Estes | Re-Bids and Runs

I and most of the people I talk with are convinced that Estes has no vested interest in creating an atmosphere that respects high senority. If that looks apealing to you new hires at the moment. Just remember my words when you get some years under your belt and you see newbies being pampered. And as far as getting my information correct in regards to terminal senority issues verses company senority slow ride stated it correctly. I don't care what you think is fare. The only way to conduct these issues is by company senority period. It's not called greed. It's called earning your position. If you are not aware of how business is done out west JIM BOB Ask the other trucking companys what they do in regards to bidding runs. At Fed ex freight if your run is cancelled, they rebid the board right away. They don't stick you on the extra board. At least in the smaller terminals. I do my home work. Do you?

I and most of the people I talk with are convinced that Estes has no vested interest in creating an atmosphere that respects high senority. If that looks apealing to you new hires at the moment. Just remember my words when you get some years under your belt and you see newbies being pampered. And as far as getting my information correct in regards to terminal senority issues verses company senority slow ride stated it correctly. I don't care what you think is fare. The only way to conduct these issues is by company senority period. It's not called greed. It's called earning your position. If you are not aware of how business is done out west JIM BOB Ask the other trucking companys what they do in regards to bidding runs. At Fed ex freight if your run is cancelled, they rebid the board right away. They don't stick you on the extra board. At least in the smaller terminals. I do my home work. Do you?

yes i do. and acually they dont have to rebid right away and FXF has kinda a blend of seniority. and i wish i could remember the name of it when they do a complete rebid, which goes by company seniority , or when they do a rebid by terminal senority. sorry it is 345 am here so not thinking so clearly.

also just so you know i am #6 in seniority at my terminal. and ill tell you point blank why i want the Estes way of bidding. the run i am on i dont like, i work nights and drive over 2 11,000 foot hills to get to my turn point. i highly doubt that anyone wil transfer in to my terminal because of the runs avail. at my terminal there are day runs and night runs. now at some point i hope to get on a day run, when people retire and such, BUT until then i want the people that are on the day runs to be on those runs till they retire. 1 of the guys on hat run is a very close and personal friend of mine, and he is older, so i dont want to see someone come to my terminal and take his run away from him and make him run at night and throw chains 150 times a year. now you can call me selfish if you like but that my friend is why i like " lifetime" bids.

oh and for all those wondering where i am at this should be pretty easy to figure out.

and i will tell you what you come and run my run, over the contniental divide every night, with the 50mph winds and 2 feet of snow on the road in blizzard conditions on 7% grades on the interestate and 8% grades on the haz-mat route, which is 12,000feet from Oct - June and ill run yours :D i could really use a vacation after this year, and its the wet season now :funky:

the funniest thing that you are failing to notice is that estes does take care of the senior drivers. but either i am not saying it so you can understand or you do want to hear it.

terminal senority with annual bids is great. you are at a terminal you pay your dues, you drive the crap trucks on the crap runs. and when someone leaves you move up the board. the guy above you , quits, gets fired, transfers you get his run UNLESS someone else above you wants its. i got it i understand. i think we can agree with that. at least i hope we can.

company senority with lifetime bids works great also. you put in your time with the company. at your terminal if someone quits, gets fired or transfers that run is up for bid, if noone else above you wants that run you get it. and its yours until you quit, get fired, or transfer. i hope we can agree with that. also if for some reason you dont want to do that run anymore you can give it up, that is risky cause you may go to the extra board or maybe someone else doesnt like thier run and maybe you can just swap if noone above you wants that other run.

the Estes west way is company senority and anual bids. now lets just say you have this nice easy run from sacramento to la mirada during the day. you have been with the company for 15 years. last year you got that nice easy run cuse someone left, for whatever reason. your run before was from Sac. to reno. this year i transfer in from tampa, and i have 16 years with the company. when the rebids come out i am gunna take your nice easy run away from you and you will go back to nights running to reno over the pass. now with G.I.'s old policy i would never get the easy run till everyone above me left :D and with Estes policy i wont get it till you leave. however with Estes west policy i will get it the next time bids come up. i dont think that it is right that i can come into your terminal , take your run having NEVER spent 1 night on that pass, never once put on a chain in my life. i have not paid my dues at that terminal, i may have with the company but not at the terminal. and i dont think thats right. if you do that you bro it aint me.

