SAIA | questions

brutus

TB Veteran
Credits
these question cover both me and my wife.

what is the top pay for clerks??

for me
what is the top pay for line drivers?
how many years to top pay?
what type of runs(IE: bag,meets out & back)?
do drivers work the dock?
any type of bonus?

hi brutus,top pay at my term, is 51.05 per mile,21.05 per hr. i think it takes 3 yrs 2 top.u will start at the bottem if u are just coming in.plan on overnites,1 day then back,most of the time..no bonus that i no of. if tired u dont have to work dock.i dont no what clerks get paid, ill check and get back..

here's what little I know and will try to find out more

At DLS linehaul is .5125 per mi.
Linehaul bids on runs and those who don't get runs are system drivers. There are a lot of meet and turns or pure turns. Some runs are laydowns.
Some of the linehaul schedules are set up so that if a driver chooses to (or may be mandatory) can go pick up drop trailers in the city (gravy runs). These are early daytime departures that return early in the day.(Around 2p.m for example)
The only time a road driver works on the dock is if the load calls for a workoff at an enroute terminal or if a trailer has to be worked off to get an empty on a turn. That is hourly pay.

The city here tops out at 21. As for clerks, have to check on that. After 10 yrs insurance is paid by the company. Time with Connection company will count towards company senority.

Alas, no bonus. Quite some time ago the employees were given a choice of a bonus based on the O.R. or 2 additional personal days. The majority chose the additional personal days. Now that the O.R. is in the low 90's hmmmm.........

BT is right on with is post. Line haul tops out at .5125cpm and 20.30hr. This hourly pay is for workoffs, breakdown, delays, waiting on freight or equipment, etc. I believe starting pay is .4575cpm. Starting hourly is 20.30hr right off the bat. Top pay is reached in 18 months. This is for the east and southeast territories. I haven't a clue about the left coast. I really like the 2 paid holidays for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Lots of companies only pay for 1 per holiday. Also, can't help you on the clerical.

thanks everyone.
i will have to look in to this.they told he that freight will double for them so i know that they will need line drivers.i would have went to work for them(connection) a long time ago but could not afford the pay cut.

Bennies

Paid Holidays-New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, 2 days Thanksgiving, 2 days Christmas.

Vacation-2 weeks after one year of service, after that it is scheduled on the calendar year,(I think after 8 years) 3 weeks vacation,5 personal days. I may be wrong on the 2 weeks. Possibly 1 week after 1st calendar year then two after 2 years.

401k-immediate vesting 6% company match

Medical insurance-not sure on the premiums, may vary by region. Company pays all after 10 years of service (if you have a young family this is especially great). PPO and drug card. Co pay on both.

Uniforms-Linehaul-company pays 50%, city- $100 towards uniforms in January and again in July. Uniforms are mandatory for city drivers.

3 days bereavement and 5 days jury duty pay.

If I'm incorrect on this I think our resident HR recruiter can correct the errors. Hope this helps

Paid Holidays-New Years Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, 2 days Thanksgiving, 2 days Christmas.

Vacation-2 weeks after one year of service, after that it is scheduled on the calendar year,(I think after 8 years) 3 weeks vacation,5 personal days. I may be wrong on the 2 weeks. Possibly 1 week after 1st calendar year then two after 2 years.

401k-immediate vesting 6% company match

Medical insurance-not sure on the premiums, may vary by region. Company pays all after 10 years of service (if you have a young family this is especially great). PPO and drug card. Co pay on both.

Uniforms-Linehaul-company pays 50%, city- $100 towards uniforms in January and again in July. Uniforms are mandatory for city drivers.

3 days bereavement and 5 days jury duty pay.

If I'm incorrect on this I think our resident HR recruiter can correct the errors. Hope this helps
vacation is that the most you can get???

she's going to gain 3 personal days and one holiday.

More info

I believe 4 weeks is max vacation, and if I remember correctly it is after 18 years service. That seems a bit excessive, but, we ain't setting the routes, just drivin the bus.

I hope I was correct on the holidays.

Dunno how it is elsewhere, but......

Asked one of our office clerks who has quite a bit of company time in and she is in the $15+ range.

As you may well be aware, pay is based on local market conditions as a general rule. If you have friends at other freight companies who are office clerks ask around and you may get a general idea of what the payscale might be close to.

BT is

Asked one of our office clerks who has quite a bit of company time in and she is in the $15+ range.

As you may well be aware, pay is based on local market conditions as a general rule. If you have friends at other freight companies who are office clerks ask around and you may get a general idea of what the payscale might be close to.

You are dead on BT. I think they will be happy with the over all situation at SAIA.

Any other questions?

CSTAATS,

Is there anything I missed on the benefits, holidays, etc.

Since the company is being bought, is it safe to assume that there will be no 90 day probationary period?