R&L | R&L has changed!!! R&L has changed me!!!

Richard Herbert

TB Lurker
Credits
I have accepted that R&L is not the company that it used to be, and it may never be again...

It used to be the ABSOLUTE BEST place to work, when Mr. Roberts when was running his company. I guess thats what makes it so hard, to know what this company used to be.

I admire Mr. Roberts, and always have, and always will...I heard him say something, 3 years ago, at the employeee conference, that actually I disagree with him on.

(Gonna paraphrase) He actually said to the effect, that the Roberts family didn't have all the knowledge and understanding on how to run a trucking company, and thats why he brought in outsiders (ie the people from YRC)

With all due respect Mr. Roberts, you sir did know how to run a trucking company, and what your best talent was, was treating your employee's well, and getting the most out of them. We all worked hard for you, because we knew you had appreciation for us, and we had tremendous appreciation and admiration for you. It was obvious that you cared about your customers, and cared about your employee's. Mutual respect...

This is the main thing that has changed in my personal opinion, it appears that company is no longer focused on their customers. It only appears that R&L is only focused on numbers. IMHO, if R&L would focus on their customers again, the numbers would take care of themselves.

I show up everyday, and still do the best job I can, I give the company an honest days work, for my pay...I do not worry about the stops per hour, or any of that, I just try to do my best, and take care of the customers I have contact with. If they put more on me than I can possibly do, and can't get everything done, its not my problem, they need to bring in more drivers who are sitting at home.

I absolutely will not speed, or drive like a fanatic, for R&L, or anyone else.

I wonder if its the whole company that is run this way, or just our terminal. Our terminal continues to leave 5-6 guys home daily, due to lack of work. We have lost so many customers, its almost scary. Sometimes, I wonder if a bunch of Silver Bullet guys will show up one day, take over the terminal, clean house, and put our termianl back on track.

I don't want to see anyone lost their job, I just want to see the people who are running our terminal, do the right things, and take care of the customers, and the business in a professional way.

I am tired of complaining about things, I'm just gonna do the best I can, take care of my family, and take one day at a time.

My friend,I know you have heard this already but you really need to talk to Robby. This is an excelent post but totally wasted by not sending it where it needs to be. If things are as bad as you say they are and you let Robby know it Im sure you will see all those silver bullets. Our TM keeps us all working.Even the really low guys may come in a bit late but no one is sitting home. All our freight is getting delivered and picked up and other than a new dispatcher that should have stayed retired everything is operating well.

My friend,I know you have heard this already but you really need to talk to Robby. This is an excelent post but totally wasted by not sending it where it needs to be. If things are as bad as you say they are and you let Robby know it Im sure you will see all those silver bullets. Our TM keeps us all working.Even the really low guys may come in a bit late but no one is sitting home. All our freight is getting delivered and picked up and other than a new dispatcher that should have stayed retired everything is operating well.

Sometimes it is easier said than done, putting yourself out there and hoping something will be done only to have them look into it, then have your honeymoon period and back to normal within a month. Then what about retaliation from the TM? I can see and understand how some people do not call the "head honcho". We do not really have that problem at my term after I called and complained about our dumb regional sales guy. He is just plain STUPID. He is out of California. I have called HR before about stuff our TM does and I am told that as long as he does not break the law he can basically do whatever he wants. I have also called about other things and they are fixed for about a month, then back to normal. It is what it is. I know for a FACT that if our STUPID regional sales guy would get smart some how or pass the baton to a smart person we would be A LOT better off. Also if they would just let us do our job and not micro manage that would help us out a lot. Also one last idea, may seem a bit weird to some of you but here it goes, listen to your drivers, we are not all dumb. We just might actually have some pertant stuff to say. Yes we complain a lot but we are the ones out there doing it so if we have ideas about how to do it better, listen. A good leader is also a good follower. Hopefully our DUMB sales guy reads this! But how do you get a hold of Robby? Just call and ask for Robby? Just curious

Sometimes it is easier said than done, putting yourself out there and hoping something will be done only to have them look into it, then have your honeymoon period and back to normal within a month. Then what about retaliation from the TM? I can see and understand how some people do not call the "head honcho". We do not really have that problem at my term after I called and complained about our dumb regional sales guy. He is just plain STUPID. He is out of California. I have called HR before about stuff our TM does and I am told that as long as he does not break the law he can basically do whatever he wants. I have also called about other things and they are fixed for about a month, then back to normal. It is what it is. I know for a FACT that if our STUPID regional sales guy would get smart some how or pass the baton to a smart person we would be A LOT better off. Also if they would just let us do our job and not micro manage that would help us out a lot. Also one last idea, may seem a bit weird to some of you but here it goes, listen to your drivers, we are not all dumb. We just might actually have some pertant stuff to say. Yes we complain a lot but we are the ones out there doing it so if we have ideas about how to do it better, listen. A good leader is also a good follower. Hopefully our DUMB sales guy reads this! But how do you get a hold of Robby? Just call and ask for Robby? Just curious

That is exactly the way you get in touch with him,just ask for Robby Roberts' office. He may not be there or in a meeting but I will garuntee he will call you back personally.Also Jeff Copsey is just as willing to help when he can.If anyone needs to get in touch with Jeff and are having a hard time getting him due to being busy,let me know.I have his cell number and permission to give it to whoever needs it.

