Questions on getting in with US Foods

Energizer03

TB Lurker
Credits
Anybody know what the roadtest consists of at USFoods in Swedesboro? Just curious. Theres a chance I may be applying there soon. Thanks in advance

Not sure

Hey "Energizer". I'm notsure about the roadtest for US foodservice. I drive for Martin Brower and ours was not too bad. Just do a pre trip, road evol and a backing exercise. Just to see where your skills are. Some of the places those guys goto. You have got to have keen backing skills. Tight alleys, backing off streets etc. Hope this help you out.

Welcome aboard Peteman1999, seems you have one of the best jobs in foodservice, congrats on that! I don't think its anything that Energizer can't handle, if he has a little experience, Sysco made me drive about 4 miles and that was it, I don't think there is a tougher road test anywhere than at Wal-Mart, and this ain't Wal-Mart, the way I understand it from friends that work there, the road test will getcha it your skills aren't up to par.

Anybody know what the roadtest consists of at USFoods in Swedesboro? Just curious. Theres a chance I may be applying there soon. Thanks in advance

Welcome to Truckingboards Brother!! You will do fine, US Foods is a good company to work for, I promise you it isn't that involved, if you have any experience, they just wanna make sure you can drive the truck safely.

it seems like US Foods does not have a standardized format for road tests, i think it will depend on your safety guy at the terminal that you are applying for, and a bigger question will be HOW BAD do they need more drivers. I know we are always looking for drivers in Buffalo, because many people don't want to do this much physical labor. So if you can keep from hitting things, and turn corners and shift, if they need work done, they will probably take you!

it seems like US Foods does not have a standardized format for road tests, i think it will depend on your safety guy at the terminal that you are applying for, and a bigger question will be HOW BAD do they need more drivers. I know we are always looking for drivers in Buffalo, because many people don't want to do this much physical labor. So if you can keep from hitting things, and turn corners and shift, if they need work done, they will probably take you!

Good point Bill, supply and demand..LOL!!!

exactly! USF is a good job, NOT a great job, there are plenty of compareable jobs out there paywise, the biggest thing USF has going for it is consistency of work. it doesn't slow down as much as freight or construction, so you wont get laid off.

BTW, if you get in, just keep your head down during your probationary period, and you will be fine. just remember, you will NEVER be fast enough for them, and take all of your breaks! don't skip them or save them for the end of the day, it sets a bad precedent!

True Bill, our breaks are there for a reason, we need them, I take mine, and my lunch, a guys gotta eat!

Another thing is, don't kill yourself, they don't appreciate it, just do the job, I had a school at the end of my route Fri, I wasn't due there till 1530, thats way to late for this school, I skipped 2 stops and got there at 1300, they had to stay but they got their product and it saved me from having to place 127 cases on the return trailer, the customer was happy that I got there and I didn't have to spend an hour backed up to the return trailer, I didn't do Sysco a favor, I did the customer and myself one.

We gotta think on our feet alot, its just part of the job.

We gotta think on our feet alot, its just part of the job.

We gotta think on our feet because the management doesn't.

299714.gif

Welcome aboard Peteman1999, seems you have one of the best jobs in foodservice, congrats on that! I don't think its anything that Energizer can't handle, if he has a little experience, Sysco made me drive about 4 miles and that was it, I don't think there is a tougher road test anywhere than at Wal-Mart, and this ain't Wal-Mart, the way I understand it from friends that work there, the road test will getcha it your skills aren't up to par.

Thanks GroceryThrower. I have been here for a good while now and I love this job. Last year I made about 82k. Great benefits, dispatch will work with you if you need time off for anything. I will try to post some pics this week coming up. I work out of the Manassas Va location.

Thanks GroceryThrower. I have been here for a good while now and I love this job. Last year I made about 82k. Great benefits, dispatch will work with you if you need time off for anything. I will try to post some pics this week coming up. I work out of the Manassas Va location.

That would be awesome!! Pictures are always good!!!! I'm looking forward to it!!!

Yall get breaks there is no time for pfg to take breaks. Our manifest dont have space for one. You have to skip around a lot of time. DIG,DIG, and DIG!!!

sounds like the load planners take advantage of guys....You guys seriously don't get any breaks in the beginning or ends of your shift, or a lunch break?

buffalobill said:
sounds like the load planners take advantage of guys....You guys seriously don't get any breaks in the beginning or ends of your shift, or a lunch break?

I think its common in this industry. There are MANY days we don't get one either. I'd say 1 day out of week you do.

They don't tell you that you can't but they do not schedule one no. What I do is its a 100 mi from my last stop, so i get the route done then I eat on the way back. I bring my lunch its like sandwiches and chips. Eat on the run. I do have stops that will feed you and give you drinks.

Hey peteman I also work for Martin Brower. I work out of the Fridley MN location. I have a few questions for you

1. Are you guys union? We are
2. Do you guys have forced dispatch? We do and we always get forced on are days off. We work 6-7 days a week and 70 hrs a week. Is it the same there?
3. How many stops do you have on your trucks?

They don't tell you that you can't but they do not schedule one no. What I do is its a 100 mi from my last stop, so i get the route done then I eat on the way back. I bring my lunch its like sandwiches and chips. Eat on the run. I do have stops that will feed you and give you drinks.

I end up doing this for my actual eating, because eating always slows me down during the day. I am usually hangin out, drinkin water, or chewing tobacco on my breaks. Plus, I have a lot of stops like you that will feed you, and that throws you off for a normal eating schedule...

Hey peteman I also work for Martin Brower. I work out of the Fridley MN location. I have a few questions for you

1. Are you guys union? We are
2. Do you guys have forced dispatch? We do and we always get forced on are days off. We work 6-7 days a week and 70 hrs a week. Is it the same there?
3. How many stops do you have on your trucks?

Hey MoneyMan01. Heres the breakdown on those questions you asked.

1. Yes we are union also
2. Our work week is generally 6 days aswell. Sometimes 7 and up to 70hrs
3. It all depends. All in all its not a bad place to work. The guys with the seniority get to have weekends off but by me being the lowdog on the totem pole I have got to earn my ranks.

How long have you been working for Martin Brower?