R&L | R+L Opportunity - what to expect right out of CDL school?

Oh cripes. You need a crying towel right? Get over it. I'm months from retirement and all I am saying is most LTL companies will not hire you out of the box! Nuff said

Good grief you are an ornery one, lol. I hope you enjoy a long and healthy retirement and be nice to the waitresses! ;-)

Let's put it this way....you aren't ready for P&D at any company. cripes. get real please. get some experience going over the road. If anyone hires you to do P&D....I will :438:
Not sure where you are. But at our Barn, we had a Dockworker who went to school and was hired as a combo driver. He turn out great. He was a hard working. And the guy could drive. We have another Dockworker who was move to the c truck. He is now waiting for A school date. And R&L is picking up the tap. One thing R&L does is they never make it a company-wide program.

One thing everyone was correct about. P&D is not for everyone. Most guys need road time. If R&L does give you a shot. FexEx and Old Dominion have driver programs. You get hired as a Dockworker. And apply for driver training. If you have a CDL you stand a good chance of being hired. I believe AAA Coopper has one also.

If this guy needs coddling he has come to the wrong company. Sure some of the R+L terminals have it made. way northeast southwest and others just don't have enough freight to generate enough negativity to worry about. But the larger terminals like Atlanta, Dallas especially, maybe Wilmington and others just are not loyal to the employees and actually create a very negative atmosphere. I am from Dallas. This terminal always has been, is, and will be out of control. I have never not known more drivers at a terminal than I don't know here. Our turnover is outrageous for a company paying 27.50 and hour with nice trucks. The upper level management does not communicate. They are not respected because they show none. Maybe this guy will find a nice sweet terminal where there are no complaints. It might happen. But from my experience....when someone asks me about R+L I tell them emphatically.....do not come here...go to saia, southeastern or fedex. even old dominion. I've been around the industry as a fleet owner.... an owner op and a company driver for 45 years....I retired from the teamsters in 06 and only do this because I want to. Not because I have to. Sure they have treated me ok but I bust my frkn butt. Doesn't mean squat. I never complain....ever...but inevitably this place finds a way to screw with you. It's how R+L rolls. I suggest otr for a year. Then come calling...just not here. you can do better....good luck....sorry if I slapped you when you needed coddling.

If this guy needs coddling he has come to the wrong company. Sure some of the R+L terminals have it made. way northeast southwest and others just don't have enough freight to generate enough negativity to worry about. But the larger terminals like Atlanta, Dallas especially, maybe Wilmington and others just are not loyal to the employees and actually create a very negative atmosphere. I am from Dallas. This terminal always has been, is, and will be out of control. I have never not known more drivers at a terminal than I don't know here. Our turnover is outrageous for a company paying 27.50 and hour with nice trucks. The upper level management does not communicate. They are not respected because they show none. Maybe this guy will find a nice sweet terminal where there are no complaints. It might happen. But from my experience....when someone asks me about R+L I tell them emphatically.....do not come here...go to saia, southeastern or fedex. even old dominion. I've been around the industry as a fleet owner.... an owner op and a company driver for 45 years....I retired from the teamsters in 06 and only do this because I want to. Not because I have to. Sure they have treated me ok but I bust my frkn butt. Doesn't mean squat. I never complain....ever...but inevitably this place finds a way to screw with you. It's how R+L rolls. I suggest otr for a year. Then come calling...just not here. you can do better....good luck....sorry if I slapped you when you needed coddling.

Thank you. I appreciate your insight and advice.

What can a new driver fresh out of CDL school expect for training if hired at R+L Carriers? If hired as a Combo driver, how might my 60-70 hour week look (especially 'worst case scenario'). Thank you.
One last thing. R&L line haul pay is a trip rate about 48 cents per mile. All the rest minimum 60 per and most are up around 66. The guy I use to share trucks with ran San Antonio with a 5 pm cut time and often times he was still waiting at 9pm. That being said

Doing P & D will take a serious toll on your health. Broken bones, constant back pain, more ways to be injured than driving terminal to terminal. How about that 900 lb fridge on the back of a 1000lb weight limit lift gate? Not to mention 2 wheeling it up a winding drive that calls for inside delivery in the basement. Or my favorite. A delivery or pick up of 80 cases of office supplies double parked downtown, going to the 17th floor with 5 cases at a time in the elevator, passenger, not freight. Got the picture? Oh yea, after 20 or 30 years of P& D if you make it, can you still walk or play tennis? Just saying. von.

How about that 900 lb fridge on the back of a 1000lb weight limit lift gate? Not to mention 2 wheeling it up a winding drive that calls for inside delivery in the basement.
1000 lbs weight limit liftgate? LOL , My new all aluminum gate has a max weight of 3000 lbs. A refrigerator stays on a pallet and at best will get delivered to your garage. We aren't a moving service, you want it in the basement, you better start thinking of a way to get it down there. That said, inside delivery is inside the doorway, out of the elements and that's only if it doesn't need to be broken down to get it inside. Sounds like you've been doing too much or your a linehaul driver that's never done it to begin with.

1000 lbs weight limit liftgate? LOL , My new all aluminum gate has a max weight of 3000 lbs. A refrigerator stays on a pallet and at best will get delivered to your garage. We aren't a moving service, you want it in the basement, you better start thinking of a way to get it down there. That said, inside delivery is inside the doorway, out of the elements and that's only if it doesn't need to be broken down to get it inside. Sounds like you've been doing too much or your a linehaul driver that's never done it to begin with.

ABF used to have broken welds on the lift gate that put them out of service for days. 1500 max limit on the smallest lift plate on a 20' box truck with a Japanese frame & motor. Half the time oversize freight hung off the end or sides putting the driver & freight @ risk. And some was damaged because of the above mentioned. If you look @ the trailers R & L have they are top of the line lift gates rated @ 3500 pounds.18 years & about 17 years 9 months I worked second shift with 90% being drop & hook. Yea, I did inside, lift gate, 15 floors up, chain & clamp pull off the skid, & other weird deliveries. My first 2 years were mainly working a customers dock count, stack, & wrap & load the product. After they hired a few after me I had the bid I wanted. The 7 & 8 am bid drivers ended up with the tough specialty deliveries. But, it takes just one delivery to injure you & cause you pain & suffering the rest of your life. Trucking is the 7th most deadly way to die in the workplace. And doing LTL deliveries in many different ways will increase the chance of injury or death. von.