FedEx Freight | Questions about the CLT area

I haven't forgotten your question Canadian Flyer. I was just out too late to ask the right person about the gateway center.
It's alright. We're all busy folks out here at the end of the day.

We'll be one of 5 trucks running the lane, it's still fairly new to Speedy. Lots of northbound freight from SEFL but not as much going the other way. So southbound freight could be for Holland, Ward or direct-to-customer.

Speedy also did ODFL and New Penn until earlier this year. Holland is their longest and most well known though, to the point that linehaul is integrated very closely and both companies consider the other's terminals their own.

As for Day & Ross, where I currently work... I'm sure not going to miss it here. The corporate culture has become very sour and very anti-driver. Old-school tactics like making threats if you don't tow the line. I'll take my skills elsewhere in a heartbeat before I get treated like a moron.

Unfortunately for me, I can't run faster than 65mph anyway! Government of Ontario decrees that all trucks operating in the province regardless of origin must have the limiter set to 65.

But I'll look good doing it! :smilie93c peelout:
We all know that you ARE the Canadian Flyer but we'll also need to address the fact that winter is fast approaching. I'm sure your vast experience with winter driving is second nature compared to us in the sunny south but there are a few things you'll need to know...

1) although both Va & NC possess snow plows/salt shakers, they lack the funding and knowledge on how to use this equipment and their products!!

2) motorist in both states also lack the knowledge of how to navigate through adverse weather conditions!!

I-81 through Va is a crap shoot in the winter...some days the roads are maintained, some days they're not. I-77 from 81 to the state line is even a bigger crap shoot, usually the left lane is untouched while the heat from tires created a path in the right lanes.

Once you cross the state line into NC all bets are off...your truck IS the snow plow!! From the state line to I-40 the state doesn't touch the roads...well, you'll see the occasional salt shaker but he's usually sitting on a ramp taking a nap. From I-40 to CLT proper they attempt to address the roads but again, they lack the knowledge and funding to properly address the situation.

Let me also point out that Va primarily gets snow with some ice mixed in whereas in NC, we are the ice capital of the south!! If you see snow on the road in NC (which is rare), you can bet they'll be an inch of ice beneath it...but a majority of the time we get the ice without the snow. Let me also point out that most people can't drive on a clear, sunny day so you can only imagine what to expect when inclement weather sets in!! :tr10driving03:

Again, I know with your experience you'll find our roads to be a piece of cake but it's not you or us we worry about, it's the other motorist that insist they can drive on snow/ice at top speed!!

Good luck...