SAIA | raise

They need to take care of current employees. A driver started 2 months after I did in the city. After 2 months he transferred to linehaul and got to keep his 1 year pay rate while I'm still at .48. I have more experience driving and he had 0 experience with doubles and I have 2 years. But apparently it doesn't matter. Now they have a ad looking for linehaul drivers. 5k sign on and if they have 12 months tractor trailer experience then they qualify for .51 cents a mile pay rate.

They need to take care of current employees. A driver started 2 months after I did in the city. After 2 months he transferred to linehaul and got to keep his 1 year pay rate while I'm still at .48. I have more experience driving and he had 0 experience with doubles and I have 2 years. But apparently it doesn't matter. Now they have a ad looking for linehaul drivers. 5k sign on and if they have 12 months tractor trailer experience then they qualify for .51 cents a mile pay rate.
Things will work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try not to compare yourself with others without knowing everything that's involved...Some drivers lie about their pay just to stir the pot. Do you have verifiable LTL experience? Each case is different but Saia is very fair... The 5K bonus isn't an issue because that wasn't part of your agreement. Send me a PM.

Still wouldn't kill them to look out for a guy who has been with the company for 2 years, rather than look out for a total stranger just walking in off the street.

Still wouldn't kill them to look out for a guy who has been with the company for 2 years, rather than look out for a total stranger just walking in off the street.
He hasn't been with the company 2 years... He has 2 years of double's experience.

Yes I do have ltl experience. Before I came here. I was a city driver for saia 4 years ago. But what does ltl experience have to do with linehaul? I have 9 years driving and he has 4 or 5 years. I don't care about the sign on bonus. I got a 1000 dollar bonus. But why should a new driver make more then a current driver?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I do have ltl experience. Before I came here. I was a city driver for saia 4 years ago. But what does ltl experience have to do with linehaul? I have 9 years driving and he has 4 or 5 years. I don't care about the sign on bonus. I got a 1000 dollar bonus. But why should a new driver make more then a current driver?
I can't speak for HR ... They make those decisions, but you could always call and ask and tell them the situation ... I wouldn't call with an attitude ... Just state your case and see what they say.

I'll save you the trouble...HR will either tell you to stick it or spend 5 minutes filling you with total BS. Either way, you aren't getting any more money

I'll save you the trouble...HR will either tell you to stick it or spend 5 minutes filling you with total BS. Either way, you aren't getting any more money
That's not true .... They look at everything about the employee .... Attendance ... Points ... Attitude ... etc. If you are a good worker and they receive good feedback from their current supervisors you would get more money ... Think what you want ... But those are the facts.

Runaway train... I am intrigued by the sentence that follows all of your posts: anything that holds you back isn't worth defending. I've noticed that often you and I disagree. After thinking about it, it finally occurred to me that a lot of the reasons that I take issue with Saia are because, in my tenure here, I have been held back. I have all the qualifications, safety record, blah blah blah. But yet, the company has consistently ignored me and left me where I'm at simply because I really good at what I do. My stops per hour, tonnage, etc. are off the charts. I have had numerous employee awards for excellence and recognition right from the top of the company. A certain coffee business requests me. And no one that I have seen can replicate my efforts. But, they absolutely refuse to promote from within. I have been told in these words "if you want to move up in the LTL industry, it will have to be somewhere else". Makes 0% sense to me. And that, in and of itself, is my greatest source of frustration, and leads me to ask the questions that many folks won't. I don't have anything to lose...

Runaway train... I am intrigued by the sentence that follows all of your posts: anything that holds you back isn't worth defending. I've noticed that often you and I disagree. After thinking about it, it finally occurred to me that a lot of the reasons that I take issue with Saia are because, in my tenure here, I have been held back. I have all the qualifications, safety record, blah blah blah. But yet, the company has consistently ignored me and left me where I'm at simply because I really good at what I do. My stops per hour, tonnage, etc. are off the charts. I have had numerous employee awards for excellence and recognition right from the top of the company. A certain coffee business requests me. And no one that I have seen can replicate my efforts. But, they absolutely refuse to promote from within. I have been told in these words "if you want to move up in the LTL industry, it will have to be somewhere else". Makes 0% sense to me. And that, in and of itself, is my greatest source of frustration, and leads me to ask the questions that many folks won't. I don't have anything to lose...
There is much more to being a manager than being proficient in the midrange server AS/400 ...... You must have a certain type of character .... Without knowing you I couldn't say why you haven't been promoted .. My signature is "Anything that keeps you from growing is never worth defending." That quote is all encompassing .... I came to that conclusion after I divorced my first wife ... I always defended her right or wrong .... But there came a day when I realized we were no longer good for each other and I made the decision to leave .... I could no longer grow with her ... Without going into great detail without sounding arrogant let me just say this .... Being a manager isn't what its cracked up to be ... I've done a lot in this business and let me say that the best job in this business is being a driver ... Much less stress . Work is doing what you now enjoy for the sake of the future which you clearly see and desire. Drudgery is doing under strain what you don't now enjoy and for no end that you can now appreciate. Be careful what you wish for.

