ABF | Rag Tops

If You Have Large Freight That Needs Too Be Removed By Crain The Tarp And Roof Ribs, Come Off So A Crain Can Remove It From Top Of Trailer.

Can you ABF guys tell me what the deal is on some of your trailers with those green tarps on them,and why?

They are older trailers that have been modified to be able to handle ACKWARD freight, the tops can either stretch or be removed as needs dictate

If You Have Large Freight That Needs Too Be Removed By Crain The Tarp And Roof Ribs, Come Off So A Crain Can Remove It From Top Of Trailer.

What part of NEW MEXICO are you from? Probably ROSWELL and you pull ABF's freight with a GREEN space ship. That poor guy just had a simple question for us and you messed up his mind. The correct answer is: most freight companies use roof tarps over the old leaking trailer roofs to keep out mother natures rain drops, snow, ice and spaceships from outer New Mexico!!! :shift::nutkick:

Open Top Trailers

The open top or rag top trailers are not modified trailers. They are built that way. ABF hasn't bought open top trailers in many years. They are expensive to buy & maintain. We don't have many customers that require open top trailers to load their freight. As was stated may times a large object like a machine is too large to load by forklift so a crane is used to load & unload the freight.
The trailer uses roof bows that are put in slots in the sides to support the sides & the tarp rests on the bows.
Tarps are expensive to maintain. Unlike a conventional roof of aluminum they deterioate & must have holes or tears repaired or be replaced when it is no longer feasible to repair.
Removing & replacing the tarp & roof bows is also time consuming.
There were many open top trailers in the fleet years ago but business changes.

You ain't pulled nothing, till you use a 53 foot flatbed reefer with a ragtop, now that is hualing. I hauled pink flamingo's on those, with small staples on their toes. :biglaugh::biglaugh:, Now I am serious.

You probable use a JB Hunt trailer stretcher when the load won't fit too, right !!
I am not a lurker, I protest !!