ODFL | Questions on Linehaul

Prodriver

TB Lurker
Credits
Getting ready to start running road for OD in a couple of weeks. I would appreciate it if some of you veteran OD drivers could take a crack at these questions. I know there is going to be a wild variance from terminal to terminal and with different runs and all, but just relate your own knowledge if you can.

1. How many days and hours does a road driver work?

2. How hard is it to come up with a dolly?

3. Any major problems waiting on trailers to get closed?

4. What is the procedure for checking into hotels?

5. How long do you get the room for?

6. Does a particular room at the hotel belong to OD? Or are you like a regular customer checking in?

7. What is your gross pay?

8. What is your weekly deductions for medical/dental/prescription, etc?

9. Are you worried about getting laid off or starved out?

10. Pulling sets, who pays the overweight tickets, company or driver?

11. Do you weigh your trailers before starting the trip? And does OD reimburse you for this?

12. How far from your home terminal do you travel on "wild"?

13. How long out?

14. How much does an XM radio cost?

15. If you pre-trip, and find a fault, how do you get it fixed? The terminal I'm at doesn't have a shop. I assume they contract with the local freightliner shop, but I'm curious, if you have to get going...what do you do?

16. Are you sorry you took this job?

17. If you didn't work for OD, who would you want to drive for?

18. Is there any reference where I can find out what the terminal identifier codes mean? I see all the codes on here, but don't know where the location is.

Thanks in advance for taking a shot at any or all of these questions. I look forward to joining you out there.

answers

Answer for 2....depends on how many drivers are hunting one......3..depends on where the hot freight is,in the trailer or they're trying to find it......6...you're a regular customer...that's about all a non driver can answer.

The answer for most of your question should be answered by the manager of the terminal or trainer you ride with and the answer for the rest you will answer as time passes.As for terminal codes most of them ,the first letter is also the first letter of the city.

I'll stab at a few..

1. A wild driver usually works 6 days for 48hr. off or 10 days for 72 hr. off. But a lot of that depends on how busy it is.
2. Usually plenty of dollys for everyone EIRI.
3. Life of a linehaul driver is wait then rush, you're always waiting for trailers to close or a relay.
4. Usual procedure is they will give you a PO # and you go to the motel and give them the number, they give you a room.
5. You get the room for as long as it takes them to get you moving again. I have spent days in CA waiting for freight.
6. I don't know of OD having any special rooms at a motel, you're just like everybody else checking in. Now if you're real lucky you'll get to visit an OD bunkhouse which is at the terminal.
7. gross pay? mileage x mileage rate plus drops and hooks.
8. medical,dental and eyeglass for family $67 wk.
9. Yes you can have some pretty slim weeks, always have some bucks put back.
10. Everything is the drivers responsibility unless you get written approval, if no one signs off on the weight it's your ticket.
11. Weigh everything at terminals that have scales, get trip sheet signed at the others. If you weigh at a truckstop they reimburse.

14. XM is 28.00 bucks every 3 months.
12.Travel as far away as you would like.
15. Deal with it until you can get it fixed where there is a shop.
13. As long as you want.
16. No Way
17. No one
18. You'll get the handle on the codes in due time.

18.....they should give you a list with your new driver stuff,if they don't ask for one....Do they still give trip sheets in this paperless world ?? If the do save them.

18.....they should give you a list with your new driver stuff,if they don't ask for one....Do they still give trip sheets in this paperless world ?? If the do save them.

Very good advice for anyone starting to run the system. Make a notebook of trip sheets or route guides to terminals. Make notes on the sheets of landmarks and correct mistakes( you'll find out what I mean). This comes in handy when you dispatch using the IVR as you don't get any route guide. Also even if you get a trip sheet you might not get directions and there might not be anyone that can give you accurate directions.

As far as terminal designations be sure you are going to the correct terminal, don't ASSume you know by the designation if you're not sure. People have actually pulled a set to the wrong terminal, for free of course, because they confused the 3 letter designations.

