Averitt | Rant !!

I heard that Norcross has posted that any Combo wanting to convert to City or Shuttle to see management.

I hear that going from TL into Shuttle , you must 1st go into Combo, then after 1 year you can apply for a city or shuttle position, WHAT A CROCK!

I was told the next time we renew our CDL we have to have tanker endorsement...are we going to start pulling tankers...
It's not a requirement for AE, but we've been told if our we are going to go in and renew that it would be smart to go ahead and get the endorsement now before it get's tougher to get. There is some legislation up that could make getting the tanker endorsement much more difficult to get. I've heard rumors about the totes eventually requiring the endorsement, rumors though, I've not heard anything definite.

I hear that going from TL into Shuttle , you must 1st go into Combo, then after 1 year you can apply for a city or shuttle position, WHAT A CROCK!
Each service center manager runs his operation a bit different so it depends on what job he tells Cookeville he has open at the time. I will say there are some changes happening as far as the combo, city, shuttle titles, I'm surprised AE would transfer combo's to "city" or "shuttle", but it's happening, many of us, including me thought those positions in city/shuttle would eventually all become combo but I was wrong.

A shuttle position in NOR would more than likely go to a city driver with over 20 years. I think several of them would like to distance themselves from the yellow reject, and the newly promoted mechanic that dispatch them in the city. Our number one combo driver, that runs shuttle, has between 8 and 10 years, and will not have a shot at it.

Unless the policy has changed, if there is an opening and you have the seniority to get it, it is yours. TL to City or Shuttle, no Combo in between.

A shuttle position in NOR would more than likely go to a city driver with over 20 years. I think several of them would like to distance themselves from the yellow reject, and the newly promoted mechanic that dispatch them in the city. Our number one combo driver, that runs shuttle, has between 8 and 10 years, and will not have a shot at it.
Every guy working has his own personal needs and wants, in fact I know there is not a one of our city drivers (35 drivers) that would want to transfer to shuttle just as I know there are combo drivers that dont want to transfer to city or shuttle. Many enjoy the current position they are in such as a 4 am start on the dock so that they can be home in the afternoon for their children, others like the flexibility of being able to switch back and forth between shuttle and city positions or dock. As a prior truckload driver I didnt want the dreaded combo, but once I took the position I regret not doing so sooner.

Unless the policy has changed, if there is an opening and you have the seniority to get it, it is yours. TL to City or Shuttle, no Combo in between.
CM is exactly right on this. If the position is opened (and this is done by Corp.) you can come from ANY classification right in to Shuttle - - Seniority and current job performance being deciding factors.

The tanker endorsement is required because of many shippers using liquid tote containers. We do have customers that ship complete loads of chemicals in totes. these loads require special emphisis on load placement in the trailer, along with blocking and bracing. As far as pulling tankers....Avrt does not have the proper tractors to pull tankers, along with the kind of drivers with the required SKILLS!
Another thing you MUST know when hauling 110 Gallon capacity or larger totes; you are required by law to fly NUMBER placards when hauling loaded totes of any amount of HazMat. Even empty totes require number placards UNLESS there is certification that that they have been properly purged and cleaned. Regular Class 8 Corrosive or Class 3 Flammable are NOT acceptable for these commodities.

Pictured below are 2 examples of these totes which I see on a daily basis coming across our dock.

275-gallon-ibc-sm15275.jpg

gallon350.jpg

Each service center manager runs his operation a bit different so it depends on what job he tells Cookeville he has open at the time.
The Terminal Manager can suggest but corp. has the final say in how many of each classification each terminal has. Manager cannot just up and say that he wants 15 Shuttle Driver board if he is currently sitting on 13. Central Dispatch is the controlling factor. Any increases have to be requested by the terminal manager to the regional manager and then in turn he puts it before Central Dispatch for the final say. The managers cannot add or subtract classifications willy-nilly. Does not happen.

Another thing you MUST know when hauling 110 Gallon capacity or larger totes; you are required by law to fly NUMBER placards when hauling loaded totes of any amount of HazMat. Even empty totes require number placards UNLESS there is certification that that they have been properly purged and cleaned. Regular Class 8 Corrosive or Class 3 Flammable are NOT acceptable for these commodities.

Pictured below are 2 examples of these totes which I see on a daily basis coming across our dock.

275-gallon-ibc-sm15275.jpg

gallon350.jpg

You are correct.....the driver is liable to ensure that these are loaded and braced properly. We have had sleeper shuttle drivers pick tote loads off the ORL yard, and did not make sure they were braced and loaded properly, along with them not scaling/axleing the load out.....got to the GA sale and paid the price in fines!

Regarding tote tanks, this is from AE SOP FAQ's

Q: Does a portable tank or “tote” need ID number placards to match the labels on the tank?

A: If the tank contains hazardous materials the trailer must be placarded on all four sides with the correct ID number placard. Even if the tank is empty but still contains residue and has hazardous materials labels (required on two opposing sides) then the trailer must be placarded with four ID# placards. The “1000 lb. rule” does not apply to tote tanks. Any tote labeled for hazardous materials must be placarded with ID# placards regardless of weight.

Regarding tote tanks, this is from AE SOP FAQ's

Q: Does a portable tank or “tote” need ID number placards to match the labels on the tank?

A: If the tank contains hazardous materials the trailer must be placarded on all four sides with the correct ID number placard. Even if the tank is empty but still contains residue and has hazardous materials labels (required on two opposing sides) then the trailer must be placarded with four ID# placards. The “1000 lb. rule” does not apply to tote tanks. Any tote labeled for hazardous materials must be placarded with ID# placards regardless of weight.

Again you are correct and those totes must be blocked and braced properly!......The driver is respondsiable....even if it is a sealed preload.....

I agree our Combo's have more flexibility to switch between days and nights, and I love that option. But I would never go from Shuttle pay to Combo pay for that benefit alone.

I agree our Combo's have more flexibility to switch between days and nights, and I love that option. But I would never go from Shuttle pay to Combo pay for that benefit alone.
4 1/2 cpm is a significant difference yes. One advantage the combo's do have besides the flexibility to move sections and shifts, is if they choose to jump on a forklift and break freight for a while or bid a dock/shuttle flex bid for 6 months, it's at regular city pay just as if they are driving city vs taking the loss and going to dock pay. Many choose their bids according to their family needs, it's a great tool to have for flexibility.

If you are running mileage, no matter what the classification, all mileage pay should be the same, be it Shuttle, TL, Combo, Dedicated, whatever. The disparity in the pay causes big rift between the employees as far as jealousy factor.

If a Combo driver chases me for 500 miles a night, he makes $22.50 less than me. IT IS TOTALLY UNFAIR ON SO MANY LEVELS.

But unassigned doesn't work in every region. Our number 1 U/A has fallen to the bottom and even Combo at times. Right now the #10 guy holds that spot. It is too risky, not uncommon for him to go home without a run.

Seniority rank runs. If there are no extra runs, I bump bottom seniority man who has a bid run. U/A is ALSO a bid run. This according to the grand poobah, Mike F.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4