

Let me also add that I-81 through Va. can be hectic at times (too many asses, not enough asphalt) and patience is a must!!

Once you descend off of Fancy Gap, you'll be in NC where the terrain is primarily flat...just a few rolling hills but the speed limit is 70. There is a speed trap through the city of Statesville (mm 45-51) where the speed limit drops to 55 for about 6 miles, other than that it's hammer down until you hit the lake construction.

Also, Dick is correct that I-77 through the Lake Norman/N. CLT area (mm18-36) is very congested due to 18 miles of road construction (adding more asphalt :1036316054:) but coming through at midday is probably your best option...unless 3am is an option!!

As for a Pilot TS...you may be SOL. There is one a couple exits down from SEFL's N. CLT terminal but like Dick said, you're risking your own life pulling in there during daylight hours...and avoid at all cost after dark!! There is a Wilco/Hess just north of CLT on I-77 if that helps but that's the closest truck stop.

Keep us posted when your schedule becomes definite and maybe we'll see you on the road or can holler at you on the radio....I would say run with ya but that wouldn't last long with our slow trucks!!

Good luck!!

Let me also add that I-81 through Va. can be hectic at times (too many asses, not enough asphalt) and patience is a must!!

Once you descend off of Fancy Gap, you'll be in NC where the terrain is primarily flat...just a few rolling hills but the speed limit is 70. There is a speed trap through the city of Statesville (mm 45-51) where the speed limit drops to 55 for about 6 miles, other than that it's hammer down until you hit the lake construction.

Also, Dick is correct that I-77 through the Lake Norman/N. CLT area (mm18-36) is very congested due to 18 miles of road construction (adding more asphalt :1036316054:) but coming through at midday is probably your best option...unless 3am is an option!!

As for a Pilot TS...you may be SOL. There is one a couple exits down from SEFL's N. CLT terminal but like Dick said, you're risking your own life pulling in there during daylight hours...and avoid at all cost after dark!! There is a Wilco/Hess just north of CLT on I-77 if that helps but that's the closest truck stop.

Keep us posted when your schedule becomes definite and maybe we'll see you on the road or can holler at you on the radio....I would say run with ya but that wouldn't last long with our slow trucks!!

Good luck!!

The nearest Pilot would be the Pilot/Flying J in Wytheville VA wouldn't it Red?

Good luck!!
Unfortunately for me, I can't run faster than 65mph anyway! Government of Ontario decrees that all trucks operating in the province regardless of origin must have the limiter set to 65.

But I'll look good doing it! :smilie93c peelout:

Good luck!!
The Wilco Hess is at the 42 mm in the town of Troutman. 30 or so miles north of Charlotte on I77. It has a Subway restaurant as well as a Wendy's. Walking distance to a Mcdonalds, Bojangles, and a Sheetz.

If you do, bring some ammo and shopping bags, would you?

I picked up some target ammo over the weekend at Cabela's in Greenville South Carolina. 50 rounds of Remington 9mm for $10 a box.

The cashier put them in plastic shopping bags when I checked out. I bought 5 boxes.

The Winchester white box of 22 long rifle ran me $19.95 for 333 rounds. I bought the last two boxes.You ready to move now?

:poke:

Almost forgot, I picked up a Ruger LC9s in the same store for $300 out the door. Walked right out with it. No waiting here. :1036316054: