FedEx Freight | R9145 - Super Single drive tires

roogie

TB Veteran
Credits
This is a brand new one dropped off just a few days ago, first one I've seen with Super Single drive tires.

-update-
Monday we got 3 more with SS drives.

roog

R9145.jpg

R9145_tire.jpg

R9145_tread.jpg

Saw a 16000 series pup in IND with singles also. Weird thugh since the dollies are coming in with duals......

FM

If ya gotta a flat with those your down until someone shows up, thats for sure. I would think if ya had a blowout with a super single on a dolly there would be a good chance that a wake up Leroy would be next.

fr8rookie said:
If ya gotta a flat with those your down until someone shows up, thats for sure. I would think if ya had a blowout with a super single on a dolly there would be a good chance that a wake up Leroy would be next.
They have had them blow, even though they claim to be run flat they have shreded the tire nd in some cases the wheel has been destroyed.

FM

The Super Singles we've had in the past are anything but run flat, they are very soft rubber sidewalls.

Most of what I've heard is that a vendor will come out with a pair of regular duals to replace it.

roog

blownsupersingle.jpg

Super singles are ::shit:: on snow,and central forces us too run in bad snow storms,( last year when that ARNOLD driver was killed by the Eldorado driver ) A BUNCH OF US WERE PUT UP IN A MOTEL so before some of you guys start to **** an moan,point is super singles are no good on snow and central dont care.

CORNBINDER said:
Super singles are ::shit:: on snow,and central forces us too run in bad snow storms,( last year when that ARNOLD driver was killed by the Eldorado driver ) A BUNCH OF US WERE PUT UP IN A MOTEL so before some of you guys start to **** an moan,point is super singles are no good on snow and central dont care.

:smilie_132: :smilie_132: we all know you are a fair weather driver :smilie_132: :smilie_132:

Can't see a problem with stopping if you feel it's too bad out, we had a couple drivers returning from IND stop and get a room last winter while a few others continued on, as far as I know none of them caught any greif on their choices, only do what YOU feel is safe, not central or anyone else.

FM

From experience the super single tires ride on top and do not bite into the snow, like duals do. Won't wont to drive a tractor with super single tires. Would be very dangerous

fr8rookie said:

gene tracey nice love that one .. I have acttually had a blowout with a SS dolly tire acctually it just started pulling hard I had like 22000 on the lead and like almost 20000 on the tail ,like I said it just started pulling hard and I noticed sparks and pulled over tire was just shreded they ended up brining me another dolly 3.5 hrs latter had to break set on side of interstate but other than that not much to it but it was a straight stretch of road also....

CORNBINDER said:

It is against The STAA for ANY company to force you to drive in ANY bad weather!.......KK

The ONLY fleets that benifit from running the single tires are the ones that run consistently at gross weight. I do not beleive the tires are in the best interest of our operation and I feel they are dangerous to run, especially on single axle equipment. The driver who said they run on top of snow and do not bite into it for traction is 100 % correct.

Has anyone any knowledge of another single axle operation that runs these tires?

roogie said:
The Super Singles we've had in the past are anything but run flat, they are very soft rubber sidewalls.

Most of what I've heard is that a vendor will come out with a pair of regular duals to replace it.

roog

blownsupersingle.jpg

Hey Roog unless they changed them, they have to change the studs. The studs on the old dollys are to short to just swap them out.

The last we heard out here on the Left Coast was that the Super Singles were being phased out. Now they are putting them on trailers and tractors? I guess they just can't make up their minds. The up side is that, oh, wait, there is no upside. Now, if we get one of the East trailers with Super Singles on it, headed for the Northwest, the freight will have to be swung to a different trailer.