R.i.p marty vitran driver

Sad indeed, but how does one get pinned like that? I can think of several factors. One of them is not being aware of your surroundings and more notably this driver probably forgot to set his brakes.

What we have gathered as Line Haul drivers (you know how that is) but, the way it was explained to me sounds highly plausable. Driver was hooking up a set of pups at the dock and did not set the tractor brakes. He went back between the trailers to turn on the air leading from the front to rear pup the trailer brakes released and the truck began to roll. Instead of pulling the red line off the tail trailer he ran to the truck to pop the brakes. He was climbing into the truck door hit a pole crushing or pinning him between the door and the cab of the truck. Please remember this is the relayed story between us night time line drivers wether or not this is what or how it happened I really don't know. I guess when OSHA and DOT get done investigating it we will all know what for sure they found.

Thank you very much for the update !

What we have gathered as Line Haul drivers (you know how that is) but, the way it was explained to me sounds highly plausable. Driver was hooking up a set of pups at the dock and did not set the tractor brakes. He went back between the trailers to turn on the air leading from the front to rear pup the trailer brakes released and the truck began to roll. Instead of pulling the red line off the tail trailer he ran to the truck to pop the brakes. He was climbing into the truck door hit a pole crushing or pinning him between the door and the cab of the truck. Please remember this is the relayed story between us night time line drivers wether or not this is what or how it happened I really don't know. I guess when OSHA and DOT get done investigating it we will all know what for sure they found.

Damn, sorry to hear about this fella. I'm not perfect myself, and I have had this happen to me yrs ago when I started...forgot to set the brakes on the tractor & lead when hooking the lines to the rear. I quickly pulled the emergency line off & drained the dolly when it started to roll so both the dolly & the rear would lock up. I was lucky...glad I was thinking quickly at the time.

I know for all of my years in trucking you can get into a routine,then if you get in hurry.
By not focusing on every step of what your doing,that can get you in trouble.

To bad this driver lost his life.

Damn, sorry to hear about this fella. I'm not perfect myself, and I have had this happen to me yrs ago when I started...forgot to set the brakes on the tractor & lead when hooking the lines to the rear. I quickly pulled the emergency line off & drained the dolly when it started to roll so both the dolly & the rear would lock up. I was lucky...glad I was thinking quickly at the time.

Yeah I think all of us have had this situation happen to us at one time or another and just got lucky. This is our second accident of this same situation. First accident driver had his back towards the lead trailer (facing the tail trailer) when the tractor rolled backwards pinning the driver underneath or between the tires of the converter and the bottom of the tail trailer, he was lucky and got out with broken bones.

I think some of you guys didn't read the update.

The driver wasn't loading, unloading, or picking up, dropping off a trailer. He was refueling. He was exiting the cab when the truck rolled and pinned him against a post next to a fuel pump.

The driver forgot to set his brakes and didn't even have the time to react to fix the problem. I called it before this portion of the investigation was released. Sometimes, I hate it when I'm right.

I think some of you guys didn't read the update.

The driver wasn't loading, unloading, or picking up, dropping off a trailer. He was refueling. He was exiting the cab when the truck rolled and pinned him against a post next to a fuel pump.

The driver forgot to set his brakes and didn't even have the time to react to fix the problem. I called it before this portion of the investigation was released. Sometimes, I hate it when I'm right.

I'm wondering if the driver was fatigue and tired that he made this error.

He had just made it to work, he was at the fuel pump fueling. Just the tractor. No one seen what happen, so we can only guess. AIRBRAKE quoted it as good as it gets. I never even remember this guy having an accident in the last 15+ years at Vitran. I hope we can take these details and learn from them. You never know when its your turn but if you had a chance I believe you will take a pass.