Yellow | Quote. This is how it will happen.

Thing is. And I see it this way at times.
We have to get this straightened out before we leave for the generations coming in and the ones after that.
The generations before us accomplished alot. They sacrificed.
Of course we are sacrificing in a different way than they did. But we have to get this train we are on back on the tracks.
We. As a union of working blue collar workers have to get back what we lost and demand that... I say the union... But it's not "the union". We are the union. We must think that way. We are the union and demand that the people that we put in our union do what we want. Not what they want. It is our union. We need to take it back first before we can move on. So the generations after us can prosper and live a life without worrying the company or "union" is gonna crush us.

We have to get this straightened out before we leave for the generations coming in and the ones after that.
Of course we are sacrificing in a different way than they did. But we have to get this train we are on back on the tracks.
We. As a union of working blue collar workers have to get back what we lost and demand that... I say the union... But it's not "the union". We are the union. We must think that way. We are the union and demand that the people that we put in our union do what we want. Not what they want. It is our union. We need to take it back first before we can move on. So the generations after us can prosper and live a life without worrying the company or "union" is gonna crush us.
Bravo! Spot on. Change leadership, then hold their feet to the fire!

Basically you just confirmed my earlier point.
"Basically everyone is just riding it out and trying to keep hope alive even though realistically there is none except as stated in an earlier response a govt. bailout."
I was addressing the notion of going non union vs union for a contract, work rules and job security. Nothing whatsoever to do with the CSPF situation or a bailout. :shrug:

Bravo! Spot on. Change leadership, then hold their feet to the fire!
Yes. We don't have anything to lose. We really don't.
I know what I said sounds sappy. But we. As a union. Us. Not Hoffa or the people we elected.. Are the union. And as of right now the only thing we have left is our dignity.
They sure as hell are not getting that. I will keep that.

Will never happen you can't get 2 drivers from the same union to argee on anything. And your assumption of a next union generation is hard for one to believe.

Until we face our Greatest Foe which is * DENIAL * and accept the FACT that its not only the Companies or Union Leadership. Its BOTH whom are putting the screws to the rank & file members the situation will only continue to deteriorate. To each his/her own and I totally respect the choices each individual must make in the best interest of their family.
To whom is this one addressed? For me and the folks that I know, we all expect the company to screw us, and we all know that the union is screwing us too. What has us stumped is why is our union screwing us when they are being paid to protect us from the companies' screws?

To whom is this one addressed? For me and the folks that I know, we all expect the company to screw us, and we all know that the union is screwing us too. What has us stumped is why is our union screwing us when they are being paid to protect us from the companies' screws?

Because there is now less company's to screw over, so they will compensate themselves at the members expense. The Union has gone Cannibal and are now eating their own.

Well what I'm saying is I will never trust this company enough nor will I ever challenge the fundamental idea of organized labor. I'm one of those who say you can have my union card if you can pry it from my cold dead hand. Our problem isn't the union, it's the leadership at the International level and in many places.thats what we need to clean up one way or another!

Well what I'm saying is I will never trust this company enough nor will I ever challenge the fundamental idea of organized labor. I'm one of those who say you can have my union card if you can pry it from my cold dead hand. Our problem isn't the union, it's the leadership at the International level and in many places.thats what we need to clean up one way or another!
I understand that and so do most of people I know but we are in the minority. There is a problem that some speak of but I don't think many really realize. We are in the minority and our union is no longer ours. There are a handful of companies who's contracts are handled at the national level such as the contract formerly known as 'The Master Freight Agreement'. UPS Freight and Small Package would be the other two. All of the other contracts are negotiated, policed and enforced at the local level. Those members, comprised of school custodians, maintenance workers, secretaries, townships, state shops, etc have absolutely no knowledge of Hoffa and his incompetence, nor do they care. All they care about is that their contract is handled to their satisfaction and that nothing is disturbed. I know a group of public workers who came into the Teamsters Union about four years ago after being dumped by the Operating Engineers and a long run of poor contracts and representation. These guys simply LOVE the Teamsters Union. They have our health insurance (about the only thing left to love) and their union hall is substantially closer than the OE's hall was/is. When they call their B/A he is available and responsive. I know these guys well and have been trying to show them what Hoffa is all about but it is futile and I can see it. They might not all vote but none of them will be voting Zuckerman and they are a representative sample of what is out there.

I understand that and so do most of people I know but we are in the minority. There is a problem that some speak of but I don't think many really realize. We are in the minority and our union is no longer ours. There are a handful of companies who's contracts are handled at the national level such as the contract formerly known as 'The Master Freight Agreement'. UPS Freight and Small Package would be the other two. All of the other contracts are negotiated, policed and enforced at the local level. Those members, comprised of school custodians, maintenance workers, secretaries, townships, state shops, etc have absolutely no knowledge of Hoffa and his incompetence, nor do they care. All they care about is that their contract is handled to their satisfaction and that nothing is disturbed. I know a group of public workers who came into the Teamsters Union about four years ago after being dumped by the Operating Engineers and a long run of poor contracts and representation. These guys simply LOVE the Teamsters Union. They have our health insurance (about the only thing left to love) and their union hall is substantially closer than the OE's hall was/is. When they call their B/A he is available and responsive. I know these guys well and have been trying to show them what Hoffa is all about but it is futile and I can see it. They might not all vote but none of them will be voting Zuckerman and they are a representative sample of what is out there.
That is sad.

Why you ask?
GREED!

Union is all inclusive as far as who WE are. The leaders should be kicked out by the majority if they are not protecting the interest of ALL members. So when we say the LEADERS are the problem. We are basically saying WE as a UNION is the problem. Organized Labor has basically been identified with the likes of organized crime at this point.

I was addressing the notion of going non union vs union for a contract, work rules and job security. Nothing whatsoever to do with the CSPF situation or a bailout. :shrug:

YRC is already non union. its just not being publicly acknowledged. Denial is our greatest foe. It prevents progress and solutions.

That is sad.
You can imagine how I felt after telling them about things and all they could say is, "Hoffa's been good for us", when, in reality, it isn't Hoffa that did it for them. Oh....yeah, one other thing, one guy's daughter won a James R Hoffa Scholarship.:soapbox:

At our local (667) Holland there have been around 10 terminations at our 80 man terminal in the last 2 years. company 0 Union 10. All dismissed.

That figure is way to many. I retired ABF Indy city board Jan 2016. In the 17.2 years I was there only 4 people fired. 2 of those resigned over positive drug screens instead of being fired. We had a alternate steward test positive but he did 4 weeks rehab & came back with seniority intact. Maybe the hall helped him, I don't know. I do know you had to screw up really bad to be fired in Indy. Even our @ fault accidents by our guys, they all served less than 30 day suspensions & went back to work. Sounds like you have NO help from your Local Hall.

I would just like to point out that the Teamsters are not the ONLY union capable of representing truck drivers. The United Auto Workers union also represents a number of truck drivers. In fact, here in Canada the Canadian Auto Workers union (now a part of merged union Unifor) represents more truck drivers than the Teamsters do.

If you really don't want the IBT anymore, decertify and vote in the UAW. You don't have to be non-union without the IBT.

I would just like to point out that the Teamsters are not the ONLY union capable of representing truck drivers. The United Auto Workers union also represents a number of truck drivers. In fact, here in Canada the Canadian Auto Workers union (now a part of merged union Unifor) represents more truck drivers than the Teamsters do.

If you really don't want the IBT anymore, decertify and vote in the UAW. You don't have to be non-union without the IBT.
The UAW in hockey land must be doing something better than the Teamsters to have more drivers.