Quitline

WildHeart

TB Veteran
Credits
So after getting an initial call from the "Quitline", to help me stop smoking, all I can say is.. what a joke. If they think continuing to use such a snotty, ill mannered and low brow woman such as the one I spoke to, supposedly to sign me up with a coach is going to get more people to quit, I say.. good luck.

Anyone else had experience with this service?

If all I needed was desire, I would be 6'2" tall, weigh 120lbs be independently wealthy and live on a house boat with room service, on my 400 acre plot of land with a private jet.

Desire isn't always just what you need, sometimes you need some tools.. and killer heels.

What about starting with E-Cigs or Nicorette gum? Dont know if that works, i never smoked........Cigerettes

I smoked 3 packs a day b/4 I quit, took a total of 10 days and was able to smoke all I wanted to the first 7 days. I took Wellbutrin and have been smoke free for 14 years. by the way my wife still smokes so I had plenty of temptation to smoke.

I quit several times, using different methods. The final time I made up my mind that cigarettes wouldn't control me. I used the nicotine lozenges and regular chewing gum and mints. I'm still hooked on chewing gum.

Guardrail

The e-cigs are deplorable and I fail to see how smoking water vapor with a higher concentration of nicotine in them helps and we still don't know if there are side effects from them, I don't want to trade one bad habit for another, the quitline offers patches and that was my purpose for calling them.
Gum will be another one for me to try and if all else fails I will ask for Wellbutrin.

The patches are ok but after a while you start running out of spots to place them without getting an irritating rash from them. I don't like to chew gum so the nicotine gum didn't work very well.

Chantix was awesome but you can't operate a CMV while you're on it. Wellbutrin is almost as good though, and that's probably the route I'd take.

Some friends who have quit said their children were the greatest motivation for them to give up the habit. They didn't want their children to get the habit. One said his friend asked if not being around for the children's graduations & weddings was worth considering. I lost a brother in law & two cousins to lung cancer. All were very intelligent people & in fact two had Einstein IQ's. I have heard that women & very intelligent people had more problem with addictions than the rest of us dummies.
On a lighter note I knew a man who gave up smoking after forty years of nicotine craving. He said quitting smoking was easy, in fact he quit every Friday afternoon when he got off work & went home for the weekend. When he did quit he said he made payments on a new pickup with money he normally spent on cigarettes.
Hang in there girl, we are pulling for you.

I quit when I was 27, now I'm 63. Biggest motivation for me was the green stuff I would hack up some mornings.

. . . . . . and killer heels.

Well the heels will get you closer to 6' 2".

I put them things down cold turkey about 20 years ago. It was not easy. Although I do not smoke anymore, I have had a couple along the way. I could count on one hand how many I have had since I quit, even if I didn't have all my fingers.

You just have to decide for yourself that you do not need them or want them anymore.

Then do it.

Well the heels will get you closer to 6' 2".

I put them things down cold turkey about 20 years ago. It was not easy. Although I do not smoke anymore, I have had a couple along the way. I could count on one hand how many I have had since I quit, even if I didn't have all my fingers.

You just have to decide for yourself that you do not need them or want them anymore.

Then do it.
People who have never smoked cigarettes don't realize how addictive nicotine is.

Nicotine is more addictive than cocaine. I knew a minister who studied addictions because he spent his life helping addicts. He said alcoholism is genetic & three out of ten people are alcoholics from the first drink but nicotine is addictive to everybody.

Trying to. Hence the quitline.

Sent from my drone magnet

You quit only when you are ready... I smoked for over 20 years and when i quit on July 6 2003 I couldn't breathe, lit my morning cig, took one draw and then laid cig down and watched it burn to the filter and left my pack at home. I smoked one about four years ago and gaged and threw it away after 2 drags.

You quit when you want to not when someone else wants you to do so. Good luck.