now you talk about canceled runs. it is the slow season, yes its a lot slower than we had hoped, things are tight, but if they are canceling runs now i am sure they will be opening new runs in the future once things pick up. whenever there is a new run avail. the terminal is suppose to open the bids back up, i use suppose because we know it doesnt always happen like that, at that point we all get to rebid with BOTH policies. and then you can pick and choose what run you want. and like the last guy said, pick wisely, less miles but secure or the more miles less secure, that is your choice.

i have tried to be concice and nice in this post. and i notice you asked how G.I. stayed non union for 50 years. my question to you is, how did Estes stay non union for 75 years on the east coast? yes it probly was a different company under the old man, but that was then this is now. i have worked for other ltl companys in the past. they did things that i didnt like , such as conway using the linedrivers as dock workers for 4 to 5 hours a night, didnt liek it, i quit because of that. when i came back the the ltl companys that was 1 thing that brougt me to G.I., and i am glad estes has the same policy as G.I. reguarding that, or i would not be here any longer.

i will be awaiting your next post.

hey jimbob,what happens when let's say a run opens and it is a little better than yours and you bid and get it. now about 50 days later one of those nice daytime runs open and because you haven't been on your new run for 90 days you can't bid and a guy with less years ends up on the cushy lifetime daytime run you've waited for. do you think that would still be fair? not trying to stir the pot just giving you something to think about because i have seen it happen.

When someone transfers from the East to the West they will follow the West senority policies. You will go to the bottom and start from there. If you go from the West to the East you will exercise your senority.

hey jimbob,what happens when let's say a run opens and it is a little better than yours and you bid and get it. now about 50 days later one of those nice daytime runs open and because you haven't been on your new run for 90 days you can't bid and a guy with less years ends up on the cushy lifetime daytime run you've waited for. do you think that would still be fair? not trying to stir the pot just giving you something to think about because i have seen it happen.

good question, i may have said that wrong. if i bid a run and get it and 50 days later a new bid opens up, i can get that bid if i want it also. the 90 days is if you transfer in from a different terminal. not if you bid on a run. good question though for if i caused some confusion on that point :D

When someone transfers from the East to the West they will follow the West senority policies. You will go to the bottom and start from there. If you go from the West to the East you will exercise your senority.

true to a point. however the west policy is anual bid useing company seniority. not terminal senority. so yes if i transfer in to the west i will go to the bottom of the board until the new bids come out. THEN, i can use my company seniority to get a better run and bump people with less company seniority. provided that i have been at that terminal for 90 days or more.

now if i transfer from the west to the east. i will be on the bottom of the board until a new bid opens up, or someone gives up thier run. at that point i can use my company senority to bid off the bottom. provided that i have been at that terminal for 90 days or more.

now after i have read and have thought about these post i have came to a conclusion. if you want to be completely and utterly in favor of senority. the Estes west plan as it sits, annual bids with company senority, is the best way to protect the senior drivers through out the company. so no matter where you go in the estes west part of the company, provided that you have been at the terminal for more than 90 days, when the rebids come out you get the cake runs and it doesn't matter how long you have paid your " dues " at that company if someone has more company senority than you at the rebid time they will get what ever run they want. now i will be honest i do not like this at all. because there is no run security, every time someone transfers in from anywhere you have to wonder do they have more senority than me? will i be loosing my run next rebid? and it doesn't matter how much company senority you have, cuse i promise there is someone out there with more than you.

annual bids with terminal senority is great, however, it screws the guy that has been with the company longer than you, because he has to start at the bottom of the board and work his way up the board at that terminal. so we cant have that way to do it cuse it aint fair to the senior drivers. this was G.I.'s policy as it is at most other LTL companies.

