Estes | Re-Bids and Runs

MTHelmet

TB Lurker
Credits
Just read about La Mirada terminal doing re-bids, but the bids turned out to be "no times set" and that ALL drivers were put "on call". Trying to get a confirmation on this. Supposedly about 80 drivers!

Hopefully know more tonite. If true, this is a tell tale way of getting rid of senior drivers and top pay.

I haven't heard that happening here, but is this just a trend out west or is it happening here and up in northeast?

Am hearing that the on call times are for p&d, but are there 80 P&D's in La Mirada?

Anyone have the straight skinny on this so were not rumor milling?

Am hearing that the on call times are for p&d, but are there 80 P&D's in La Mirada?

Anyone have the straight skinny on this so were not rumor milling?

"Re-bidding" at Estes ... that is not allowed according to their by-laws. They do not agree to those principles. Whoevers idea that was is bucking for an a** full of trouble.

ohhhhhhh I better be careful. Don't want an a** full of trouble. That sounds scary. Them corporate guys are more intimidating then Tony Semprano. uhh ohh too late I got a puddle of urine under my computer chair.

ohhhhhhh I better be careful. Don't want an a** full of trouble. That sounds scary. Them corporate guys are more intimidating then Tony Semprano. uhh ohh too late I got a puddle of urine under my computer chair.

I was just telling you from a first hand experience. I could care less that you wet yourself. You talk big stuff now but I am willing to bet that you will lick the sweat of Rob E's balls if given the chance.

I am telling you from a first hand experience. You talk big here but I bet you :butt kiss: when Rob shows up.

I fawn all over him. He is the man. Iv'e got a copy of the Estonian with his signature framed and mounted over my mantle. I throw my panties at him when he is on stage. I started a fan club in his honor . And god forbid when he is no longer with us, I will personally conduct a candel light vigil every year in downtown Richmond.

The West voted it in annual bids. So just like everyone else you vote every year then revote if changes happen enough to have a rebid. The East has no rebids cuz they have lifetime bids

The West voted it in annual bids. So just like everyone else you vote every year then revote if changes happen enough to have a rebid. The East has no rebids cuz they have lifetime bids

you are correct sir. and i just cant wait till someone transfers in with more company time then some people on the board and the guy that transfered in get their run after the re-bid...

OMG the crying that will happen

i never could see what the problem with the lifetime bids was, well other than it is Estes way, not G.I. way. so now we have the "BEST" of both worlds. company seniority with annual bid, WHAT a great idea!!!!! so every year we get to re-bid and if someone transfers in, and is there for 90 days, he gets to bid like he has been there for how many ever years he has worked for the company in that position.

smooth move G.I. guys :biglaugh:

you are correct sir. and i just cant wait till someone transfers in with more company time then some people on the board and the guy that transfered in get their run after the re-bid...

OMG the crying that will happen

i never could see what the problem with the lifetime bids was, well other than it is Estes way, not G.I. way. so now we have the "BEST" of both worlds. company seniority with annual bid, WHAT a great idea!!!!! so every year we get to re-bid and if someone transfers in, and is there for 90 days, he gets to bid like he has been there for how many ever years he has worked for the company in that position.

smooth move G.I. guys :biglaugh:

Jim Bob you are a treasure trove of wisdom! I marvel in your brilliance. Use some common sense for gods sake. You plop your *** into a life time bid and your'e stuck there. FOREVER!! Or untill another run is available. Which may be NEVER!! One day your run gets cancelled FOREVER. Guess what? You find yourself at the bottom of the extra board FOREVER or untill another run becomes available. Which may be NEVER!!! If you don't believe me just ask the Fresno Ca. driver with all the senority about his run. Luckily we have annual bidding and he will be able to bump some one with less senority when bid time comes around again. Life time bids protect guys like you with no senority. Peoples lives change through the course of their careers. You need to make more money later in life or less money later in life for one reason or another. You need more home time cause your kids are getting at that rebellious age. Or you need to spend more time with your wife. Your parents might need some help in their older age. I think you see my point. And my point is. Who in their right mind would want to be limited to a life time bid!!!!!!!! Except a new hire.

