SAIA | Questions re: linehaul job in Indy

xcornflake

TB Lurker
Credits
I'm thinking about taking a linehaul job in Indianapolis IN. and have some questions.
Does SAIA keep you out all week or do they run turns and one layover or what?
Do road drivers have to work the dock like Conway?
How long does it take to reach top pay scale?
Do they force linehaul drivers to run teams?
How is dispatch done, 2 hour work call or a couple times per day or what?
Is the health insurance any good and what do you pay for it? [husband/wife]
I've always worked for one of the major union freight companies and need to know what is different at SAIA.
TIA

I'm thinking about taking a linehaul job in Indianapolis IN. and have some questions.
(1)Does SAIA keep you out all week or do they run turns and one layover or what?
(2)Do road drivers have to work the dock like Conway?
(3)How long does it take to reach top pay scale?
(4)Do they force linehaul drivers to run teams?
(5)How is dispatch done, 2 hour work call or a couple times per day or what?
(6)Is the health insurance any good and what do you pay for it? [husband/wife]
I've always worked for one of the major union freight companies and need to know what is different at SAIA.
TIA

Let's take them in order. As a disclaimer I've been in linehaul less than a year so.....given that here goes:
(1) There are bid run drivers and what may be commonly by some as referred to as extra board drivers. Saia refers to those not on bid runs as system drivers. Bid runs are set and you essentially know where going (assuming everything goes as planned) all the time. These runs are given out on a senority basis. These runs vary in availability from terminal to terminal depending on the number of linehaul drivers assigned to each terminal.

(2) The only time a linehaul driver is required to work the dock is if the run has a workoff enroute. Even then if the terminal is not dark (closed) the driver may not necessarily have to work the dock. That work is done on the clock. Otherwise, no forced dock work.

(3) I believe top pay is reached at or about 18 months.

(4) No forced teams. At least nothing spoken of as of this date.

(5) Bid drivers have to report early enough to be fueled and ready to depart the gate at scheduled departure time. Of course, that is no guarantee the freight will be ready on time. System drivers are given a two hour window to report before scheduled departure time. The driver can begin delay pay 30minutes after scheduled departure time if load is not ready. But one has to ask for it.

(6) The insurance is not outstanding, but unless one works for a top tier in benefits company in the US, it is pretty much standard stuff. They could improve in some areas, but that is one person's opine. I've been with the company long enough that my premiums are paid for them. I believe one of the other posters might enlighten us on the premiums.

Re: question 1

System drivers may do turns or stay out a various number of nights. I've had weeks it was all turns and last week I left on Mon nite/Tues morn and didn't get done until Sat pm. A lot depends upon how much help is needed at the home terminal and where you are sent. I always pack for 5 days out. Ya jus never know.

System drivers may do turns or stay out a various number of nights. I've had weeks it was all turns and last week I left on Mon nite/Tues morn and didn't get done until Sat pm. A lot depends upon how much help is needed at the home terminal and where you are sent. I always pack for 5 days out. Ya jus never know.

Well BrotherTrucker, You answered questions I was about to ask. You killed two birds with one stone.
On the insurance is it PPO or POS? Thanks in advance.

Well BrotherTrucker, You answered questions I was about to ask. You killed two birds with one stone.
On the insurance is it PPO or POS? Thanks in advance.

Your welcome,

Saia uses a PPO. Our personal family physician is on their list as are many. United Healthcare is the organization we deal with.