company seonrity with lifetime bids works cuse, if a senior driver transfers in he will be at the bottom of the board until a new run become avail. then he can bid on that run and get it. but that screws the guy that has paid his " dues " at that terminal. but thats ok, right elvis, because he is a junior driver and he doesn't matter anyway :D

so i guess that the Estes West policy is truly the best policy for the senior driver. company senority and annual bids, that way the most senior driver, by company rankings, at each terminal will always get the run he want even if he has not spent any time at that terminal, other than the 90 days or more, paying his "dues "

now after i have read and have thought about these post i have came to a conclusion. if you want to be completely and utterly in favor of senority. the Estes west plan as it sits, annual bids with company senority, is the best way to protect the senior drivers through out the company. so no matter where you go in the estes west part of the company, provided that you have been at the terminal for more than 90 days, when the rebids come out you get the cake runs and it doesn't matter how long you have paid your " dues " at that company if someone has more company senority than you at the rebid time they will get what ever run they want. now i will be honest i do not like this at all. because there is no run security, every time someone transfers in from anywhere you have to wonder do they have more senority than me? will i be loosing my run next rebid? and it doesn't matter how much company senority you have, cuse i promise there is someone out there with more than you.

annual bids with terminal senority is great, however, it screws the guy that has been with the company longer than you, because he has to start at the bottom of the board and work his way up the board at that terminal. so we cant have that way to do it cuse it aint fair to the senior drivers. this was G.I.'s policy as it is at most other LTL companies.

company seonrity with lifetime bids works cuse, if a senior driver transfers in he will be at the bottom of the board until a new run become avail. then he can bid on that run and get it. but that screws the guy that has paid his " dues " at that terminal. but thats ok, right elvis, because he is a junior driver and he doesn't matter anyway :D

so i guess that the Estes West policy is truly the best policy for the senior driver. company senority and annual bids, that way the most senior driver, by company rankings, at each terminal will always get the run he want even if he has not spent any time at that terminal, other than the 90 days or more, paying his "dues "

You know Jim Bob, I have quietly been monitoring your posts the last couple days, and I was beginning to almost kinda like you. You toned down your anti G.I. senior driver rhetoric. And were actually constructing a semi coherent rebuttal to my point of view. But low and behold you just couldn't resist. That rib shot you sent my way, insinuating that I deem junior drivers as insignificant was uncalled for! I, just like every other driver, had no senority at on point. And as I posted before. The difference is that I did not get, nor did I feel I deserved the best of the best untill I served some time. Thats the way I feel . Thats how I will always feel about this issue. You disagree. Thats fine. I think you are wrong. We can agree to disagree. Some day I'll buy you a beer, and beat you at pool,and we will laugh about it. BUT I will still be right and you will still be wrong!

you will be right on what point? yes i threw that dig in on you cuse if i remeber right you have said senority is everything. so i naturaly assume you didnt care what happens below you. if thats not true sorry.

i did however what to see what you had to say about my posts and if you agreed or disagreed with what i have said.

i do believe that they are accuarate, and wanted to hear your rebuttal.

and btw i dont think a brand new hire should get the best of the best. however i do believe that if a run would be safer and better servered to have a twin-screw instead of a single screw. that run should get a twin-screw REGUARDLESS who is on the run. what are your feeling on that?

and btw i dont think a brand new hire should get the best of the best. however i do believe that if a run would be safer and better servered to have a twin-screw instead of a single screw. that run should get a twin-screw REGUARDLESS who is on the run. what are your feeling on that?
Necessity of run First, of course. Then let drivers with seniority get the newer. I've been through this scenario and it burns my butt too when a senior guy assumes he gets what he wants no matter the run. Don't get me wrong, seniority deserve the perks, but if a twin screw is needed for a run more than another, than that is where it belongs. Otherwise, like most terminals that run doubles or triples only have single screw anyway and it doesn't subject that problem to the drivers. Obviously twin screws belong with the long boxes.

lol wow, not like that in the east lol

they swapped my tandem out with a single axl and i pull more vans than doubles for sure. and when its a little heavy for a single they tell me to go get somebody elses tandem. which means go get a loaner from the shop and they usually are not fit to be on the road.

here truck stays with the run, so when you bid you switch trucks usually

Necessity of run First, of course. Then let drivers with seniority get the newer. I've been through this scenario and it burns my butt too when a senior guy assumes he gets what he wants no matter the run. Don't get me wrong, seniority deserve the perks, but if a twin screw is needed for a run more than another, than that is where it belongs. Otherwise, like most terminals that run doubles or triples only have single screw anyway and it doesn't subject that problem to the drivers. Obviously twin screws belong with the long boxes.

i agree twin screws belong with longboxes. but also it feels much more secure in a twin screw under a set of triples than with a single screw. and doubles for that matter. i really truly wish that the company would get rid of the single screws all together :D but i know that wont happen.

and it is so nice to be in agreement with you MTHelmet :D

good question, i may have said that wrong. if i bid a run and get it and 50 days later a new bid opens up, i can get that bid if i want it also. the 90 days is if you transfer in from a different terminal. not if you bid on a run. good question though for if i caused some confusion on that point :D

unless they changed the policy and someone can correct me if i'm wrong,you may want to check into this. when i was with estes if you bid a run you clould NOT bid another run within 90 days regardless of senority. now has far has the 90 days that was also for transfering terminals. if you went to a new terminal then after 90 days you got all your senority back. i will have to check this with guys i know out of terminals 29 and 17. i know i was there when the expansion really kicked in in the late 90's and they were adding new runs all the time. there were alot of senior guys that got the shaft because of this policy.

depends on how you look at it, from the company viewpoint you have guys that just switch all the time. this creates a domino effect and runs take 10 times longer to fill.

this is the reason i like the way our bids go. some guy that no matter what run it is will not be happy. so in turn he just constantly messes with other peoples lives.

true to a point. however the west policy is anual bid useing company seniority. not terminal senority. so yes if i transfer in to the west i will go to the bottom of the board until the new bids come out. THEN, i can use my company seniority to get a better run and bump people with less company seniority. provided that i have been at that terminal for 90 days or more.

now if i transfer from the west to the east. i will be on the bottom of the board until a new bid opens up, or someone gives up thier run. at that point i can use my company senority to bid off the bottom. provided that i have been at that terminal for 90 days or more.
The real issue is they have no real works rules, they apply what they want for each occasion. Meaning they told the West it would be the same you go from P&D to Line you give up your spot and work up from the bottom also if you transfer the same. But with Estes they always seem not to remember what they say or do. Bottom line is these kind of problems with cast out any chance of any good employee to stay and build a career and that is what they will never have when compared to other carriers they love the revolving door

unless they changed the policy and someone can correct me if i'm wrong,you may want to check into this. when i was with estes if you bid a run you clould NOT bid another run within 90 days regardless of senority. now has far has the 90 days that was also for transfering terminals. if you went to a new terminal then after 90 days you got all your senority back. i will have to check this with guys i know out of terminals 29 and 17. i know i was there when the expansion really kicked in in the late 90's and they were adding new runs all the time. there were alot of senior guys that got the shaft because of this policy.

i have not heard that, therefore i shall do some diggin' and find out. that is interesting :D thanx for the info

depends on how you look at it, from the company viewpoint you have guys that just switch all the time. this creates a domino effect and runs take 10 times longer to fill.

this is the reason i like the way our bids go. some guy that no matter what run it is will not be happy. so in turn he just constantly messes with other peoples lives.

i guess your correct if using your senority is messing with other peoples lives.

when you bid you have to stay on that run for 90 days. unless nobody within your classification wants the run. then you can switch again before say a city driver wants it.

this protects all the other linehaul guys from getting screwed from the guy who just bidded
jumping around all the place.

ok an example

run #1 gets posted for linehaul

i get it with 2 years linehaul senority.

run #2 gets posted 1 month after run #1 gets filled.

a guy with less time can get run #2. now if nobody in linehaul wants run #2 i can get it. if i dont want it then city/hub can bid it.

any questions?

i guess your correct if using your senority is messing with other peoples lives.

you are right it isnt messing with peoples lives, bumping guys off of thier runs does that.

i think the company does that because they want the run posted and bidded and done with. not some guy floating around like some turd.