Very good advice for anyone starting to run the system. Make a notebook of trip sheets or route guides to terminals. Make notes on the sheets of landmarks and correct mistakes( you'll find out what I mean). This comes in handy when you dispatch using the IVR as you don't get any route guide. Also even if you get a trip sheet you might not get directions and there might not be anyone that can give you accurate directions.

As far as terminal designations be sure you are going to the correct terminal, don't ASSume you know by the designation if you're not sure. People have actually pulled a set to the wrong terminal, for free of course, because they confused the 3 letter designations.

You're not saying some of those directions are wrong are you ? Say it ain't so.

Thanks a lot for all of the replies. You know how it is starting a new job......there's a certain amount of stuff you're just going to have to deal with on the fly..........still, knowing as much as possible going in, and getting it directly from the source is a nice luxury if you can get it. No matter how many times I ask the question, I realize now that this isn't going to put a grand in my pocket every week, but I can wish!

I got a call back today from a local outfit that hauls fuel. Bad timing, I would have taken it a month ago when I first applied, but I've already been through the whole process with OD, I'm going for it.

What do you mean....if no one signs off on the weight? If the bills say you have 20,000 lbs on a trailer, and you have 25,000 and you get a ticket; does that mean someone signed off on the weight or no?

What are the axle weight limits for doubles?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Anything anyone wants to know about driving for the grocery biz, or log hauling, just ask! LOL

Maybe I can help with some of your technical questions when you do start driving OTR or as a local. It's been too many years since I drove OTR for the rest of your questions. You can check out my profile if you need more info. By the way, I spent over 20 years in a Freightliner shop if that's a help.

Maybe I can help with some of your technical questions when you do start driving OTR or as a local. It's been too many years since I drove OTR for the rest of your questions. You can check out my profile if you need more info. By the way, I spent over 20 years in a Freightliner shop if that's a help.

Welcome to the O.D. forum JerryH....I'm sure there will be a lot of questions coming your way.

What do you mean....if no one signs off on the weight? If the bills say you have 20,000 lbs on a trailer, and you have 25,000 and you get a ticket; does that mean someone signed off on the weight or no?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. Anything anyone wants to know about driving for the grocery biz, or log hauling, just ask! LOL

The axle limits on a interstate highway are

steers 12000

Drives and trailers 20000

not to excede 80000

Sometimes. Rarely for me. if you are slightly O/W a supervisor will get the OK to send you anyway. This might be because you will probably burn enough fuel off before you get to the scale. Some state highways allow over 20000 Missouri is 22000. Like I say it is rare usally they give me another trailer and rework the O/W.

As soon as the weight goes over 17000 pounds I'm been told to ask for an OK to pull.
If you get it, that meens OD pays for the weight ticket, otherweise you pay.
Some Terminals have scales, so use them and note the weight on your hook up card and mention it to disp. Then they decide. howeer if you are over gross better don't pull.:1036316054:

Thanks again for the responses.

Does OD pay full rate for empty miles? I've seen a post or two mentioning pulling sets of empties.

Thanks again for the responses.

Does OD pay full rate for empty miles? I've seen a post or two mentioning pulling sets of empties.

I long as you have the correct trailers and go to the correct terminal it all pays the same,empty or full....Remember this...getting an o.k. to pull means getting a signature.VERBAL DON'T COUNT.

When the terminal is closed you deal with Central often not even talking to a person going through the IVR (automated disp. sys.) It is easy to use if everything is set up. If you have a O/W you will have to contact central. They always ask me if it would just be a fine or if it would be a fine and the scale would not let you continue on without fixing the trailer. None of the scales I cross will let you go on. So No one ever signs off for me.

So what does that mean if no one ever signs off for you? You miss a lot of runs? You go anyway and take your chances? Or you wait until the terminal opens and rework your freight?