FedEx Freight | Raise!!!!!

No its called not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

A wage earned for a job done is not a gift horse. Maybe you don't do your job well enough to deserve the wage they pay, but I did.

I have been with Fedex 20+ years, and have loved every minute of it.

That explains a bunch. You might have a different outlook if you were worried about getting 5 days work in, or if you even had a job after the next change.

We're all happy your life is hunky dorry. Don't **** one someone just because they want it better.

I'm betting there has been at least one minute in your 20 glorious years at Fedex that you didn't "love".

Guardrail

It has nothing to do with being in debt and not having enough $$$ to pay for toys. I dont believe for a second that Motley has been here 20 years. If you have been here that long you would notice the stagnant wage. Of course you sound like you would pay them to work here.

Well actually 22 years in August. And believe me I have contact with a lot of drivers. Work is what you make it. How much time if your a driver do you actually see people? You are in your truck by yourself most of the day. Yes I am a City driver. And geez Fark knocker, wages have been stagnent....Duh, he have been in a recession. Most companys have cut wages. but not FedEx. Yes they have reorganized to keep profitable, but you are the type that must never be happy. You could get a 3 dollar raise and by day two of it going into effect, back to bad mouthing the company. You have plenty of options out there if you dont like it here. See how many are better. Try getting involved, do the TDC, win a few times and meet drivers from all over the country. If it was still Viking, I am sure you would be making less right now. And maybe unemployeed. Who knows. We have the backing of FedEx corp now. A company that is very respected and profitable, even though the Freight side hasnt been. Quit being a debbie downer, strap on your boots, and help the company by putting in an honest days work for an honest days pay. Do you really need to be patted on the back each day? Just do your job, collect your paycheck and enjoy your time off. You have a good paying job with benifits, that most would trade you in a second. Look around, good companies are hard to find.

A wage earned for a job done is not a gift horse. Maybe you don't do your job well enough to deserve the wage they pay, but I did.

How much is enough? Tell me? Would love to know when you as a driver would be happy. Without a college degree, this is damn good money. Sorry.

That explains a bunch. You might have a different outlook if you were worried about getting 5 days work in, or if you even had a job after the next change

You chose to be a road driver, the writing on the wall has been there for a few years, do what some have done at my center, go back to city, they are all glad they did. [/B]

I'm betting there has been at least one minute in your 20 glorious

You years at Fedex that you didn't "love".

There have been many times in my 20+ years where I was pissed at things, but not as a whole. I have hated several Supervisors, dispatchers OM's at times. But ya gotta move on, and start your next day positive, and put the past in the past. It will never be like Viking again....Where the Line drivers were spoiled to no end. Those days are gone.

So it hasn't been all roses, huh?

I didn't choose to be a linehaul driver. I am a truck driver. I've always wanted to be a truck driver since I was 5 years old. I was the kid in the back seat trying to get the trucks to honk the horn. I didn't ask mom and dad to drive by the warehouse so I could try to get the forklift drivers to honk at me. Get my point?

I hired on with Fedex National as a road driver, not city. I had no desire to drive in the city. I hate city driving. So you see, I didn't like the way Fedex was changing. I was lucky enough to find something that pays better that I can do with my whole family. (wife and dogs) Others don't have that option. They still want to work for Fedex, they just want it to be more enjoyable.

And don't start that crap about how it is as fun as you make it. That's bull****. Fedex goes out of their way to smack you down if you have too much fun.

motleycrue said:
Well actually 22 years in August. And believe me I have contact with a lot of drivers. Work is what you make it. How much time if your a driver do you actually see people? You are in your truck by yourself most of the day. Yes I am a City driver. And geez Fark knocker, wages have been stagnent....Duh, he have been in a recession. Most companys have cut wages. but not FedEx. Yes they have reorganized to keep profitable, but you are the type that must never be happy. You could get a 3 dollar raise and by day two of it going into effect, back to bad mouthing the company. You have plenty of options out there if you dont like it here. See how many are better. Try getting involved, do the TDC, win a few times and meet drivers from all over the country. If it was still Viking, I am sure you would be making less right now. And maybe unemployeed. Who knows. We have the backing of FedEx corp now. A company that is very respected and profitable, even though the Freight side hasnt been. Quit being a debbie downer, strap on your boots, and help the company by putting in an honest days work for an honest days pay. Do you really need to be patted on the back each day? Just do your job, collect your paycheck and enjoy your time off. You have a good paying job with benifits, that most would trade you in a second. Look around, good companies are hard to find.

