Yellow | RDWY doing some "spring cleaning"

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
Heard today that RDWY did some house cleaning this past week and let some more supervisors go. According to the "rumor mill" it was in the Human Resources department, and more than a hundred people were involved. I can't verify that number, but It may be associated with the recent agreement YRC made with Taleo Corporation. Has anyone else heard this?? I know our HR manager left today for a job with YRC and their workmans comp. division. DS.

I haven't heard that yet. I was told in Sacramento by one of their drivers that the management is trying to do some spring cleaning on their drivers. He told me they want to get rid of some "deadwood". Any grounds for termination will be sought.

IR CookieMonster said:
I haven't heard that yet. I was told in Sacramento by one of their drivers that the management is trying to do some spring cleaning on their drivers. He told me they want to get rid of some "deadwood". Any grounds for termination will be sought.
OK....since you mentioned it... I have read somewhere that a driver can start drawing his pension, if he has the age+years and still drive full time with his seniority? Do you, or anybody else know this as fact? During our COO down here the number one man interested in the change had a hire date of 1950 something. On the old boards someone posted that he could draw his pension, social security and still use his seniority and number as the number one dog?!? Is this true? DS.

Docksteward said:
Heard today that RDWY did some house cleaning this past week and let some more supervisors go. According to the "rumor mill" it was in the Human Resources department, and more than a hundred people were involved. I can't verify that number, but It may be associated with the recent agreement YRC made with Taleo Corporation. Has anyone else heard this?? I know our HR manager left today for a job with YRC and their workmans comp. division. DS.

Funny you should mention this, 6 sups fired today i think more to come. Kinda scary and guess what we are switching the docks back
going to try nothing but canada and city on one dock then everything else on other dock.
ughhhh frustration is building.:duh: :duh: :duh: :holysheep:

So get rid of the HR people and replace them with discompassionate software !

Who are they going to check up on ? We can see the 'why' in the second paragraph here but what does a negative result mean to the employee? Re-programming or dissmisal.? What will be the right or wrong answers? I wonder if the Union will stop such an infringment if they target Union employees?

***"We plan to conduct nearly 20,000 background checks this year alone," said Mike Hofer, HR Project Manager, YRC. "With this level of volume, we need a solution with scope and speed from a provider who passes the cost- savings generated by efficiencies to customers."***

What is the above bolded remark supposed to say?

Cost savings generated by efficiencies to customers? What the frig does this mean?

mitigate corporate threats such as workplace violence, internal theft & fraud, (Ok so you have a potential hire and they have done time for thefts and/or assaults then you may want to re-consider just who you are hiring.)

and poor employee selection.

As for the above none of us were in this category when we were hired on. They just lose our interest after years of lies, deceit and threats of dismissal etc., for not wanting to violate the law or Collective Agreement.

What ever happened to AI-EEFB?

Docksteward said:
OK....since you mentioned it... I have read somewhere that a driver can start drawing his pension, if he has the age+years and still drive full time with his seniority? Do you, or anybody else know this as fact? During our COO down here the number one man interested in the change had a hire date of 1950 something. On the old boards someone posted that he could draw his pension, social security and still use his seniority and number as the number one dog?!? Is this true? DS.
They caqn work 40 hrs a month as a casual.This is in southern conference.

loner said:
They caqn work 40 hrs a month as a casual.This is in southern conference.
Same thing in New Yawk. 40 hours @ 25mph average or 1000 miles a month. Ya won't see me doin it, don't even know if I'll renew my cdl when the time comes. I read the definition of retirement and it doesn't say anything about working casual.:chairshot:

TheBigR said:
Same thing in New Yawk. 40 hours @ 25mph average or 1000 miles a month. Ya won't see me doin it, don't even know if I'll renew my cdl when the time comes. I read the definition of retirement and it doesn't say anything about working casual.:chairshot:
I think down here in Pa, they can work maybe once a week as casual, but not sure. (those that are retired)

If I needed the extra money, I'd go work at a golf course part time. Extra cash and free golf, leaving the dream baby!

Canadian said:
So get rid of the HR people and replace them with discompassionate software !

Who are they going to check up on ? We can see the 'why' in the second paragraph here but what does a negative result mean to the employee? Re-programming or dissmisal.? What will be the right or wrong answers? I wonder if the Union will stop such an infringment if they target Union employees?

***"We plan to conduct nearly 20,000 background checks this year alone," said Mike Hofer, HR Project Manager, YRC. "With this level of volume, we need a solution with scope and speed from a provider who passes the cost- savings generated by efficiencies to customers."***

What is the above bolded remark supposed to say?

Cost savings generated by efficiencies to customers? What the frig does this mean?

mitigate corporate threats such as workplace violence, internal theft & fraud, (Ok so you have a potential hire and they have done time for thefts and/or assaults then you may want to re-consider just who you are hiring.)

and poor employee selection.

As for the above none of us were in this category when we were hired on. They just lose our interest after years of lies, deceit and threats of dismissal etc., for not wanting to violate the law or Collective Agreement.

What ever happened to AI-EEFB?
They are going to have tons of fun doing backgrounds on 80% of the people getting into this business. Good, Quality blue collar workers are getting harder and harder to find.
And as for "Poor Employee selection" again I refer everyone to Artlcle 20 of the N.M.F.A.
Attention Management, READ IT BEFORE YOU COME AFTER ME!!!! Because it's going to cost you big!!!
Leave us alone and let us do our damn jobs!
Simple enough!

