R&L | R+L history video

there is so much potential in this company. We need to lose the FNG's from yellow and get back to what made this a first rate LTL company. We are all waiting for the Robert's to stand tall again and captain the ship.

Tis a sad day indeed when all you have worked for is allowed to rot away to nothingness. The boys ought to be ashamed of themselves.

The boys ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Ought to be, but aren't, and won't ever be. Sadly, I've seen this pattern before, and it's always the same. I wound up at R+L because at the company I planned to retire from, the company got handed down to the son-in-law. He came up with this brilliant money saving scheme to shut down the trucking fleet and outsource everything to an outside carrier. His father-in-law built that company from dirt, but his wife just grew up rich, and this little toad married money, and wanted to maximize his Mercedes budget while minimizing the amount of actual work he'd ever have to do.

The same thing happened at Walmart when Sam Walton died. My wife worked there before and after, and it's a totally different company now that the family aspect of it is gone, and the greedy bean counters are running everything.

So where are the new people building a company from one truck, or turning a back woods sawmill into a furniture company, or building a chain of retail stores from one 5-and-dime in the middle of BFE? It seems like all that kind of innovation was a product of the '60s and '70s, and there's nobody building anything like that from scratch anymore; just the people who inherited it all, and are hell bent on wringing every last drop of money out of it before they destroy what the generation before them built with blood, sweat, and tears.

I guess it's just something different about the times in general. It was a different atmosphere back then. It was a different culture, and a different country in a lot of ways.

When you think about it, it's not just business either. Look at that huge bridge collapse that happened recently, and all the other big problems we're having with our major infrastructure falling apart. On the whole, as a nation, we're all depending on what the previous generation built, but we're not keeping it up, and we're not building anything new to carry the whole process forward, whether it's new bridges or building new companies from dirt.

America is chipping away at itself bit by bit, and falling apart. What we're seeing over here at R+L is just a minor skirmish that's part of a major war to prevent the collapse of the American way of life, and it doesn't look like the American way of life is very likely to come out of this victorious, I'm depressed to say.

my wife and i retired from R&L in jan. 2010. We did so both from an age stand point, and a discouraged stand point. we worked at the company for 10 1/2 years, in the better days of the company. the last year to year and a half was miserable . i know you have all heard this before, but i had hoped to see s comeback with R&L, but i guess not. As companies go, when we left opinions were all over from a disaster of a company, to a great place to work. everyone has a diiferent view. if yoiu are fairly new, and dont know any better, its an ok place to work. if you are a older hand, you know what it used to be. 1999-2008, great. senior would be in the lunch room, talking to drivers, etc., because he cared how you were doing. mr. roberts knew everyone, their first names, and what they did. we had good equiptment, and ran steady. remember, our view was from a team drivers job. skip ahead 2 years, we were in used, sub standard equiptment breaking down over and over, watching our team rens going to paramount, or the outside carriers purchased by r&l. sitting in terminals for hours watching good loads driving by us, and no one cared. we were now a big time, coast to coast company(another mistake, in my opinion.) i read this forum, and see almost no participation, never any good news, etc. i feel very bad for all the drivers trying to still make the company work, in spite of management. you are better men than me in that respect.

my wife and i retired from R&L in jan. 2010. We did so both from an age stand point, and a discouraged stand point. we worked at the company for 10 1/2 years, in the better days of the company. the last year to year and a half was miserable . i know you have all heard this before, but i had hoped to see s comeback with R&L, but i guess not. As companies go, when we left opinions were all over from a disaster of a company, to a great place to work. everyone has a diiferent view. if yoiu are fairly new, and dont know any better, its an ok place to work. if you are a older hand, you know what it used to be. 1999-2008, great. senior would be in the lunch room, talking to drivers, etc., because he cared how you were doing. mr. roberts knew everyone, their first names, and what they did. we had good equiptment, and ran steady. remember, our view was from a team drivers job. skip ahead 2 years, we were in used, sub standard equiptment breaking down over and over, watching our team rens going to paramount, or the outside carriers purchased by r&l. sitting in terminals for hours watching good loads driving by us, and no one cared. we were now a big time, coast to coast company(another mistake, in my opinion.) i read this forum, and see almost no participation, never any good news, etc. i feel very bad for all the drivers trying to still make the company work, in spite of management. you are better men than me in that respect.

There have been questionable practices for sure.Thanks for posting.

That all sounds too bad, but that usually what happens to companies. I watched the u tube video, impressed how they grew. What was the vacations spots they offer employees, just real reasonable rates, or do they own those spots? That sound like that would be a nice perk of the job.