Actually I give them exactly what they pay for,and not a hair more. They want to be the premier carrier but they dont want to pay like it.

I give FXF more than they pay me for. And I have never even had a wayward sneeze in my direction. (I have had 2 suspensions for being a moron.) That is after I realized I am just a tool. Best advice to all... Shut Up and drive the truck, and drive the equipment as if your "NAME WAS ON THE DOOR" that is what they pay us for. Isn't it? Enjoy life at the TOP OF THE LTL FOOD CHAIN. OK. When we start performing like OLD DOMINION Drivers. I guess we are entitled to whine like mistreated and abused workers.

Last edited by a moderator:
You chose to be a road driver, the writing on the wall has been there for a few years, do what some have done at my center, go back to city, they are all glad they did. [/B]

While I don't agree with some of your comments, I do agree with the above statement.

Actually I give them exactly what they pay for,and not a hair more. They want to be the premier carrier but they dont want to pay like it.

Again, how much do you need to drive a freaking truck? Its not rocket science....What is a fair wage? Please let me know. If 59 to 61 cents a mile isnt enough, with chaining pay, hooking pay and fueling pay, then you must be a rocket scientist. Do you have a bachelors degree? If you dont, shut up and drive. You are over paid. Enjoy your benifets. Go drive for UPS frieght if you want more. They signed a contract back in 2007, and didnt deserve to get the raises they did during a bad economy. They got lucky. Getting a dollar raise when everybody else is taking a pay cut was a lucky break. Wouldnt have happened had they been going by the actual economy. Jees, some people are never happy.

So it hasn't been all roses, huh?

I didn't choose to be a linehaul driver. I am a truck driver. I've always wanted to be a truck driver since I was 5 years old. I was the kid in the back seat trying to get the trucks to honk the horn. I didn't ask mom and dad to drive by the warehouse so I could try to get the forklift drivers to honk at me. Get my point?

I hired on with Fedex National as a road driver, not city. I had no desire to drive in the city. I hate city driving. So you see, I didn't like the way Fedex was changing. I was lucky enough to find something that pays better that I can do with my whole family. (wife and dogs) Others don't have that option. They still want to work for Fedex, they just want it to be more enjoyable.

And don't start that crap about how it is as fun as you make it. That's bull****. Fedex goes out of their way to smack you down if you have too much fun.

Because you are miserable, doesnt mean all are miserable! I love my job, and enjoy my job. If you dont, thats your fault. Quit trying to make others hate their job like you do. People I hang with love it, if you dont, thats a you problem. Dont blame the company. Leave then and see if another company is better. I doubt it. Your probably just a spoiled old Viking line driver, who has to hook his set now, and is not cottled. Get over yourself. FedEx is the best trucking company going right now. Sorry to rain on your pitty parade.

Actually,OD is the best company going right now. My regional director or whatever his title is says it all the time. Only a purple blooded idiot would think a 1.5 % hourly pay increase followed by a 7.5% rate increase is just fine. Especially when we trail our competitors in hourly pay.

Because you are miserable, doesnt mean all are miserable! I love my job, and enjoy my job. If you dont, thats your fault. Quit trying to make others hate their job like you do. People I hang with love it, if you dont, thats a you problem. Dont blame the company. Leave then and see if another company is better. I doubt it. Your probably just a spoiled old Viking line driver, who has to hook his set now, and is not cottled. Get over yourself. FedEx is the best trucking company going right now. Sorry to rain on your pitty parade.

I did leave and found a better job. You need to pay attention here. You're so worried about stirring the pot, you don't even know what you're talking about.

Oh yeah, WTF does a batchelors degree get you? Nothing! I know plenty of drivers with a piece of paper that says they are educated. Big deal.

You've shown your true colors here. It doesn't matter what someone posts, valid or not, you will disagree just to argue. I don't believe what you post for a minute.

Guardrail

Actually,OD is the best company going right now. My regional director or whatever his title is says it all the time. Only a purple blooded idiot would think a 1.5 % hourly pay increase followed by a 7.5% rate increase is just fine. Especially when we trail our competitors in hourly pay.