That is exactly the way you get in touch with him,just ask for Robby Roberts' office. He may not be there or in a meeting but I will garuntee he will call you back personally.Also Jeff Copsey is just as willing to help when he can.If anyone needs to get in touch with Jeff and are having a hard time getting him due to being busy,let me know.I have his cell number and permission to give it to whoever needs it.

What is Jeff Copsey's title?

I think it is Jim Fishpaw, not sure of the spelling but that is how it sounds. He came from Con-Way, maybe he is a regional.

I think it is Jim Fishpaw, not sure of the spelling but that is how it sounds. He came from Con-Way, maybe he is a regional.

Jim Fishpaw is also a VP of Human Resources, he is based out of DLS. I think he is over the western region. Jeff is in Wilmington, and is the head of the entire HR department.

You are missing my point shadow!!! I am not saying its bad...I am saying that I have accepted the new R&L, and their ways, even if I don't understand them, or agree with them..They have changed me to accept the new R&L.

R&L has changed, and I have decided that I have to go along to get along...Actually its not so bad, it takes the pressure off of me...I do what I can, and don't worry, because I have accepted I can only do so much. R&L does not want the drivers input, they only want us to be robots.

When labor is cut to the point, that you run your customers off, by not being able to service them, all you can do as a driver is take one day at a time, and continue to look for an exit strategy if and when, it gets to the point that it affects you..

Wilmington is aware of the situation at our terminal, several drivers have made calls up there...NOW, the ball is in their court...Whether or not they do anything is their business, and if they choose to do something, or nothing, is their business, I am just one man, taking care of my family, and the weight of the way R&L runs their business is no longer my concern...They will continue to get an honest days work out of me, for my pay...

Great thread!!!! I miss the old R&L too!!!! Family run was definitely better. Before this stops per hour crap and leaving guys home,we were the only company that never had a slow period. We were picking up new customers left and right because Customer service was our only priority. In those days everybody worked everyday,stops were divided out equally. Maybe you only had 6 or 7 deliveries,and only worked a 6 or 7 hour day,but there was never a missed pick-up,and that word got around. One missed pick-up a day is the worst thing an LTL carrier can do. Missing pick-ups doesnt seem to be such an issue these days. As a matter of fact,a missed pick-up is no big deal anymore,happens so much it's just expected. It's just a matter of which customer will get the shaft and which one will get picked up. I've also come to accept the NEW R&L, we have turned into just another trucking company. I remember when customers would pay a little bit of a higher rate just because of our service,Dont really hear customers talking about our service anymore, Now it's just them sayin we had the best price. Could also be due to the fact we run short handed everyday and if we show up for a pick-up it's usually 5 minutes before they close or the phone call asking them to stay late so we can make the pick-up. My customers say we are the only company that calls begging them to stay 20 minutes everyday.

I hope I am not intruding here fellas but this sounds exactly like what happened after Fedex purchased my employer, AF. The philosophy that is dangerous is called Total Quality Management! look out for this BS. It is from a man named Deming, he was the driving force behind Microsoft's managements missteps that cost them. And Apple had the vision to realize that it IS people that make world of business work... not a spreadsheet! Microsoft focused on 1 thing...TQM. And lost sight of the reason consumers wanted their product. Just like Fedex did. The only difference is today Fedex is at the point of Critical Mass. And the changes they are coming. Either R&L will understand that customers are people that are to be respected, not dismissed as an annoyance. Good Luck to all. I used to work with one of your TM's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input POPCORN!!! Its amazing the way some of these companies are operating... These highly educated idiots are running their companies into the ground...Our company ran best, when a High School drop out, by the name of Larry Roberts ran this company...He was also the founder of our company...

Mr. Roberts understood, that in order to run a successful business, the two main things you had to do, was take care of your customers, and take care of your employee's, and everything else would take care of itself...

