ODFL | Questions on Linehaul

Weight policy at OD is a very misunderstood thing and is written nowhere from what I know. One of the first things you should do is weigh a set of empties and write this figure down. This will give you the basis for knowing just by looking at the manifest if you are going to be over gross. it will also give you a way to figure if the trailer weights on the manifest are correct when you weigh each axle. Very important also to know if you have bills that have inaccurate weights and you have the heaviest trailer in the rear.
I pull out of terminals with scales and without. I do not pull a set from a terminal without weighing them or getting an OK either in writing at terminal or a full name from central with a clear understanding what i'm asking for. If you stand your ground they will comply. I will not knowingly pull a set of obvious over gross as they will park you at the scalehouse and you will sit for free until OD decides they are interested enough to do something. I have gotten quite a few scale tickets for over on an axle, every trip sheet has been signed and OD paid the tickets. I get copies of everything and keep them especially the interview sheet you sign that says driver not responsible for ticket. If OD doesn't pay the ticket for whatever reason the state is coming after you first so keep your paperwork.
I know drivers that have had $100 per wk out of their ck to cover a scale ticket when they were in the wrong. CYA!!!!

O.D. knows the exact empty weight of every trailer they have.I believe it is in the back of one of the big route guide books.Maybe you could catch somebody(dispatcher) when they're not really thinking good (plenty of opportunities there) and get him to make you a copy.

The axle limits on a interstate highway are

steers 12000

Drives and trailers 20000

not to excede 80000

Sometimes. Rarely for me. if you are slightly O/W a supervisor will get the OK to send you anyway. This might be because you will probably burn enough fuel off before you get to the scale. Some state highways allow over 20000 Missouri is 22000. Like I say it is rare usally they give me another trailer and rework the O/W.

slightly over wieght :biglaugh: :biglaugh: ive hooked at some term that had scales and been 5000 over on a axle before also have to watch your gross in some areas they will overload you if you let them if it ain't safe and leagal you don't have to take it

If OD doesn't pay the ticket for whatever reason the state is coming after you first so keep your paperwork.
I know drivers that have had $100 per wk out of their ck to cover a scale ticket when they were in the wrong. CYA!!!![/QUOTE]

had my truck impounded at winchester va because of one driver not paying his overwait ticket by the time central comchecked the fine there where 5 od trucks impounded and the origanal driver lost his job always make sure they pay if they are responsibal never herd who was at fault in that incident driver or company just know he got fired for not metting his oblagation for the fine this was 3 years ago

If you are overweight and they do sign off on it for you to run make sure you stay on the designated route.If not on designated route and you get a ticket,its your baby then.Also since the bridge collapse most states are enforcing their weight issues about trucks so be careful about pulling a heavy trailer,seems trucks are the blame for the collapse and not faulty engineering.

I wouldn't really doubt that trucks were partially to blame for that collapse, but the root of it was "outdated" engineering, not faulty engineering. The authorities simply haven't kept pace with increased traffic loads. That much is obvious everywhere you look, just takes something like this to bring attention to it.

1. How many days and hours does a road driver work? depends of term...gbo 6 days 70hrs max can request to come home for one 10hr block..you might be home more but you never know

2. How hard is it to come up with a dolly?
some terminals and depends on how busy

3. Any major problems waiting on trailers to get closed?i found this happned very little

4. What is the procedure for checking into hotels? ask the dispatcher for a pro and they give it to you and directions...unless its a dark term then call central get pro and directions from them.

5. How long do you get the room for? 10 hrs or till you get a load

6. Does a particular room at the hotel belong to OD? Or are you like a regular customer checking in? regular but the hotel is suposed to hold a fue for od but if its realy busy you may have to find your own and od pays you back

7. What is your gross pay? i made right before i got out of LH 14-16 hundred pre tax

8. What is your weekly deductions for medical/dental/prescription, etc? 50-60 bucks i guess is pretty standerd

9. Are you worried about getting laid off or starved out?not realy but local in GBO i got laid off last year. no LH got the axe

10. Pulling sets, who pays the overweight tickets, company or driver? if you get it ok od will

11. Do you weigh your trailers before starting the trip? And does OD reimburse you for this?
yes but many places have scales not way too many but a hand full

12. How far from your home terminal do you travel on "wild"? im from GBO ive been to boston miami denver and LA

13. How long out?up to you

14. How much does an XM radio cost?dont know about radio but monthly is like 15

15. If you pre-trip, and find a fault, how do you get it fixed? The terminal I'm at doesn't have a shop. I assume they contract with the local freightliner shop, but I'm curious, if you have to get going...what do you do? if its bad and you cant go then you cant go. tell term and they will take care of it...might have to get a new tractor

16. Are you sorry you took this job?not normaly.

17. If you didn't work for OD, who would you want to drive for? southeastern saia

18. Is there any reference where I can find out what the terminal identifier codes mean? I see all the codes on here, but don't know where the location is.ODFL.com

Thanks in advance for taking a shot at any or all of these questions. I look forward to joining you out there

dont be too eager to say that.:hysterical:

Sounds like you're making good money L/H in GBO. How come you gave it up? Missed hometime?

Thanks a lot Jason, awesome job answering the questions. Everything helps. I haven't even got on the road with OD yet, and I'm already thinking ahead to the next job if it doesn't work out. :hide: That's just me, looking for something to be paranoid about. I hope it does work out though, nothing would make me happier than for this to be my last job!

every job sucks,thats why its called a job,you just try to find one thats bearable,every job gets old after a while.

That is true cracker, there's been plenty of times where OD hasn't been a thrill to be at either. But it's a job for now until I hit the Powerball later this week.

That is true cracker, there's been plenty of times where OD hasn't been a thrill to be at either. But it's a job for now until I hit the Powerball later this week.

NO WAY Forget that Powerball, I gona take it. I allready orderd my Island in the caribic with erotic drinks and exotic women (or vicaversa).
Give me your Adress so I can send you a postcard.:cool: :red_bandana: :pirate2:

Heard a driver say on the CB today "Cant we all just get along?" I delivered a playground today, so I deserve it the most. Buy a ticket next week. Should still be like a million. Thank you!

It was almost 2 weeks ago that I passed my road test, physical, etc., and still no word from OD on a start date. Now that I've made the decision on who I'm going with, I just want to get out there and see how bad I screwed up? Or if I screwed up! LOL Just kidding, I wish these guys would call though.

It was almost 2 weeks ago that I passed my road test, physical, etc., and still no word from OD on a start date. Now that I've made the decision on who I'm going with, I just want to get out there and see how bad I screwed up? Or if I screwed up! LOL Just kidding, I wish these guys would call though.

OD mgmt. is not the best on following thru or employee relations. Hope you didn't join on in time for a slowdown with a lot of unpaid home time.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about too. Not meaning to panic here, but I have a little experience in the trucking industry, and I know what this may mean. If I haven't heard from them by the end of the month, I'll start following through with plans B and C.