OD, makes way less here, sorry. No overtime for hourly until your 60th hour. I can imagine how you would like that. Work you 59 hours a week, at straight time. And their top of scale isnt close to 23.85. Not here. a 600 mile run at OD pays 80,000. at FedEx it is over 100,000. Doesnt sound like better pay to me. I dont see OD giving discounts on my cell phone bill, help me out when I buy a new car. Saved 5000 on my truck using the FedEx name. You need to look at the whole picture. Ask yourself then, If OD is doing so great, which they are.....then why dont they make .65 cents a mile, and 25.00 a hour? Who do we trail in hourly Pay? Not Conway, not YRC, not R AND L. Maybe ABF and UPS frieght. two union companys. Thats all that I can think of. Again how much is enough for you? Buy your own truck and see how profitable it is out there. Margins are tight.

Why is it always about pay? How about a company that values employees for more than the number on their badge? How about a company that I want to go to work at because I enjoy the job I do? How about a company that doesn't brow beat their people into submission because they fear a thinking employee?

I could go on and on. In my opinion, there's more wrong with Fedex than right. Pay is way down on that list.

Will everyone ever be completely satisfied? No, but they are a long way from having even a majority satisfied.

Guardrail

Wow motleycrue you must sure drink alot of purple koolaide or your shirt is really red. Why not get as much pay as we can? Fedex tries to get as much as they can for what they do so why not us. You need to look at yourself as a company and think what would you do as a company. I come to work to make myself money and do a good job. With that being said I want to make as much as I can and dont really care about Fedex, just like they dont really care about me. I am my own company and so is Fedex and at this time we are in a bussiness relationship that is good for both of us, but as in any bussiness relationship each company has to look out for what is best for them.

Again, how much do you need to drive a freaking truck? Its not rocket science....What is a fair wage? Please let me know. If 59 to 61 cents a mile isnt enough, with chaining pay, hooking pay and fueling pay, .

First off I dont get. 59 a mile and am at top scale at my dust bowl in the sticks. But you think we are overpaid well whatever but all the govt regulations now the fingerprinting for hazmat background checks etc etc more and more requirments all the time mean more compensation because if you can obtain all these requirments then you should be compensated accordingly this isnt 1990 anymore where you went and took the test and walla you were hazmat certified now,all these new things coming along put drivers in the money seat,the big problem is drivers sell themselves short these days I should say some drivers do and that is the reason we get treated like we do now!

Wow motleycrue you must sure drink alot of purple koolaide or your shirt is really red. Why not get as much pay as we can? Fedex tries to get as much as they can for what they do so why not us. You need to look at yourself as a company and think what would you do as a company. I come to work to make myself money and do a good job. With that being said I want to make as much as I can and don't really care about Fedex, just like they dont really care about me. I am my own company and so is Fedex and at this time we are in a business relationship that is good for both of us, but as in any business relationship each company has to look out for what is best for them.

Great analogy.

Hopefully there will come a time when the majority of truck drivers will come to grips with what they are actually worth. The ATA and these companies have managed to convince the majority of drivers that they have little are no long term value. Similar to the kid flipping burgers at Mickey Ds and as easily replaceable.

Within the next 12 to 24 months it is going to hit the fan. The HWSA and FMCSA is under pressure from the the Hill and public opinion to reign in us 'killer' truck drivers. Regardless of your opinion on the matter it is going to happen.

Why do think there was the implementation of the CSA...on board recorders...video recording devices...and the BMI mess (which has been tabled for the moment)?

It is coming boys and girls. And when it does this job is going to get worse...much worse. Every dick with a badge is going to be your worst enemy...and what is the current state of affairs regarding the working atmosphere these companies hold over us is going to disappear. They will have no choice.

Wages, benefits, and working conditions will rapidly improve. Irrespective of the ATAs drivel, there is now and will continue to be a shortage of qualified drivers. The key word is 'qualified'. There are thousands of CDL holders who have either moved on to other careers or can't meet the criteria of the CSA and/or the company's minimum standards. Those that can are in short number...and the numbers will continue to decline.

The large OTRs know this and have taken measures to deal with it. Private carriers know it as well.

The LTLs are going to be hit hard. They are aware of the problem as well, but too ignorant and self inflated to give it any due.

The LTL industry has had the sole pleasure of being targeted by thousands of drivers seeking employment. They have always paid more than the OTR companies. And for the most part the benefits have been superior as well. The OTRs took advantage of inexperienced drivers for years..and had a large turnover as a result of their policies. But they didn't care...there were replacements readily available.