Jim Bob you are a treasure trove of wisdom! I marvel in your brilliance. Use some common sense for gods sake. You plop your *** into a life time bid and your'e stuck there. FOREVER!! Or untill another run is available. Which may be NEVER!! One day your run gets cancelled FOREVER. Guess what? You find yourself at the bottom of the extra board FOREVER or untill another run becomes available. Which may be NEVER!!! If you don't believe me just ask the Fresno Ca. driver with all the senority about his run. Luckily we have annual bidding and he will be able to bump some one with less senority when bid time comes around again. Life time bids protect guys like you with no senority. Peoples lives change through the course of their careers. You need to make more money later in life or less money later in life for one reason or another. You need more home time cause your kids are getting at that rebellious age. Or you need to spend more time with your wife. Your parents might need some help in their older age. I think you see my point. And my point is. Who in their right mind would want to be limited to a life time bid!!!!!!!! Except a new hire.
As usual Elvis, you got it right. I know out here we all think the annual rebids are the right thing. As you infer, why commit yourself to a lifetime of the same thing and then lose your seniority if your run is cancelled. Sounds more to me of bash the ex-Gi's than using common sense and seeing the light!

Well, I'm not here to "bash the ex- G.I.'s" here. Just a driver from back east who signed on with this company 8 years ago, and for the most part, am darn glad that I did. We had a company wide vote a few years back (I just don't remember when anymore) about rebidding every year, and the vote from what I remember wasn't close. One of the reasons why I signed on here was the fact that a bid CAN BE a lifetime bid. I for one am not interested in bumping or being bumped. One of the main reasons why I prefer it this way is just from a personal budgetary viewpoint. This way, I have a real good idea not just for this year, but for years in the future how much money I can expext to bring home every week. Of course, if my run should happen to get cancelled, the budget might get clobbered, and I'm back to square one. That's a chance I am willing to take, based on freight levels, and the economy in general. When the run I am now on was posted, I debated long and hard about whether or not I should take it, based on the fact that I might be on it for a long time. This is something that everybody should do. That is, look at as many different possibilities and scenarios as you can think of before signing on the bid. Yes, as mentioned, things change. Situations at home change, and sometimes runs are cancelled. That's a risk I decided was worth taking when I signed on here. You guys out west weren't given the same opportunity to look things over before signing on, because you signed on with a different company. Totally different circumstances than what I have dealt with. If you guys out west want to rebid every year, and the company approves it also, then by all means, go for it. If the entire company decides to go that route in the future, well then I'll just have to adapt. It's been done before, and I'm sure it will be done again in the future! In the meantime, just because I prefer the lifetime bid system, doesn't make me a bad person, or doesn't make you a bad person for preferring the opposite. Either way, for someone like me, I'll probably make out OK. The new guys might not like the rebid idea, but they would just have to adapt, the same as I would.

PS- Everybody be careful out there tonight! Bad weather all over the east tonight. Should be fun.

Well, I'm not here to "bash the ex- G.I.'s" here. Just a driver from back east who signed on with this company 8 years ago, and for the most part, am darn glad that I did. We had a company wide vote a few years back (I just don't remember when anymore) about rebidding every year, and the vote from what I remember wasn't close. One of the reasons why I signed on here was the fact that a bid CAN BE a lifetime bid. I for one am not interested in bumping or being bumped. One of the main reasons why I prefer it this way is just from a personal budgetary viewpoint. This way, I have a real good idea not just for this year, but for years in the future how much money I can expext to bring home every week. Of course, if my run should happen to get cancelled, the budget might get clobbered, and I'm back to square one. That's a chance I am willing to take, based on freight levels, and the economy in general. When the run I am now on was posted, I debated long and hard about whether or not I should take it, based on the fact that I might be on it for a long time. This is something that everybody should do. That is, look at as many different possibilities and scenarios as you can think of before signing on the bid. Yes, as mentioned, things change. Situations at home change, and sometimes runs are cancelled. That's a risk I decided was worth taking when I signed on here. You guys out west weren't given the same opportunity to look things over before signing on, because you signed on with a different company. Totally different circumstances than what I have dealt with. If you guys out west want to rebid every year, and the company approves it also, then by all means, go for it. If the entire company decides to go that route in the future, well then I'll just have to adapt. It's been done before, and I'm sure it will be done again in the future! In the meantime, just because I prefer the lifetime bid system, doesn't make me a bad person, or doesn't make you a bad person for preferring the opposite. Either way, for someone like me, I'll probably make out OK. The new guys might not like the rebid idea, but they would just have to adapt, the same as I would.