Talked with a close friend that works at the AGO and she stated that they did indeed lay off some employees. She thinks the total was was about 20 to 30 but she was not sure. There are a number of others that have turned in their notice to quit or retire. She said that they did get rid of some deadwood but they also took some good dedicated workers to the door. Sad thing is that there are a few people there that members in their own department don't know what they do and are wondering why are they still there. Great for moral.

Heard the same went on in KC and at USF. There are comments on the Yellow board regarding what went on there.

Racer said:
Talked with a close friend that works at the AGO and she stated that they did indeed lay off some employees. She thinks the total was was about 20 to 30 but she was not sure. There are a number of others that have turned in their notice to quit or retire. She said that they did get rid of some deadwood but they also took some good dedicated workers to the door. Sad thing is that there are a few people there that members in their own department don't know what they do and are wondering why are they still there. Great for moral.

Heard the same went on in KC and at USF. There are comments on the Yellow board regarding what went on there.

Welcome to the boards Racer. I'm glad to see you found us here. Yeah I had several friends tell me the same thing about AGO. Especially in payroll dept. The one had to work out of Kansas City every other week. That's a very hard thing to do with a family. She just quit and got a job that pays half as much and wish she did a year ago.

So what I gather from these posts..... RDWY is going through some more synergies?!? Cutting upper management and forcing their underlings to make up the difference.:chairshot: What I have seen locally, this saves the $$, but cost more in the long run. Inefficiencies and poor decision making screw the whole system up. As far as EEFB, AI etc.........We as workers can only do what we do. It doesn't matter what you do, drive, work the dock, work in the office, mechanic, clean the dock.........everyone can only do their job. It's management that gets the freight, decides what terminals to run said freight through, dispatches the driver on time to the right terminal, etc. There's only so much we, as workers, can do. BUT this forum does allow us to vent our anger and dissapointment and try to share "better way to do it" ideas, that someone in upper management may read. Keep it up guys!!:bgroovy: DS.

Docksteward said:
So what I gather from these posts..... RDWY is going through some more synergies?!? Cutting upper management and forcing their underlings to make up the difference.:chairshot: What I have seen locally, this saves the $$, but cost more in the long run. Inefficiencies and poor decision making screw the whole system up. As far as EEFB, AI etc.........We as workers can only do what we do. It doesn't matter what you do, drive, work the dock, work in the office, mechanic, clean the dock.........everyone can only do their job. It's management that gets the freight, decides what terminals to run said freight through, dispatches the driver on time to the right terminal, etc. There's only so much we, as workers, can do. BUT this forum does allow us to vent our anger and dissapointment and try to share "better way to do it" ideas, that someone in upper management may read. Keep it up guys!!:bgroovy: DS.

David Co0p@#$%@, Ph.D.http://www.ovationnet.com/about.htm
this guy when he first started this was bragging about alcoa but we all know what alcoa is threatening its workers with parttime casual help and layoffs if they do not except there bargaining... and they say they have saved enough materail to sustain a long dispute( this program is a wolf in sheeps clothing) and whats your favorite color. have a beer talk to us and tell us whats going on and another and another this whole program was:duh: a line of bullsh#@4 from the start imagine being gulable and actual beleiving this stuff then show up for work and get canned for the sake of the company survival.:duh:

Chicago Roadway said:
David Co0p@#$%@, Ph.D.http://www.ovationnet.com/about.htm
this guy when he first started this was bragging about alcoa but we all know what alcoa is threatening its workers with parttime casual help and layoffs if they do not except there bargaining... and they say they have saved enough materail to sustain a long dispute( this program is a wolf in sheeps clothing) and whats your favorite color. have a beer talk to us and tell us whats going on and another and another this whole program was a line of bullsh#@4 from the start imagine being gulable and actual beleiving this stuff then show up for work and get canned for the sake of the company survival.
Very well stated, there CR. The whole program was bull!! In theory, it is what every worker that cares about his or her job wants, employee-employer cooperation. But instead it was used to divide the workforce and find falts in the workers. RDWY spent tons of $$ for this stuff. They paid to have a group of about 10-15 employees to fly from 671 to Atlanta for a 3 day AI meeting?!?:duh: A fellow steward put it the best........"when you pay a person for their labor, but have them do something else.......the company isn't getting their $$'s worth". RDWY paid every person that attended those meetings full wages, health-welfare, plus food and lodging. Not to mention a bunch of beer........Never give a Teamster free bar tab, they will drink you dry!!!:bgroovy: DS.

:moon2: AI= :BS:
Has anything positive come out of it? Thats actually a question, since I never attend such things, not that I really wanna go, just seems that the :moon2: kissers are the ones that always get asked.

Docksteward said:
So what I gather from these posts..... RDWY is going through some more synergies?!? Cutting upper management and forcing their underlings to make up the difference.:chairshot: What I have seen locally, this saves the $$, but cost more in the long run. Inefficiencies and poor decision making screw the whole system up. As far as EEFB, AI etc.........We as workers can only do what we do. It doesn't matter what you do, drive, work the dock, work in the office, mechanic, clean the dock.........everyone can only do their job. It's management that gets the freight, decides what terminals to run said freight through, dispatches the driver on time to the right terminal, etc. There's only so much we, as workers, can do. BUT this forum does allow us to vent our anger and dissapointment and try to share "better way to do it" ideas, that someone in upper management may read. Keep up up guys!!:bgroovy: DS.
Try getting someone on the phone when your out on the road. Takes 20mins. to get the 2 people working behind the desk to answer. Thanks to the cut backs of quality personal. Then they fight you when you tell them they owe you .4 for waiting for them to answer.