The Teamsters and the NMFA forced the non-union companies to pay wages and benefits at or near scale in order to keep the unions at bay. It has worked for decades. There were always drivers looking to get into LTL for the money, benefits, retirement, and home time. The LTL biz never had to worry about finding qualified drivers...the pool was huge.

Then along came the Great Recession. These LTL concerns used it as a bully pulpit to over react...cutting wages...raising insurance co-pays...and gutting retirement plans way more than necessary. The Teasmsters and YRC validated the whole lie thru concessions, lay-offs, and closures. However YRC's problems for out paced the problems brought on by the economy. Nonetheless the LTLs used YRC's problems to qualify the abundant reductions in wages and benefits.

If you don't agree, just look at the top five or six carriers in the country. They are still there...the order may have changed but it is still populated by the same companies as before. And while the employees were taken to the woodshed, the CEOs, officers, and BODs of these companies received enormous bonuses...patting themselves on the back for their collective ingenuity.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost. These LTL companies were holding out for the demise of the unions. They were waiting with baited breath to slash wages and benefits to the bone. With little or no threat from the unions or the NMFA it would have worked.

Then came the Comprehensive Safety Analysis and forever changed the rules. It is an entirely different ball game. Not only are the drivers held to accountability but so are the companies...perhaps even more so. The current practice is to fire people if they incur a serious violation, continuing to believe the pool of potential candidates is huge and bottomless. It isn't.

By dismissing drivers who have had unfortunate events (sometimes due to just plain stupidity) these companies can inform the FMCSA they have taken active steps to rectify the problem, therefore hoping to avoid any intervention issues. They don't want the DOT setting up housekeeping on the premises.

These LTL companies have pissed off a lot of drivers...and have garnered a reputation of one to be avoided if possible. They have continued to use every excuse under the sun to drive down the quality of the working environment and as mentioned, convince the drivers they are just a piece of hardware easily replaced.

All that is about to change and change quickly.

If you have good safety record with the right endorsements and a TWIC card you will be able to name your price. Then we will see who ends up holding the short stick.

I already know.

Be safe

Rat

First off I dont get. 59 a mile and am at top scale at my dust bowl in the sticks. But you think we are overpaid well whatever but all the govt regulations now the fingerprinting for hazmat background checks etc etc more and more requirments all the time mean more compensation because if you can obtain all these requirments then you should be compensated accordingly this isnt 1990 anymore where you went and took the test and walla you were hazmat certified now,all these new things coming along put drivers in the money seat,the big problem is drivers sell themselves short these days I should say some drivers do and that is the reason we get treated like we do now!

Its all relative I guess, Lets see, I made 70,000 last year as a P&D driver. I compare that to Fireman and Policemen in my area, that is more then them. I made more then most of the red shirts at my service center. I have weekends off. Not to bad. Again, when the company starts making money, I say give us bigger raises. But in this ecomony, I am ok with a .50 cent raise. I feel I am well compensated for the job I perform. I will not complain about it one bit. And most at my shop dont either. I see a lot of people with degrees, that either cant find a good job, or make much less. I am sure its different everywhere in the country. I am just saying, its not all bad. Its what you make it. Sure, would I like to get 3000 to 4000 in VEAP bonuses again. Yes that would be great. But its a different time. I cannot speak for anybody else, all my point is, that some of you bash the company you work for to death. I am saying I dont see the same attitudes you are displaying. Its the few, not the majority that are unhappy at my center. And the few that are always complaining, it wouldnt matter if they made 30.00 an hour, they would still complain. I hope I never have to work for another company.

Quit spending your money like a drunken liberal on a gubment grant and life is so much more less stressful.
I really am not fond of the idea that 75 miles from my terminal they make more than I do and 94 miles away they do as well but it is what it is and I appreciate all raises....

Alot of you guys are really spoiled and obviously never had a ****ty job if you think Fedex is one.

Guardrail said:
Why is it always about pay? How about a company that values employees for more than the number on their badge? How about a company that I want to go to work at because I enjoy the job I do? How about a company that doesn't brow beat their people into submission because they fear a thinking employee?

I could go on and on. In my opinion, there's more wrong with Fedex than right. Pay is way down on that list.

Will everyone ever be completely satisfied? No, but they are a long way from having even a majority satisfied.

Guardrail

Exactly! Im talking abou OD kicking tail in the marketplace.