R&L | Raise

The billers are not paid much more over Minimum wage. What do you expect. Those people should get a increase. There doing the best they can just like you. The company can afford to give everyone a increase..

The billers are not paid much more over Minimum wage. What do you expect. Those people should get a increase. There doing the best they can just like you. The company can afford to give everyone a increase..

Yeah, I know. Its just so many mistakes they make. Not all of them but I do see it from the same ones over and over.

Glad to see things may be starting to improve for you guys. We retired jan. 2010, and sort of follow the company and drivers. It has to be difficult at times for all the different stages of drivers to get along. Between the older drivers who knew what the company used to be like before 2009, when things started downhill, to the drivers hired since then who only know the company as it is now and are satisfied with their jobs, and the lower paid combo drivers, it seems to have been a rough 3 years for things to even out. Kudos to all you guys who have hung in there. I know a lot of drivers who retired, changed jobs and left R & L also. We all have to do what we feel is best for our individual circumstance. In our case it was a combination of frustration with working conditions, and age. At some point we all just have had enough. I went on to spend 2 1/2 years as a medical courier before I retired again last January (not by choice). I have said it before, while working at R & L the last year or so was not great, the company was very good to us, and most memories are good. R & L elevated our standard of living, and enabled us to do things we never could have. We will always have the utmost respect for the Roberts family and what working at R & L did for us. We hope all the drivers there will be able to feel this way again. And we hope the drivers that left also have found satisfaction in their new jobs. Be safe out there.

just wondering, I have to say your last post shows how much class you have as an indivdual. I certainly agree with everything you said..I met Larry Roberts senior several times, and he is someone I have always admired. R&L carriers was very good to me for a lot of years.It is a shame in my opinion what has happened to the company. I thought I would retire from there, unfortunately, the company change so much, for the worse, I had no other choice but to leave.I wish R&L carriers all the best, and all the employees that still work there, all the best.

Thanks Richard. I just wish the newer employees had the same company we did. They would then understand why the older employees stay so upset. As to Mr. Roberts senior, it was amazing to me that he seemed to know every employees name. The wife and I would be having lunch in the company cafeteria in Wilmington, and Mr. Roberts would come down just to talk to his employees. He also called us by our first names, and would set and talk like he really cared how you were doing, which he did. His stepping back from running the company was the end of the old R&L.

I am not sure how hard they work the guys at these other terminals but I know here in Dallas they work the crap out of guys. Even at 23.42 per hour we earn every penny and then some. Which apparantly is alot less than other terminals that don't handle half the freight Dallas does. It's a decent job but I don't blame guys for jumping to Saia or Southeastern where they are at 22 plus an hour in less than 2 years. Look at Old Dominion....they start drivers at 22 here in Dallas/Fort Worth.