PS- Everybody be careful out there tonight! Bad weather all over the east tonight. Should be fun.
Good to hear from you. I'm glad it works for you and the west guys like their system. You put the case right. We all have to adapt to different scenarios in life and what works for me may not work for others. Your happy and that is what counts. I do believe if the west wants it that way and can keep it, good for them. If the east wants their system, then good for them. I do believe the system can work both ways and hope Richmond can see that differences can be overcome and worked with.

You posted a great rebuttal and it's great to see this kind of dialogue. Hope to hear again from you soon. You also be safe and get home every night.

if a run is posted, you usually atleast ask the dispatcher that will be on duty at cut time. if its a shaky run then he will know, if you take it then its a roll of the dice. some guys will take a risky run with high miles only to be cancelled later and then want a rebid to bump off a guy that took a smaller run because it was dependable. this just seems greedy to me, but i do see both sides to the arguement....

some say you lose senority when your run gets cancelled, you dont. this is just the guy that is affraid of losing his run with no idea when he can screw the next guy out of that run and put him out 5 days a week....lol fellow friendly drivers at work :hysterical:

typically when a guy does get his run cancelled he has plenty of senority to get a run next time one is posted. which usually isnt that far away

i too marvel at your ignorance :D

it isnt a lifetime bid. you can give it up anytime you wish. however if you lose your " lifetime" bid for what ever reason, I DO NOT have to worry that you or anyone else can take MY run away from me!!!

oh and BTW who cares if i am a new hire or not?? doesnt EVERYONE want job security?? run security?? doesnt everyone want to know that when they come to work that they will be on the run that THEY chose?? doesnt everyone want to know that when someone transfers in from a different terminal that they will get to keep the run that THEY chose???

well with annual bids and COMPANY senority YOU DO NOT HAVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you get the picture yet?????

terminal senority and annual bids work GREAT!!

company senority with so called " lifetime " bids work GREAT!!

Company senority and ANNUAL bids is the fastest way to cause problems : I.E. your fresno guy has all the serority to get what run he wants, so will say 30 years exp. in linehaul with the company. well lets say someone transfers in from Georgia with 30 years and 1 month exp. in linehaul. and he transfers in on July 4. re-bids come out in January. so guess what??? that guy from Georgia gets what ever bid he wants, ABOVE your fresno guy.

now let me make your next comment. the west goes by terminal senority. WRONG!!!!! call the TM in Las Vegas and ask how it is done. call the TM in Salt Lake City and ask how it is done. and the best one yet call the NEW president of operations at Estes West Pat R. and HE will tell you how it is done. and before you write some dribble about how you KNOW it is done. CALL THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cuse I DO KNOW HOW IT IS DONE!!!

I totally agree with Elvis. Company senority should mean something other then a pay check. The only one a life time bid protects is somebody with less senority (time with the company).

I would also go as far to say if your run was done away with all together then you should be able to bump into another bid that you could hold based on your COMPANY SENORITY, AND NOT BE FORCED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE EXTRA BOARD. Company senority should always come first.

I guess that is why I choose to not work at a company like this that does not respect your length of service to them. ( as in SENORITY)!!

Jim Bob I noticed that you are afraid to list your location!! Must not have much senority or hate people that do!!