Mr. Roberts did both very well, and for about 15 of my years with R&L, I thought I found the company that I would retire from...I used to love my job, it was a pleasure to come to work...No more, the morale has been COMPLETELY destroyed...I have after 3 years, finally just decided to accept it...I don't like it, but I have finally decided that Mr Roberts has handed his company off, to those who may be highly educated, but are IGNORANT when it comes to people skills, and running and growing a company...

I am hanging on for a while longer, in hopes that someone who has ownership in this company (ie the Roberts family) will see what is going on, and make some changes...Don't know if it will happen, but that is my hope for our company...

I hope I am not intruding here fellas but this sounds exactly like what happened after Fedex purchased my employer, AF. The philosophy that is dangerous is called Total Quality Management! look out for this BS. It is from a man named Deming, he was the driving force behind Microsoft's managements missteps that cost them. And Apple had the vision to realize that it IS people that make world of business work... not a spreadsheet! Microsoft focused on 1 thing...TQM. And lost sight of the reason consumers wanted their product. Just like Fedex did. The only difference is today Fedex is at the point of Critical Mass. And the changes they are coming. Either R&L will understand that customers are people that are to be respected, not dismissed as an annoyance. Good Luck to all. I used to work with one of your TM's.

I too am an AF lover.AF was a great company to work for and then FedEx came along and destroyed it.I didn't make it for very long after that. I came to R + L and I too thought this was the place to be,then the changes began to happen.Now it is very similar to how AF was when FedEx just started taking over.I hope it doesn't get as bad as it got there because this time I'm stuck here pay wise.

the morale has been COMPLETELY destroyed

You can say that again! I am still on the bottom of the seniority after 7 years and since December I call in every day at 11 to see when I get to come in and struggle to make 35 hours and that's only because senior drivers have decided to take a day off a week to pass it down to me. I remember going out on my run with 9 stops and because my area didn't have many pickups I was able to stop on my way back to grab pickups on other routes. Now days those pickups are gone because we can't get anyone there thanks to the numbers game

We can save money by getting rid of these people who only seem to worry about crunching numbers when we are slow. Seems we only worry about this every year for these couple of months. My numbers are just the same in the summer if not lower,and nobody says a thing about it then.As a matter of fact we usually hire a few drivers every year around that time. People crunching numbers are trying to justify their employment with the company and show their importance. In the same time we are losing customers due to missed pick-ups. Numbers were never an issue when this company was run by the family. Should be cutting the hours of people not actually out there and doin the customer service that we do. Great strategy WIL, every year we are slowly declining to the level of every other LTL carrier. Save money by cuttin hours of people not on the road,If we are so slow there really shouldnt be a need for the office to be fully staffed either. Have the office people call in at Noon to see if they are needed for the day.

We can save money by getting rid of these people who only seem to worry about crunching numbers when we are slow. Seems we only worry about this every year for these couple of months. My numbers are just the same in the summer if not lower,and nobody says a thing about it then.As a matter of fact we usually hire a few drivers every year around that time. People crunching numbers are trying to justify their employment with the company and show their importance. In the same time we are losing customers due to missed pick-ups. Numbers were never an issue when this company was run by the family. Should be cutting the hours of people not actually out there and doin the customer service that we do. Great strategy WIL, every year we are slowly declining to the level of every other LTL carrier. Save money by cuttin hours of people not on the road,If we are so slow there really shouldnt be a need for the office to be fully staffed either. Have the office people call in at Noon to see if they are needed for the day.

We are worse than the other LTL carriers. We are now on the same level as those dirtbag local boys with crap runnin out their ears. FedEX, YRC, Reddaway, Saia, OD, Conway all have a better rap than us. At least where I am at. I am almost ashamed to say where I work anymore.

I've worked here for ten yrs, and I fully agree, this is not the company I hired on to. I still appreciate the things, like the vacation properties, but I'd gladly trade them for the respect, and gratitude I used to feel. The family atmosphere, was the reason I wanted to work here, and that seems to be a thing of the past. I, like most of you, stay because one, I can't find better pay anywhere else, I've looked, and although I have nearly no respect left for the company, i do have respect for senior. Not that I matter in the great scheme of things, but I hope the family starts to value us more than the dollar before I throw away the years of service I've give thus far.

I've worked here for ten yrs, and I fully agree, this is not the company I hired on to. I still appreciate the things, like the vacation properties, but I'd gladly trade them for the respect, and gratitude I used to feel. The family atmosphere, was the reason I wanted to work here, and that seems to be a thing of the past. I, like most of you, stay because one, I can't find better pay anywhere else, I've looked, and although I have nearly no respect left for the company, i do have respect for senior. Not that I matter in the great scheme of things, but I hope the family starts to value us more than the dollar before I throw away the years of service I've give thus far.

Good first post.Welcome to Trucking Boards.