There is much more to being a manager than being proficient in the midrange server AS/400 ...... You must have a certain type of character .... Without knowing you I couldn't say why you haven't been promoted .. My signature is "Anything that keeps you from growing is never worth defending." That quote is all encompassing .... I came to that conclusion after I divorced my first wife ... I always defended her right or wrong .... But there came a day when I realized we were no longer good for each other and I made the decision to leave .... I could no longer grow with her ... Without going into great detail without sounding arrogant let me just say this .... Being a manager isn't what its cracked up to be ... I've done a lot in this business and let me say that the best job in this business is being a driver ... Much less stress . Work is doing what you now enjoy for the sake of the future which you clearly see and desire. Drudgery is doing under strain what you don't now enjoy and for no end that you can now appreciate. Be careful what you wish for.

Managers are a dime a dozen.. Great managers are the ones hard to find... Universities are suffering now with enrollment challenges because the grads aren't getting jobs that they studied years to get.... I don't know this young man you are posting with here, but I don't think he realizes that there is a flip side to the coin.. And I'm not knocking him or saying he's full of crap for wanting to advance, but choose another line of business.. Because this business will chew you up and spit you out and never say it's sorry for doing it..

Managers are a dime a dozen.. Great managers are the ones hard to find... Universities are suffering now with enrollment challenges because the grads aren't getting jobs that they studied years to get.... I don't know this young man you are posting with here, but I don't think he realizes that there is a flip side to the coin.. And I'm not knocking him or saying he's full of crap for wanting to advance, but choose another line of business.. Because this business will chew you up and spit you out and never say it's sorry for doing it..
I'm just glad over the years I kept my CDL and all my endorsements ... I love driving and have never been happier in my life ... I was never chewed up and spit out Loon because I knew when to walk away.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just one of these guys that is never willing to settle. I always want more: responsibility, say, work, etc... I'm pretty driven and focused. I use the term "manager" because at this point, I think I need that title in order for my voice to be heard. It is because my suggestions fall on deaf ears, for years now, that frustrates me. I'm on the front lines everyday, and I think that my opinion should matter. But it doesn't. The worst is the response you don't get. I make a suggestion, and typically the response is "let me check on that and get back to you." Heaven forbid you just give me a straight answer, yes, no, or otherwise. If and when they decide to "get back to me" my phone would never stop from the backlog of questions and suggestions I have made. I was under the impression when I came here that they didn't want robots, so that's my bad on that one. I enjoy being behind the wheel, I guess my heart tells me that I have more to offer than driving.

We all aspire to be better .... To make a difference ... But there comes a time when you must accept the way things are or move on ... Personally I want you to stay because employees like you help make this company better ... Maybe someday they will consider you as a manager ... Maybe not ... My only advice to you is keep doing your job in a professional manner as a driver. Never become cynical or bitter .. I suggest that whatever you do, you do it with all that you have in you. When you are working give the best that is in you, remember that in the last analysis the real satisfactions in life come not from money and things, but in the realization of a job well done. As a part time plumber and carpenter I take pride in everything I do on the side outside of trucking ... Even if its just digging a ditch or laying some flooring for a friend .... There is a difference between a journeyman and a real craftsman ... Just be the best you can be and know that if management never happens for whatever reason it really doesn't matter ... Because you are a real craftsman as a driver. And if some day opportunity comes knocking on your door for you to be a manager then move on if Saia doesn't recognize you skill set .. And do what it takes for you to be happy ... No one can hold that against you. But I hope you stay.