R&L | R+L Carriers of Wilmington, Ohio, rejoined LTL's "billion-dollar club

In my state, it is not state law that they have to pay us overtime. But they do pay customer service overtime and not anyone else. What a crock of BS.

There is an exemtion OT law to help protect public safety in trucking. No OT pay for; drivers,loaders,mechanics or ect that have an effect on the safety of the vehicles.
CA & WA are the only two states that have not adoptted the OT laws.

This has been in place since de-regulation in the mid 70's. Many have tried to fight this & could not beat the law in the states that have it..

If you were an owner competing ; would you pay the OT & try to keep the shipping rates down ?

I know what you would do ?

I guess you could work in CS or the office if it bothers you that much ?
It sucks, but i've heard this for 20 years ???

There is an exemtion OT law to help protect public safety in trucking. No OT pay for; drivers,loaders,mechanics or ect that have an effect on the safety of the vehicles.
CA & WA are the only two states that have not adoptted the OT laws.

This has been in place since de-regulation in the mid 70's. Many have tried to fight this & could not beat the law in the states that have it..

If you were an owner competing ; would you pay the OT & try to keep the shipping rates down ?

I know what you would do ?

I guess you could work in CS or the office if it bothers you that much ?
It sucks, but i've heard this for 20 years ???

Hey,why would you care working in the office. As for the excuse of it being for safety?Drivers still work the over time hours,they just aren't compensated for it.Its a **** poor excuse.

Shadow.....I didn't make the law. Settle down. the facts are below.
I'm tired of hearing about this so often. If some companies are forced to pay OT, they will take other bennefits away.
Many don't have a clue what companies pay for daily operating cost.

The Motor Carrier Exemption Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Section 13(b)(1) of the FLSA is an exemption from overtime. The provisions of Section 7 (overtime) do not apply with respect to any employee to whom the Secretary of Transportation has power to establish qualifications and maximum hours of service pursuant to the provisions of Section 204 of The Motor Carrier Act.

Section 13(b)(1) of the FLSA provides an exemption from the overtime pay provisions, but not from the minimum wage (Section 6) requirements. This exemption has been interpreted as applying to any driver, driver's helper, loader or mechanic employed by a carrier and whose duties affect the safety of operation of motor vehicles in the transportation on public highways of passengers or property in interstate or foreign commerce.

Requirements
The Section 13(b)(1) overtime exemption applies to those employees for whom the Department of Transportation claims jurisdiction and if the employer is:

1) a private carrier and hauls property or;

2) a common or contract carrier and hauls property or passengers and additionally if;

a) the employee's duties (consisting wholly or in part) affect the safety of operation of a motor vehicle and;

b) the employee's travel is in interstate commerce (across State lines) or the employee handles trips which connect with an intrastate terminal (rail, air, water, or land) to continue an interstate journey of goods that have not come to rest at a final destination.

The exemption will apply to those employees called upon in the ordinary course of work to perform, either regularly or from time to time, safety-affecting activities. The employee comes within the exemption in all workweeks when he\she is employed in such work. This general rule assumes that the activities involved in the continuing duties of the job in all workweeks will include activities that affect safety of operation of motor vehicles. Where this is the case, the exemption will be applicable regardless of the proportion of "safety affecting activities" performed in a particular workweek.

Shadow.....I didn't make the law. Settle down. the facts are below.
I'm tired of hearing about this so often. If some companies are forced to pay OT, they will take other bennefits away.
Many don't have a clue what companies pay for daily operating cost.

The Motor Carrier Exemption Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

Section 13(b)(1) of the FLSA is an exemption from overtime. The provisions of Section 7 (overtime) do not apply with respect to any employee to whom the Secretary of Transportation has power to establish qualifications and maximum hours of service pursuant to the provisions of Section 204 of The Motor Carrier Act.

Section 13(b)(1) of the FLSA provides an exemption from the overtime pay provisions, but not from the minimum wage (Section 6) requirements. This exemption has been interpreted as applying to any driver, driver's helper, loader or mechanic employed by a carrier and whose duties affect the safety of operation of motor vehicles in the transportation on public highways of passengers or property in interstate or foreign commerce.

Requirements
The Section 13(b)(1) overtime exemption applies to those employees for whom the Department of Transportation claims jurisdiction and if the employer is:

1) a private carrier and hauls property or;

2) a common or contract carrier and hauls property or passengers and additionally if;

a) the employee's duties (consisting wholly or in part) affect the safety of operation of a motor vehicle and;

b) the employee's travel is in interstate commerce (across State lines) or the employee handles trips which connect with an intrastate terminal (rail, air, water, or land) to continue an interstate journey of goods that have not come to rest at a final destination.

The exemption will apply to those employees called upon in the ordinary course of work to perform, either regularly or from time to time, safety-affecting activities. The employee comes within the exemption in all workweeks when he\she is employed in such work. This general rule assumes that the activities involved in the continuing duties of the job in all workweeks will include activities that affect safety of operation of motor vehicles. Where this is the case, the exemption will be applicable regardless of the proportion of "safety affecting activities" performed in a particular workweek.

I'm aware that you didn't make the rule. Its still a **** poor reason and R+L takes advantage of a **** poor rule in order to make money on the backs of their employees.