I totally agree with Elvis. Company senority should mean something other then a pay check. The only one a life time bid protects is somebody with less senority (time with the company).

I would also go as far to say if your run was done away with all together then you should be able to bump into another bid that you could hold based on your COMPANY SENORITY, AND NOT BE FORCED TO THE BOTTOM OF THE EXTRA BOARD. Company senority should always come first.

I guess that is why I choose to not work at a company like this that does not respect your length of service to them. ( as in SENORITY)!!

Jim Bob I noticed that you are afraid to list your location!! Must not have much senority or hate people that do!!
You're in the majority jj. We're used to the dribble that comes from jimbob. Sounds like a non-senior type that wants everything fed to him like most kids today. When you put your time in and earn your seniority, you should have your perks. Sorta like the military, earn your position. Even with the posting by cpk2112 that I thought put it pretty good, you're going to have the blabber types. Be good

Oh I like the comments. So let's get all the stuff correct. In the West(GI) bids came every year. Or if runs were cancelled or added unless it was close to bid time then they would wait until so. Now if someone comes from P&D or terminal transfer he falls at the bottom of senority. If a new terminal opens then he would carrry your senority and if a new terminal opens and two months later you transfer you would go below the new hire. Now Estes with their bids it does have good and bad. In a large terminal when runs come and go I would say the term lifetime really means nothing. But a small terminal where, yes a place where the guys dies is when a run opens with little or nothing of changes you are on stuck doing the same thing or if it's cut then you have nothing but a sytem board bid thats not good. The bottom line is GI's way was always to honor senority and then it was passed on to the young guys from timed served

To Jim Bob and any others who think like him. Excluding the gentleman who posted a very sincere,articulate stance on the issue of bidding runs. Now Jim Bob I want you to pay special attention to this,because you seem to be more confused than most. The ltl trucking companys, out west,who have remained non union over the years,have done so by respecting senority to the utmost. Senority means everything. You are taught this from day one. Crappy truck. Crappy run. Crappy time of the year for vacation. You are the new kid on the block. Act like one. Don't expect the perks that the senority guys have. Untill youv'e earned it!! Estes won't even use the word senority. "years of service" I think they call it.If you treat your employees like a union shop ie. top pay,benefits,pension etc. and reward the people who have stuck around to build this empire, they won't seek outside representation!! How do you think G.I. remained non union for fifty years Jim Bob?????I bet you they didn't follow the Estes doctrine. ie. Give the new trucks to the new guys. Bid vacations picking one week then rotating around the senority list to get your second week. What a slap in the face that one is! LIFE TIME BIDS need I say more? Why don't I just leave if I don't like it here? I saved you the typing. I didn't sign on with Estes. They kid napped me and my G.I. brothers. I am stuck with them (FOR NOW)

To Jim Bob and any others who think like him. Excluding the gentleman who posted a very sincere,articulate stance on the issue of bidding runs. Now Jim Bob I want you to pay special attention to this,because you seem to be more confused than most. The ltl trucking companys, out west,who have remained non union over the years,have done so by respecting senority to the utmost. Senority means everything. You are taught this from day one. Crappy truck. Crappy run. Crappy time of the year for vacation. You are the new kid on the block. Act like one. Don't expect the perks that the senority guys have. Untill youv'e earned it!! Estes won't even use the word senority. "years of service" I think they call it.If you treat your employees like a union shop ie. top pay,benefits,pension etc. and reward the people who have stuck around to build this empire, they won't seek outside representation!! How do you think G.I. remained non union for fifty years Jim Bob?????I bet you they didn't follow the Estes doctrine. ie. Give the new trucks to the new guys. Bid vacations picking one week then rotating around the senority list to get your second week. What a slap in the face that one is! LIFE TIME BIDS need I say more? Why don't I just leave if I don't like it here? I saved you the typing. I didn't sign on with Estes. They kid napped me and my G.I. brothers. I am stuck with them (FOR NOW)
:clap::Poke::bgroovy::tribe: